Paradise Lost - The Robin Hood Hills Murders

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 03:36 am
Hey again, there were some things that were driving me nuts, so I had to go back and find some stuff.

In part 23 they show the water and the bikes on a log.

I couldn't stop thinking about the Hobbs guy the first time I watched everything because he was just too calm about the whole thing and thinks all should be forgiven. (Part 13 I believe)

I had to go back and watch him and something about that guy really rubs me the wrong way. He looks like a man who's got some guilt and I also see some fear in him.

I'm watching him closely!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 09:48 am
Hey Montana! Glad you joined our discussion.

Hobbs guy? Do you mean Pam Hobb's father? The one that told her she needed to forgive the kids that killed her son?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 02:36 pm
I am still reading along. I thought Montana meant the step-father?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 11:15 pm
TTH is right. I meant the husband (step father). He's the first one who mentioned the forgiveness and the father went along with what he was saying.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2008 11:21 pm
Apparently Mr (step father) and Mrs Hobbs are serarated now and Mrs Hobbs now believes the 3 men are innocent.

She's upset with her husband because he waited until he picked her up from work that night to tell her that her son was missing and I think she may suspect her husband as well. She's still confused about the whole thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:42 pm
Oh ok, thanx for clarifying TTH and Montana. Wasn't there something recently posted about Hobbs' DNA being on one of the tennis shoe laces? And that lace was on one of the other children?

I wish they'd tell more about that. It could be secondary transfer but hey, this case seems so messed up so who knows.

I am just not believing they accepted Jessie Misskelley's confession. The police did not feel that was the actual scene of the murder yet Misskelley said that is where the killings took place. Too many discrepancies.

I'm down with the flu so I'm not reading a whole bunch right now because I can't seem to retain it very well but the more I read the more this sounds like a railroad job to me.

I haven't heard from the water commission on that waterway. If anyone wants I can scan the picture in of where the bikes were found and post it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 09:54 pm
Yeah, the shoe laces leading back to Mr. Hobbs is something to seriously consider.

In part 23 they do show the detectives on a log with the boys bikes and they're looking into the water, where I assume the boys were found.

If they were, in fact, in the water, that would explain the lack of blood found, but I still wouldn't rule out that they may have been killed somewhere else and dumped there after.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:37 pm
The water....I thought it was strange that in most of the videos they show no water, but in #23 there is a short glimpse of the logs, water and bikes.

Edit:Arella Mae hope you are feeling better soon.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:42 pm
Arella, I also meant to tell you that I hope your feeling better soon. I feel for ya girl!

TTH, yeah, I found it strange as well that they only showed the water in that one part and I would have missed it if I hadn't gone back to look again.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:47 pm
I did miss the water the first time. Only after you mentioned it Montana that I went back and saw it. It doesn't even say that is where the boys were found.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 25 Jan, 2008 10:51 pm
I know. I am just assuming because the bikes were on the log and they were looking into the water.

This case has me hooked!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 07:19 pm
Ok I am thoroughly ticked. I have gotten halfway through Jessie's confession in the book. What a railroad job! It is pretty clear to me that the police actually lead him right into a confession taking advantage of his low IQ.

Will say more when I get further in the book.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 07:35 pm
Oh yeah, I know how that works. It's a dirty system!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 10:56 pm
Dirty is right! I just read where they played a tape for Jessie.....

Quote:
....Gitchell had also played him a tape recording featuring the eerie, disembodied voice of a child. The voice said spookily, "Nobody knows what happened but me." Jessie was not told-and would not know until much later--that the voice was that of Aaron Hutcheson. The six-word segment of tape that Gitchell played for Jessie had been extracted from an interview with Aaron that police had recorded a few days earlier.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Jan, 2008 11:28 pm
Oh, none of that surprises me in the least! They're not just asking nice questions during those interigations. They're emotionally abusing people into confessions by threatening them continuously for hours on end until they finally drive them to confess to stuff just to make them stop.

Sadly, it's been happening forever!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 12:15 am
This might interest you. I was watching some old Cold Case shows. This one seems to be taken straight from the West Memphis Three case. Just click on the one entitled Thrill Kill. When the video comes up click on Watch on Veoh TV and it will give you the whole episode.

http://www.movieforumz.com/showthread.php?t=62593
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 10:06 pm
I am finally over the flu! I will be picking the book up and reading again tomorrow!

I found this video of the review of the DNA evidence!

http://www.wm3.org/live/newsevents/newsitem.php?news_Id=160

0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 01:15 am
Arella & Montana, it seems to be an article of faith among police and prosecutors that no one ever makes a false confession. That attitude basically makes suspects fair game for any interrogation technique short of torture. The only protection suspects have seems to be the right to ask for a lawyer, but a naive & innocent suspect might well feel that he/she would have nothing to lose by cooperating with police, to their ultimate detriment.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 4 Feb, 2008 12:26 pm
Quote:
Stepdad of slain boy says he's 'done nothing wrong'
(Associated Press, February 4, 2008)

The stepfather of one of the three boys killed in West Memphis 15 years ago says his reputation is in ruins now that lawyers for the three men convicted in the slayings have rejuvenated the case.

Terry Hobbs told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that he's done nothing wrong - and that he wants people to know it.

Hobbs' stepson, Stevie Branch, was one of the three boys killed in West Memphis in 1993. Stevie, Michael Moore and Chris Byers disappeared while riding bicycles in their quiet, tree-lined neighborhood. The bodies of the three Cub Scouts were found the next day in a watery ditch near their homes.

Damien Echols was sentenced to death for the slayings. Jason Baldwin received a life sentence without parole, while Jessie Misskelley received a life-plus-40-year sentence for the killings.

Known by sympathizers as the "West Memphis Three," the men have received support from celebrities and strangers convinced of their innocence. The Arkansas Supreme Court has upheld their convictions, but a later documentary sparked interest across the Internet.

Last October, attorneys for Echols filed a lengthy appeal that claimed there was no DNA evidence linking him to the boys' killings. But Hobbs' name has repeatedly surfaced in the case, with some saying he should have been questioned by police at the time of the slayings. The appeal is pending in state court.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2008 10:38 am
I stayed up rather late last night and did a lot of reading in the Devil's Knot. I am taking my time because I don't want to just gloss over anything. But I have to tell you, I am incensed at the obvious injustice in this case. The more I read the more injustice I find!

Basically, the police got to Jesse Misskelley on the obvious made up testimony of an eight year old child that said he was there when the murders were committed? Shocked

I realize that we will probably never have the complete truth in this case but the glaring incompetence, railroading, etc., is kind of overwhelming.

Another thing that struck me when reading some of the notes in the back of the book is why didn't anyone consider Christopher Byers was being abused on a regular basis? The classic behavioral signs were there! That, along with the fact he is the one that received the most mutilation, raises a big red flag to me. Did it for any of you?

I cannot believe how the police just accepted the ridiculous explanation of Mr. Byers about that knife! I'm not saying he killed the kids but c'mon!

And going back over a month later and finding "two sticks" at the crime scene? And five months later just happening to think to look in the water behind Jason's house and voila finding a knife that is "consistent" with the type of weapon used? Funny how the press knew to be there, wasn't it? Shocked

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! I am no authority on any of this but I dont think it takes much of one to see the problems with this case. I cannot believe these kids are still in jail for this!

I am at the chapter First Trial so maybe some of these things will become clearer. I really hope so because this is really bothering me.
0 Replies