Paradise Lost - The Robin Hood Hills Murders

wandeljw

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 11:03 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Another thing that struck me when reading some of the notes in the back of the book is why didn't anyone consider Christopher Byers was being abused on a regular basis? The classic behavioral signs were there! That, along with the fact he is the one that received the most mutilation, raises a big red flag to me. Did it for any of you?

The "red flag" may have been different for me. Mr. Byers was an informant for many years. Someone may have been retaliating or trying to send a message. (The other boys were victims because they were with Christopher.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 12:49 pm
You know, I never even thought of that. I guess that's because of his affect in the film.

Did anyone watch that Cold Case episode? It wasn't exactly what happened at Robin Hood Hills but it is obvious that is where they got it from. The killer in that one had an interesting motive.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2008 12:55 pm
I stayed up reading until 4 AM. I woke my husband up a couple of times with my "What?! Are you kidding me?!" outbursts. Laughing

I hope that an attorney on this forum just might be following along because I have a question.

How in the world can a Judge allow a trial to continue when the Supreme Court has ruled that his seating of the jury was in error? Judge Burnett allowed the voir dire of the jurors in the Baldwin-Echols trial to be held in his chambers much to the objection of the defense! The Supereme Court was petitioned and gave its ruling just a few days into the Baldwin-Echols trial. Why wasn't a mistrial immediately called and a new jury seated?

I nearly came out of my bed on that one! If the jury is improperly impaneled how in the world can the trial be fair?

That was only one concern, albeit a huge one. Michael Carson (I believe that's his name) had confessed to the murders! But they treated his confession completely the opposite of Jessie Misskelly's. Yet, they both had confessed and recanted, etc.

Also, in the Baldwin-Echols' trial there was to be NO mention of Jessie Misskelly's confession since he was not testifying at the trial, yet, when it was said (paraphrased) ........."in Misskelly's statement he said"..........the defense immediately called for a mistrial but the Judge allowed the testimony!

Not to mention the obvious misconduct of the prosecution moving Jessie from prison promising him sex with his girlfriend and beer so they could get him to testify against Jason and Damien! Shocked And the Judge said there was no misconduct!

I am no expert in any way about this kind of thing and please tell me if I am wrong, but are the rest of you finding this an absolutely glaring miscarriage of justice? Am I missing something?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:40 pm
If you would like to see Larry King's interview of Damien Echols in December of 2007 here is the link to it:

http://www.wm3.org/live/newsevents/index.php
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
Quote:
April hearing planned in new appeal of 1993 WM killing case
(By Jon Gambrell, The Associated Press, February 28, 2008)

An appeal by one of the men convicted as teenagers in the 1993 slayings of three 8-year-old West Memphis boys will go before a judge in April, the first hearing in nearly a decade to consider questions about the evidence that convicted him, his attorney said.

Dennis Riordan, a lawyer representing death-row inmate Damien Echols, said the hearing has been set by Circuit Judge David Burnett for April 14 in Craighead County Circuit Court at Jonesboro. The hearing, initially planned to examine all the evidence in Echols' wide-ranging appeal, likely will focus only on setting a schedule for the case.

However, Riordan said it had been a while since lawyers stood before a judge arguing over the case's evidence.

"It was not this century," Riordan said.

Echols, now 33, was sentenced to death for the slayings of Stevie Branch, Christopher Byers and Michael Moore. Jason Baldwin, now 30, received a life sentence without parole, while Jessie Misskelley, now 32, received a life-plus-40-year sentence for the killings.

The three victims disappeared May 5, 1993, while riding bicycles in their quiet, tree-lined neighborhood. The bodies of the three Cub Scouts were found the next day in a watery ditch near their homes.

The Arkansas Supreme Court later upheld the convictions, but a documentary on the killings sparked interest across the Internet.

In October, Echols filed a new appeal claiming that DNA evidence newly able to be tested from the crime scene showed no trace of the three convicted in the killings. The appeal also included evidence from forensic experts saying the mutilation of one of the boys likely was performed by an animal after the boys were killed.

A federal judge ordered that the appeal first be heard in state courts. In the time since that order, attorneys have worked toward having a full evidentiary hearing in late spring. However, that proved impossible as prosecutors continue to work their way through Echols' nearly 200-page brief, Riordan said.

