Iran Nuke Program? Not so much

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:53 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Actually, I am only using that line so that the next time you or anyone else on the left posts something and claims they dont agree with it I can remind them that they have to agree with it, since they posted it.
After all, thats the rule you decided on, so lets hold everyone to it, including you.

And it's one I agree with. I don't think that posting every article means you agree with everything said in the article - for example, we could be having a conversation about lynchings, and I could post an article written about the history of the KKK, which included racist statements; and that wouldn't necessarily make me a racist.

Normally, however, articles which are pushing some sort of opinion - a position piece - is usually posted in order to support one's side of the argument. It's a BS move to post something and then distance yourself from it, saying 'I just thought it was interesting,' in the middle of arguments revolving around opinion and position.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:06 pm
Hey Cyclo, did you see the White House Press Conference today? The Shrub still considers Ah-mah-jah-mah-deen-a-dad and them Eye-ranians a serious threat to world peace, even if they don't got no nu-cular program.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
Setanta wrote:
Hey Cyclo, did you see the White House Press Conference today? The Shrub still considers Ah-mah-jah-mah-deen-a-dad and them Eye-ranians a serious threat to world peace, even if they don't got no nu-cular program.

They still have the capability to make a nuclear weapon, thats what makes them so dangerous according to Bush.
And, the NIE also said that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:09 pm
Setanta wrote:

I caught the highlights. I try and avoid direct exposure to raduhation.

Per Harper's -

Quote:
But one highly reliable intelligence community source I consulted immediately after Hadley spoke answered my question this way: "This is absolutely absurd. The NIE has been in substantially the form in which it was finally submitted for more than six months. The White House, and particularly Vice President Cheney, used every trick in the book to stop it from being finalized and issued. There was no last minute breakthrough that caused the issuance of the assessment." So what, I asked, if not an intelligence breakthrough, what caused the last-minute change and the sudden issuance of the summary of the NIE? My source had no idea.

That anyone could swallow the 'I didn't know!' bullshit, even for a second, is incredibly depressing. Our news media... man, I don't know what they are, but they ain't liberal.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:12 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Setanta wrote:

They still have the capability to make a nuclear weapon, thats what makes them so dangerous according to Bush.

Actually, jeez, it didn't say that they have the capability to do so. The opposite in fact. They 'halted their program in 2003.' That means they don't have the capability.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:17 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Actually, jeez, it didn't say that they have the capability to do so. The opposite in fact. They 'halted their program in 2003.' That means they don't have the capability.

Cycloptichorn

According to what I heard on NPR today, they still have the centrifuges and other equipment needed to make weapons grade material.
The fact that they arent doing so right now is a good sign.

Wasnt it in 2003 when Libya decided to turn their nuke material and equipment over to the Brits?
Is it a coincidence that Iran stopped their program at roughly the same time?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:25 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Cycloptichorn

According to what I heard on NPR today, they still have the centrifuges and other equipment needed to make weapons grade material.
The fact that they arent doing so right now is a good sign.

You heard wrong. While they do have some centrifuges, they don't have what is necessary for bomb-making. They might in the future have the capability to produce a bomb, but right now, they certainly don't.

Quote:
Wasnt it in 2003 when Libya decided to turn their nuke material and equipment over to the Brits?
Is it a coincidence that Iran stopped their program at roughly the same time?

There's as much evidence that Libya was making zero progress (for a lot of money spent) as there is the concept that we somehow scared them into stopping the nuke program by invading Iraq.

'cause that's where you're going with this, right?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:27 pm
Quote:
There's as much evidence that Libya was making zero progress (for a lot of money spent) as there is the concept that we somehow scared them into stopping the nuke program by invading Iraq.

No,thats not where I was going.
I just dont believe in coincidences, thats all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:39 pm
That is what i would call a flagrant example of attempting to have one's cake and to eat it, too.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:44 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:

No,thats not where I was going.
I just dont believe in coincidences, thats all.

In 2003, North Korea announced that it would withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. Later that year, North Korea declared that it had nuclear weapons and might test, export or use them depending on US actions.
0 Replies