Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 19
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:05 am
You have no thoughts of your own. You copy-and-paste this guff from far-right sources, disguised by tinyurls, but it only makes you sound like an obsessive buffoon. Get a life. Don't they have any girls in your trailer park?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:36 am
If you actually want to know about the story :

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11/27/france.riots/

Quote:
PARIS, France (CNN) -- The Paris suburbs were again rocked by riots after a second night of lawlessness Monday caused widespread destruction and left scores of police injured, according to French authorities and media reports.
An angry mob repeatedly clashed with riot police and torched cars and buildings in the town of Villiers-le-Bel, north of Paris, after two teens on a motorcycle were killed following a collision with a police car Sunday night.
Rioters bombarded police with baseball bats, Molotov cocktail bombs and bottles filled with acid as the violence spread to the nearby towns of Longjumeau and Grigby Monday night.
The 15- and 16-year-old boys, both sons of African immigrants, according to police, died when their motorbike hit a patrol car in Villiers-le-Bel.
Some residents, populated largely by immigrants and their French-born children, accused police of fleeing the crash scene. However, three eyewitnesses, interviewed on TV, said the police stayed and tried to revive the two boys with mouth to mouth resuscitation. Watch why a repeat of past rioting is feared ยป
More than 60 police officers were injured in Monday night's confrontation, with five kept in hospital in a serious condition, according to reports in a number of French newspapers.
A spokesman for the police authorities in the Val d'Oise prefecture refused to confirm the numbers of police injuries, telling CNN that police feared the information could further enflame the already tense situation.
The police spokesman said 60 cars, a library and car dealer's showroom had been set on fire in Villiers-le-Bel. He said a police station had also been damaged and 15 garbage cans torched.
Security was tightened Tuesday, with helicopters deployed to patrol over the town, the spokesman said.
Villiers-le-Bel was not among the districts hit by the weeks of nationwide rioting in November 2005, when disaffected youths nationwide set thousands of cars ablaze to protest against unemployment and discrimination.
Those riots were also sparked by fatalities, namely the deaths of two men of North African descent who were electrocuted while hiding from police in an electrical substation.
French president Nicolas Sarkozy, then serving as the interior minister, provoked controversy at the time by referring to the rioters as "scum."
Sarkozy, currently on a state visit to China, had urged residents Monday to "cool down and let the justice system determine who is responsible for what." A spokesman for the president's office told CNN Tuesday they were continuing to monitor the situation.
The prosecutor's office in the nearby town of Pontoise has already begun an inquiry into the deaths.
Police said the teens drove through a red light without wearing helmets and on an unregistered bike.
But Omar Sehhouli, the brother of one of the victims, told French media the police involved should be arrested. "Everyone knew the two boys here," he told French radio. "What happened, that's not violence, it's rage."
According to the initial findings from the French police watchdog, reported Tuesday in the daily newspaper, Le Figaro, the boy's motorbike was driving "at very high speed" and had failed to give priority to the police patrol vehicle.
The police car was driving normally at around 40 kilometers an hour, the newspaper reported the watchdog had foun

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/world/europe/28riot.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slog

Quote:
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:14 am
contrex wrote:
You have no thoughts of your own. You copy-and-paste this guff from far-right sources, disguised by tinyurls, but it only makes you sound like an obsessive buffoon. Get a life. Don't they have any girls in your trailer park?

Even the girls in trailor parks in America take baths once a day...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:21 am
Quote:

...Some of the fiercest clashes Monday took place near a bakery where one of the dead, a 16-year-old known only as Larami because his identity has not been made public, was an apprentice.

Then again, the kid might have been known "only as Larami" cause nobody knew who his daddy was....

The point of the material I quoted was that whatever gun control France has didn't provide French cops with an iota of protection against the 5'th column army of I-slam being described; all it does is prevent ordinary French citizens like the girl also mentioned in the story from being able to protect themselves. In fact an armed citizenry might have been able to assist the cops.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:34 am
Why don't you put ypur own country in order before spouting nonsense about a country you clearly know very little about?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:15 pm
contrex wrote:
Why don't you put ypur own country in order before spouting nonsense about a country you clearly know very little about?

You telling me I don't know as much about France a YOU do?? I could probably tell you a couple of things about the place you DON'T know...

For instance, ever read any of what the West Point military history series has to say about France??