Echols' new appeal hasn't even been filed yet in the state court, Riordan said, in part because lawyers plan to include new evidence they recently gathered. He said other DNA tests have not been finished.

Riordan said lawyers for all the men and prosecutors agreed to file a statement to Burnett asking him to hold the April hearing regardless.

"The thrust of the statement is that there are still discovery motions and petitions we're talking about ... that have not been filed," Riordan said. "What makes sense is to appear April 14 to set out a schedule."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm
Thnk you so much for the update Wandeljw. I am so glad to hear that a hearing has been set! I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything will come about but it's a step!

A few nights ago, I talked to some guy in a chat room that said he knew Damien Echols, when his name was still Michael. He lives in West Memphis and said it is the general concensus that Mark Byers had something to do with it. He said Damien was really a shy person but he understood how they focused on him because of his oddities. He also said that most believe Mark Byers had something to do with Melissa's death. The "rumor mill" states Melissa was about to come out with the truth. Don't know what that's worth but...............

He didn't believe there was enough evidence to convict either. I am praying that things are going to change for these three. With today's technology, etc., surely at the very least some kind of official investigation will be ordered by someone!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:47 am
Here is a link to an interview that was supposed to air on the Leeza Gibbons show. It doesn't say what the date was supposed to be but for some reason, they pulled the show before it aired. Pretty interesting.

Mark Beyers denied any criminal record! Shocked

http://www.wm3.org/live/caseinfo/jmb.php?page=1
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 10:46 am
Quote:
Judge schedules dates for West Memphis case
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:53 am
Thanx so much for posting this wandeljw. I know September is only a few short months away but I can imagine it is feeling like a long time to the
West Memphis three. I pray the truth comes out soon and all concerned can finally put this to rest.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:55 am
Same here!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:26 pm
What's ironic is that people are saying the 3 got convicted because they are "different", but then they point the finger at the father because he is "different".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:45 pm
Laughing TTH,

That's a good one. I kind of agree and I kind of don't. Yes, Mark Byers is a very different type of person. No one can deny that. But there are just so many inconsistencies in his story throughout all of this. I would go from well I think he did it to I don't think he did. Right now, I have no clue as to whether he did it or not. The only thing I am convinced of is that Jesse, Damien, and Jason did NOT do it and, that is based strictly on the evidence I've seen and read.

They are reopening old cases every day and solving them with today's technology. Hopefully, they can solve this one. I am sure that everyone concerned throughout the world (now) will be happy to see the resolution to this.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:50 pm
Will wait & see what happens. I am all for convicting the guilty.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:45 pm
I am praying the DNA evidence is going to be enough for a new trial at the very least. If this evidence is strong enough for a new trial, perhaps it will be strong enough to point the finger in the direction of the real perpetrator(s).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 11:23 pm
Why have I not found this until now I will never know.

I have for years been following the case. I saw the documentaries years ago when they first came out and was seriously compelled to keep track of this one. It's been like 13 years now. It's awful.

Just yesterday I watched the Legal Defense Team Press Conference from November. It is about 2 hours worth of stuff but, if you are interested in the case it's worth a look.

WM3 11/07 Press Conference

Hearings have now been scheduled for September 8th through October 3rd. As wandeljw posted the news articles there for you.

For news, updates, defense fund contributions, charity events and fundraisers always check the website:

www.wm3.org
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 05:13 am
Hi quinn1,

I will definitely check the conference out this weekend when I am off work. This is, indeed, a tragic miscarriage of justice. Perhaps so many people getting involved and keeping it fresh in the minds of the justice system and the public will yield the freedom of these three young men.

Thank you for the links!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 05:16 am
Thank you Quinn. I'll also be watching it later.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 06:43 pm
I would imagine the West Memphis Three are looking forward to this new set of hearings. I am praying the truth will come out and these boys will be found innocent. I honestly do not believe they are guilty. It's hard to imagine something like this could have happened considering the forensics, etc., we have available today. It makes a world of difference obviously.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 10:06 pm
I am still not convinced one way or another. Still waiting to see what happens.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2008 08:39 am
@TTH,
Latest News: Motions for a New Trial concerning the DNA have been denied for all three men by Judge Burnett.

However, hearings for Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley are continuing. They will be held in the Craighead County Courthouse in Jonesboro. Jason's hearing dates are September 24-26. Jessie's hearing dates are September 29-October 1. There will be no hearing for Damien Echols.

I am sadly disappointed.