offers

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:23 am
Describing the typical modality of such offers, the Reserve Bank of India stated that certain foreign entities / individuals, including Indian residents acting as representatives of such entities / individuals, make offers through letters / emails, etc., of huge money in foreign currency to resident individuals / entities (including schools / hospitals), on the pretext of helping them in their business / ventures in India.

what does the above sentence mean? especially the word "offers".

thank you !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 526 • Replies: 8
No top replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 04:21 am
It's a horrible sentence, isn't it?

"offers" means "offers of help"/ "offers to provide a service"

or in other words, they say that they can act as an intermediary in a transaction.

The sentence is a warning about bogus or misleading claims.
0 Replies

flyhighsky

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:02 am
Thank you very much for giving me so detailed an explanation!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 05:44 am
Well it wasn't really detailed (if you were being serious) and to be truthful, it's difficult to write an explanation or "translation" without using the word "offer" again!

But the sentence is unnecessarily complicated. Unfortunately this is quite common in what we call officialese.
0 Replies

flyhighsky

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:42 am
Honor McTag,thank you for telling me my questions that I have.
You know,my English is very poor! I am sorry!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:05 am
You are welcome! And there's no need to say sorry. There are several of us here who are quite happy to give hints and tips on English style, grammar, or meanings.

Especially to people who are trying hard to learn the language, or to improve their English.

Which country are you from?
0 Replies

flyhighsky

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:18 am
Mr McTag, thanks for your support and encourgement ! I am from China.P.R.
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 02:54 pm
It means:

The Reserve Bank described the typical scam this way:
foreign groups, people, (including Indian residents who claim that they represent others), and other individuals are offering "deals" that promise large amounts of money. They are sending these message by letter or emails to people (all over the world)

They are sending these offers to individuals living here and even groups, including schools and hospitals. These "deals" promise to help people by giving them large amounts of money, with the promise that they can help their business.

__________________________-

In the USA, we are getting many of these offers by email. The person tells us he or she is an "agent" for a bank or other group that needs our help to get a large sum of money.

They want us to send them a small amount of money and will invest it, or exchange it, or put it into the bank. Then say they need our money to complete the business deal. They say they will be able to take a large amount of money out of the bank then, and pay us back, with even more money!

It is a TRICK, a scam!!

They Keep our money and we never get it back or get any other money.
Many people have been victims of this scam.
Beware!!
0 Replies

flyhighsky

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 01:50 am
thank you very much!
0 Replies