I mean, the most major thing is that France has ALWAYS had 20 times the agricultural base of any of its immediate neighbors and by all rights should have dominated Europe ever after the fall of the Roman empire in the West. That is, if she'd ever had competent leadership instead of all the stupid intrigue.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:17 pm
May not have phrased that quite perfectly. The claim is that France always had the agricultural basis to support 20 times the population of any of its immediate neighbors.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:53 pm
Then again, if you ever really run low on things to talk about concerning France, there's always the battle of Agincourt...

What I've read about that one is that the French basically charged into a funnel-shaped field and when they got to the narrow part of the funnel, trampled eachother. In other words, even had there not been any English there and the French knights been required only to plant their lances in straw targets, half of them would have still died.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Even the girls in trailor parks in America take baths once a day...

Obviously you know nothing, neither about France nor about America...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
What the hell is a "trailor?" Somebody give Gunga Din a dictionary.

Francis, just go shoot somebody . . . you'll feel better . . . no, no, really, you will!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
contrex wrote:
Why don't you put your own country in order before spouting nonsense about a country you clearly know very little about?

Hasn't stopped you, why should he?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 01:01 pm
And I get the same feeling when I read Senior Storm Leader gunga here as if reading the originals.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:26 pm
Just an observation on the guns used in the Paris riots :

- there's nothing to say if the guns used against police are illegal or legal
- they seem to have been used only against police
- the use of the firearms to be part of a wider riot/civil disorder
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 03:32 pm
so.... let me get this straight, gunga. the french gun control is failing because.... the french charged into funnel shaped field and ultimately didn't do well in agriculture? or what on earth is the connection there? or is that THE only thing you know about france and thus bring it up even though it has nothing to do with anything?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:02 pm
In every cloud there's a silver lining, as the song goes...

This ongoing civil strife in France/Paris suburbs may just get some Americans to enjoy a nice vacation in the U.S., rather than spend American dollars in France.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:21 pm
Foofie wrote:

This ongoing civil strife in France/Paris suburbs may just get some Americans to enjoy a nice vacation in the U.S., rather than spend American dollars in France.

Americans are going to have to go back to France shortly enough, but not as tourists:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59054

Anybody who thinks we're not going to have to go back over there to rescue these idiots a third time isn't paying much attention.

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/ww2-pix/enter.jpg
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:41 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Foofie wrote:

Americans are going to have to go back to France shortly enough, but not as tourists:

Anybody who thinks we're not going to have to go back over there to rescue these idiots a third time isn't paying much attention.

I liked the article. However, what would be nice is if this time the Germans come to save France.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:11 pm
This reminds me of a thread I started after the wave of French riots in 2005. It was called Comparing the French & LA riots: Number of casualties, why?

In the opening post, I wrote:

nimh wrote:
Lifting out this post on one of the Paris riots threads as a separate question, because [..] I don't want to import the US political discussion into a thread about France; but it is a question that made me think, and I still don't really have a conclusive answer.

nimh wrote:
Random fact of the day:

Number of people who died in the 1992 LA riots:

(That's the correction given in this Francosceptic story to the "200 people" cited by French finance minister Thierry Breton, who was urging for "perspective".)

Number of people who died in the France-wide riots so far:

Anyone any suggestions on how to explain the difference?

The nature of the riots? Those involved? Gun control?

Now I realise that last month's riots in in Villiers-le-Bel were notably more violent than those across suburbs in the country in 2005. The Independent described "massed attacks on police [..] on Monday evening when 82 officers were injured, some by pellets from shot-guns and light hunting rifles", and noted that:

Quote:
The evidence of the second night's rioting - more than 80 policemen injured by shotgun and airgun pellets, including four seriously - suggests that the level of urban violence has ratcheted up alarmingly. Few guns were used during the three weeks of nationwide riots in 2005.

On Monday night, the youths [..] attacked the police head on. In 2005, there were thousands of incidents of arson but few direct confrontations.

Nevertheless, with still not a single death on the records in the French riots (far as I know), the contrast with the casualty numbers of the LA riots remains striking. So the question remains current. Feel free to revive the thread...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:18 pm
Foofie wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
Foofie wrote:

I liked the article. However, what would be nice is if this time the Germans come to save France.

You mean while we're occupied rescuing the Swedes and Dutch? Might work....

Meanwhile, my advice to the ordinary indigenous people of Europe is this: arm yourselves, now. When the **** hits the fan, and it will, your effete leftist leaders who have sold you out in your own countries like this are not going to be there with you trying to deal with it, they're going to be, in the famous words of Marcellus Wallis, kicking it in Bimini or some such place.

The nearest and best market for what you need at this point is Russia:

http://www.rusarm.ru.
http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/
http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/
0 Replies