Paradise Lost - The Robin Hood Hills Murders

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
@falon,
Okay that is ringing a bell about the fourth boy. I am trying to actually read both books and compare them. I am really stuck on the Mr Bojangles situation. How in the world can they just ignore that? It could have been some truck driver that killed those boys and got away scott free! Even if Damien and them did it, the police were still totally incompetent! I don't know that much about the law but I would think this would be enough to cause some reasonable doubt. It is supposed to rain all weekend here so I am going to have my nose in those books.

Have you seen any of the videos of Damien and Jessie and Jason from years after their incarceration? They definitely are not the same boys they were. This is such a disturbing case. I am gonna find out if there is some way we can get those trial transcripts. The little bit of clips on youtube of the trial just are not enough. So much stuff has been said and so much left out it is so hard to know what is even close to the truth.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 08:19 am
Another May 5 has come and thank God it is not Damien's execution date! There are just too many unanswered questions (at least in my mind). Here is the latest:

http://wm3.vox.com/

Maybe, just maybe, a special judge can do something. I really don't understand why Judge Burnett should have had any opportunity for any further rulings concerning this case. Wouldn't he naturally be predisposed to denying any appeals? I would have thought it would have to be a different judge making these rulings?
TTH

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
It states that the appeal will go to the Arkansas Supreme Court. The judge will look at the case and make a decision.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:43 pm
@TTH,
So what do you think, TTH? You think they are guilty? Enough new evidence and proof of incompetent police work to get a new trial? Totally innocent? You might have already stated how you feel way back I guess I could go look. I can't believe we have been talking about this for three years.
TTH

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:16 am
@Arella Mae,
I don't know if they are guilty or not. It would be interesting to see the police reports and court transcript even though the transcript would be 1,000s of pages.

From personal experience, I don't give much weight to what people write in newspapers, books or even state on tv unless they are directly involved in the investigation of the crime. Too often the media and others do not have their facts straight. They will report or say things that never happened, otherwise fill in the blanks when there are voids. I still see that happening even now.
Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:01 am
@TTH,
I tend to agree with you on that TTH. It is very evident that the media exploited the heck out of those people in that town in the first Paradise Lost. I do pray someday the truth does come out.

I am appalled at how many what seem to be plausible leads to me were just ignored. It seems the "satantic ritual murder" theory was latched onto from the gitgo and nothing else was considered.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 11:38 am
I was just watching A Cry for Innocence, a documentary aired on CBS this February and I must tell you it brings tears to my eyes. I saw a side of Pam Hobbs I didn't see in Paradise Lost, where she was popping her gum, dressed in red, and laughing. God forgive me for ever thinking she didn't care enough about that child. If you watch this, be prepared because it hits ya pretty hard.

http://search.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6250668n
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 12:00 pm
I have finally had some time to do some real reading. With my horses, work, etc., it's been difficult finding time to sit and read. That is why I love audiobooks. I can do other things while reading.

Something is really nagging at me and I am not quite sure what it is. These "witnesses" that led the police to Damien Echols are not what I'd call credible. One of the Detectives immediately thought "Damien Echols did this." That really rubs me the wrong way.

I was glad to read that luminol was used at the site the bodies were found and it is believed the actual murders did take place there. I am bothered by a lot of what Damien had to say when he was interviewed but in light of all that was going on, maybe it isn't so incriminating. I am really glad this book is revealing a lot of things not shown in the documentaries and not mentioned in the other book.

Damien liked to shock people. He was rebellious. He was a sixteen (or 18?) year old kid and he has said himself, he said some pretty stupid things. Is it possible those things that sound so incriminating were actually just said to shock? It does appear at one time Damien was going to reveal something but then said (when asked about it) that he would only tell his doctor.

As of right now, I am still of the mindset the West Memphis Three did not do this but am open minded to other evidence and such that may be revealed in this book.

Something is nagging at me and I have no clue what it is. Something just not right somewhere. Know that feeling?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 29 Sep, 2010 11:40 am
Here is the latest on the West Memphis Three:

Quote:
Echols is asking the Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday to grant him a new trial. His lawyers want to present DNA evidence not available at the time of the trial, as well as testimony that supports arguments that Echols and the two others did not commit the crime.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/28/west.memphis.3.damien.echols/index.html?hpt=C2
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 09:39 pm
There is a chance that the convictions of the West Memphis three may be thrown out of court.

Quote:
Later this year, an Arkansas Supreme Court judge will determine if Echols and the rest of the West Memphis Three should have their convictions thrown out.

