correct sentence

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:01 pm
There were many guests at Shangri La Hotel(,) some of whom have been coming (here) for many years.

There were many guests at Shangri La Hotel(,) of whom some have been coming (here) for many years.

Which of the sentences is correct? I remember having seen both in print. Is the comma required? Is 'here' necessary?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 479 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:04 pm
Yes, the comma is correct because the second clause is not necessarily necessary to the point, which is that there were many guests.

But I find the second clause wrong - I think it should be "many of whom had been coming" - keep the tenses the same.

JMO, and I'm looking forward to contrex's pedantic opposition to this.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:11 pm
Mame wrote:
Yes, the comma is correct because the second clause is not necessarily necessary to the point, which is that there were many guests.

But I find the second clause wrong - I think it should be "many of whom had been coming" - keep the tenses the same.

Thanks, Mame. Apart from the verb 'had', is the second sentence correct?
The clause is 'of whom some'.

You're expecting Contrex to disagree with your answer. I think the reason is Contrex uses British English, while you use American English.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 12:55 pm
Mame wrote:

It depends. If the sentence is meant to imply that the guests were frequent visitors in the past but no longer are in the present (i.e. they had been coming for many years but no longer do so today), then you would be correct. If the sentence is meant to imply that the guests were frequent visitors in the past and still are today, then have been coming is correct.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 01:32 pm
Mame wrote:

I'll object.
The high regard in which I hold you, Mame, must not deflect me from doing my duty.

The first sentence is better, the comma should be included, and I would not use "had" in the phrase. It was fine the way it was. "Had" there would mean to me that they have stopped coming.

There were many guests at the Shangri-La Hotel, some of whom have been coming for many years.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 01:35 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:

You're expecting Contrex to disagree with your answer. I think the reason is Contrex uses British English, while you use American English.

No, contrex is equally at home in either.

We just like to disagree with each other.

Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 02:13 pm
McTag wrote:
Mame wrote:

I'll object.
The high regard in which I hold you, Mame, must not deflect me from doing my duty.

The first sentence is better, the comma should be included, and I would not use "had" in the phrase. It was fine the way it was. "Had" there would mean to me that they have stopped coming.

There were many guests at the Shangri-La Hotel, some of whom have been coming for many years.

Good points. Thank you.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2007 03:53 pm
Contrex would have pulled me up on my grammar, for which I apologise:

I should have written "must not deter me from doing my duty", or alternatively, "must not deflect me from my duty".

Embarrassed
0 Replies