everyone / every one

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 04:53 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Everyone means 'every person, all the people.' Every one means every single thing or person.

(Extracted from The Oxford School A-Z of English)

The definitive answer. Thank you, Yoong Liat!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 05:17 am
You're welcome, Contrex.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:15 am
Re: everyone / every one
Yoong Liat wrote:
I thank everyone/every one who came to my birthday party.

I think I should use every one. Am I correct?

Many thanks.

So, you looked it up yourself and answered your own question. You would use EVERYONE in your sentence. But you would say, I'd like to thank EVERY ONE OF YOU for coming to my party.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:25 am
Mame, I think you've misunderstood me. I didn't know the answer before I posted the question. You should know by now that I post questions to learn more.

I know we should say "I thanked every one of my friends who came to my birthday party." However, between 'everyone' and 'every one' standing on their own, I didn't know which one to use.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 06:29 am
Well, you looked it up and found the right answer so maybe you should do that first. You can then ask for clarification of what you've read. You often get conflicting advice here.

What we're good for is everyday usage.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:15 am
Quote:
But you would say, I'd like to thank EVERY ONE OF YOU for coming to my party.

Would he? Especially after having read this thread, we will know, when we see "I'd like to thank every one" that the writer meant "each of you", and when we see "I'd like to thank everyone" that the writer meant "all of you", whether or not the optional and unnecessary "of you" is appended.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:02 am
Hi Mame

I think you understand now. Although I've read about 'every one' and 'everyone' in the book, I wasn't sure whether it should "I'd like to thank everyone" or "I'd like to thank every one."

To you, it should be "I'd like to thank every one of you." But to Contrex 'of you' is not obligatory.

Therefore, I think you now understand why I posted the query.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:23 am
dadpad wrote:
Inreresting question Yoong.

I would use everyone when applied to a group of people and every one when applied to a group of inanimate objects.

Every one of the objects in the box was red.

Everyone in the group wore red.

I agree!

And from Dadpad:

Well I would actually disagree here, if that's what contrex said. I think it is incorrect or at least unusual to write "I thank every one who came to my party". In such cases, I would always use "everyone".

As well, your dictionary was in agreement, so it looks like we have a consensus and Contrex is just being pedantic (definition: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned) and playing with semantics.

Edit: Got my quotes mixed up or something - anyway I meant to include McTag's comments, thereby rendering the consensus. I don't know how to nest or do more than one quote in a post.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:36 am
It was me.

Am I just anyone? I'm certainly not any one.

I never disagree with contrex unless it's necessary. In this case, it is.

Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:14 am
I thought it was you, and I agree that you're not just anyone Smile
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:24 am
Mame wrote:
dadpad wrote:
Inreresting question Yoong.

I would use everyone when applied to a group of people and every one when applied to a group of inanimate objects.

Every one of the objects in the box was red.

Everyone in the group wore red.

I agree!

And from Dadpad:

Well I would actually disagree here, if that's what contrex said. I think it is incorrect or at least unusual to write "I thank every one who came to my party". In such cases, I would always use "everyone".

As well, your dictionary was in agreement, so it looks like we have a consensus and Contrex is just being pedantic (definition: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned) and playing with semantics.

Edit: Got my quotes mixed up or something - anyway I meant to include McTag's comments, thereby rendering the consensus. I don't know how to nest or do more than one quote in a post.

Hi Mame

'Everyone' means 'every person, all the people.' Every one means every single thing or person.

(Extracted from The Oxford School A-Z of English)

If you say "Every one is used for things only" you do not agree with the above book. The book is on BrE. Is it different in AmE?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:54 am
I did not say "every one" was used for things only. My example was "Every one of you" - that implies PEOPLE, does it not?

I said I agreed that I would use "everyone" in your sentence to imply all of them in the group, and "every one" in a different sense. YOUR DICTIONARY WAS RIGHT. Enough said! This is getting ridiculous.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:28 am
Mame wrote:
I did not say "every one" was used for things only. My example was "Every one of you" - that implies PEOPLE, does it not?

I said I agreed that I would use "everyone" in your sentence to imply all of them in the group, and "every one" in a different sense. YOUR DICTIONARY WAS RIGHT. Enough said! This is getting ridiculous.

I agree, especially since that is exactly what I have been saying all along.
0 Replies