Prosecutors would then have the chance to retry them all and since they were sent to prison, the cases against them seem to have fallen apart.

Echols' attorneys plan to present DNA evidence not available at the time of the trial, as well as testimony that they say supports arguments that Echols and the two others are innocent.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/13/mattingly.west.memphis.three/index.html?hpt=Sbin
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2011 12:26 pm
If I understand this correctly, it looks like the West Memphis Three may get a new trial?

http://opinions.aoc.arkansas.gov/WebLink8/ElectronicFile.aspx?docid=50532&dbid=0
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 07:56 am
An Evidentiary Hearing has been set for 12/05/2011. I am praying this is a step in the right direction to get to the truth.
http://www.wm3.org/Updates
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 07:15 am
THE WEST MEMPHIS THREE COULD POSSIBLY BE FREED TODAY AFTER 18 YEARS IN PRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is a deal in the works!

Quote:
(CNN) -- Three men convicted of killing three West Memphis, Arkansas boys in 1993 could be freed after a court hearing Friday, a person close to the case told CNN.

The men -- Damien Echols, Jessie Misskelley Jr. and Jason Baldwin are expected to attend the hearing in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on Friday.

A source close to the case said a deal is in the works where the men -- dubbed the "West Memphis Three" -- can be freed Friday and maintain their innocence.

The case has drawn national attention, with actor Johnny Depp and singer Eddie Vedder, among other celebrities, trying to rally support for the men's release.

The father of Steven Branch, one of the victims, blasted the apparent agreement.

"I don't know what kind of deal they worked up," Steve Branch told CNN affiliate WMC-TV. "Now you can get some movie stars and a little bit of money behind you and you can walk free for killing somebody."

But Misskelley's father said his son should never have been convicted.

"I'm just glad to get my son home, that's all I know," Jessie Misskelley Sr. told WMC.

The deal involves a legal maneuver in which the three men would have to acknowledge that the state has evidence it could use to try and convict them, the person close to the case said.

Echols was sentenced to death and Misskelley and Baldwin were given life sentences in the May 1993 slayings of Steven and fellow second-graders Michael Moore and Christopher Byers. The boys' bodies were mutilated and left in a ditch, hogtied with their own shoelaces.

Prosecutors argued that the men convicted, teenagers at the time, were driven by satanic ritual and that Echols had been the ringleader.

DNA later failed to link the men to the crime, and the state Supreme Court ruled in November that all three could present new evidence to the trial court in an effort to clear them.

The DNA tests were conducted between December 2005 and September 2007, according to the Arkansas Supreme Court.

The material included hair from a ligature used to bind Moore and a hair recovered from a tree stump near where the bodies were found, court documents said.

The hair found in the ligature was consistent with Branch's stepfather, Terry Hobbs, while the hair found on the tree stump was consistent with the DNA of a friend of Hobbs', according to the documents.

Police have never considered Hobbs a suspect, and he maintains that he had nothing to do with the murders.

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 11:04 am
THEY ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/19/plea-deal-sets-imprisoned-men-free-in-13-memphis-3-murder-case/
Srishti000

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 07:08 pm
@falon,
What that opinion could have meant was that after the killing took place and the bodies were left in the open, the nocturnal animals in the area could have followed the scent and examined the dead bodies themselves, also keeping in mind that during this examination, they could have scratched/caused physical damage of sorts to the dead bodies.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2011 10:58 pm
@Arella Mae,
I really hope they are innocent. No one wants the guilty to go free. This has to be extremely hard on the victims family not knowing who killed their children.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2011 11:14 am
@trying2learn,
I truly believe they are innocent. I've been following this since the first time I saw the documentary on youtube years ago. I am not sure if there really is such a thing as closure in this kind of situation but I hope everyone can come to peace with it.

I could not imagine being in the shoes of those parents not knowing who killed their children. Terry Hobbs is the only one that believes the WM3 did this. Not to take anything from his feelings, but I wonder if his belief is somehow comforting to him? Or was while they were in jail?
trying2learn

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 12:35 am
@Arella Mae,
The 3 are out of prison. Did they commit the crime? I have no idea.
Arella Mae

Reply Mon 26 Mar, 2012 05:46 pm
@trying2learn,
I am glad they are out. I guess only them and God know the truth but I don't believe they did it.
trying2learn

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2012 04:25 pm
@Arella Mae,
I don't know if they did this crime. There are no winners. So many people and families hurt, as well as the children, that their lives will never be the same. I only hope they can live the rest of their lives in some sort of comfort.