Does online dating work?

sherley

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:48 pm
Hi
I have a question here.My roommates are addicted to dating online recently.They find the ads on google and then join some dating sites like
Edit: Moderator: Link removed etc.They believe that they can practice English and at the same time find their MR right
who can also have a good command of English and even foreign boyfriends via this way. I don't quite know about dating sites which seem to be hot abroad.

You know girls in my dorm get on very well with each other. I'm afraid that they might be cheated or something bad might happen because at
least at present, I take online dating negatively.

Anyone has the same experience? Does online dating really work? (Just ignore their motivation)
Look forward to your reply.
Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
It works so well (for me and for many I know), that I'm currently dating for the last 8 months someone whom I love dearly. Prior to that, I met someone whome I dated for a 1.5 yrs. Furthermore, I met a great friend with whom I still get together regularly for social events. Prior to that I met someone with whom I lived for 5 years. I could go on but I think you get the idea. Oh yes, my young niece met someone whom she married 2 yrs ago and now has a baby.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:03 pm
I know several people who who tried on line dating. It worked out well for some, but not for others.

It's really not something I'd get into, but I know some very happy couples who met on line, Ragman for example :-D
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:24 pm
It's a lot like life....

Pick your forum carefully, and know what you are really looking for....and be careful.... Very Happy

It can work, or be not so good....
0 Replies

sherley

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:42 pm
Thanks! Ragman and Montana Razz
The first two replies are positive ones. :wink:
Actually, I didn't mean that I frown on online dating totally.
But you know as the hot topic "Whether internet is good or bad" in the past few years, online dating is also a controversial issue.
I am a university girl from China and of course my roommates are the same. I think dating sites are more popular in western countries.
And several years ago when QQ (like MSN messenger) prevailed in China,especially among youngsters, many people tended to it for online friendship and even online romance. Then, we read a lot of articles which show negative viewpoints toward online dating since a lot of persons (more girls) were cheated. Seems that no articles said yes to it.
Before I posted this thread here, I also chattend with my roommates. The dating sites I mentioned are more professional and safer,I admit.
So, maybe I have to say "Good luck" to my roommates instead of saying "Be careful".
But all in all, I'm looking forward to more thoughts here. Positive reply or negative reply are both OK.
This is a wonderful place for us to share thoughts,isn't it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:47 pm
They're a lot better for attractive women. There's probably 3-4 times as many men with accounts, and women can get hundreds of emails within just a day or two.

I've done it, and I'm better at just meeting people in public. I don't have model looks, and my personality comes out much stronger in person vs. some cheesy online profile.

So what's up, baby?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:49 pm
Slappy, your'e not posting your avatar on them sites, are ya? Rolling Eyes

RH
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:57 pm
Sherley,
Welcome to A2K, by the way :-D

I know exactly what you're saying. In fact, I have a friend who's husband passed away and she decided to try a few on line dating sites. She started talking with one man who eventually tried to con her into sending him some money, so I share your reluctance where on line dating is concerned.
As many good people there are in the world, I believe there are at least just as many bad people, so this is one reason why I wouldn't take the chance.

Don't mind Slappy. He's one of A2K's comedians Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
Rockhead wrote:
Slappy, your'e not posting your avatar on them sites, are ya? Rolling Eyes

RH

Thanks for your concern, but no, I'm not on any dating sites.

If & when I do sign up for another one, I'll consult you for picture choices.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
Montana, dear, there are WAY more bad people.... Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:05 pm
I know! Believe me, I know Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

sherley

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:37 pm
Interesting!
I mean, Rockhead, not only your image but also your words. Very Happy Laughing :wink:
Then why did you say that there are more bad people? How to judge?
Seems off-topic. ^_^
But I think you can give some interesting words, too!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:51 pm
Sweetie, the net is blind. All sorts of bad things develop in the dark. Shocked

Just make sure you know who and what you are dealing with... Cool

RH
0 Replies

sherley

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:55 pm
Yes, the net is blind.
But "Love isn't blind......it's Retarded.~"
Laughing Very Happy Surprised :wink: Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm
I'll argue part of the upside of the net. Not so much dating sites, but places like A2K.

We can learn about the inside of someone's head and heart here - by the time we meet them, we KNOW them - better than we know someone we could have met in a bar or club and yakked with over an adult beverage or several.

Debating/discussing/playing word games - you can learn a lot about a person.

For example, after 7 years I still like Slappy. He's marvellously sensible when it comes to the crunch - but he's beyond irreverent and rude when it doesn't matter. I like that about him. I'd probably think he was mmm not so appealing if I met him in a club (and if I weren't a couple of decades into Cougarville).

~~~

Dating sites, pretty much Nyet.
Discussion fora, maybe.

(definitely worked for me :wink: )
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:01 pm
sherley wrote:
Yes, the net is blind.
But "Love isn't blind......it's Retarded.~"
Laughing Very Happy Surprised :wink: Twisted Evil

I'm hearin that Laughing
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:03 pm
I'm not diss'n A2K, just for profit meat markets... Crying or Very sad

RH
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 12:44 am
Now that I think about it, I never did date. I just met men where ever and if we hit it off, we'd go from there.
0 Replies

aeroz

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:00 pm
My bf found me online, and starting chatting with me one day out of the blue. We've been together now for 1.5 years.
0 Replies

johnrogers

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 10:12 am
Ask my wife, we dated online and long distance. We have been happily married for over 7 years.
0 Replies