Iran Nuke Program? Not so much

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:01 pm
According to the new NIE, that is:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/world/middleeast/03cnd-iran.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Quote:
A new assessment by American intelligence agencies concludes that Iran halted its nuclear weapons program in 2003 and that the program remains on hold, contradicting an assessment two years ago that Tehran was working inexorably toward building a bomb.

The conclusions of the new assessment are likely to be explosive in the middle of tense international negotiations aimed at getting Iran to halt its nuclear energy program, and in the middle of a presidential campaign during which a possible military strike against Iran's nuclear program has been discussed.

The assessment, a National Intelligence Estimate that represents the consensus view of all 16 American spy agencies, states that Tehran's ultimate intentions about gaining a nuclear weapon remain unclear, but that Iran's "decisions are guided by a cost-benefit approach rather than a rush to a weapon irrespective of the political, economic and military costs."

Shorter CIA - 'Suck it, Dick Cheney'

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 993 • Replies: 29
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:10 pm
Just to be clear, we are agreeing that the NIE is basically the result of gathering and reporting as much intelligence from many separate departments and agencies and that it should be treated with as an honest portrayal of the findings, correct?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:26 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Just to be clear, we are agreeing that the NIE is basically the result of gathering and reporting as much intelligence from many separate departments and agencies and that it should be treated with as an honest portrayal of the findings, correct?

Uh, I guess so?

Quote:
The assessment, a National Intelligence Estimate that represents the consensus view of all 16 American spy agencies

Seems like it, according to the article, and my past knowledge of NIEs...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:48 pm
Ok. I just wanted to be sure that we agreed in the viability of NIE's.

So, do you also agree that we should base our actions on the NIE? ( I do.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

We base our actions upon a wedding of logic and information. The NIE provides us with the information part - and is rather fallible, see the NIE's leading up the the Iraq war. The Logic part is as important when it comes to determining the correct course of action for our society.

Can't you be a little bit less pathetically transparent, McG? It would be more interesting.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

We base our actions upon a wedding of logic and information. The NIE provides us with the information part - and is rather fallible, see the NIE's leading up the the Iraq war. The Logic part is as important when it comes to determining the correct course of action for our society.

Can't you be a little bit less pathetically transparent, McG? It would be more interesting.

Cycloptichorn

Has the NIE or any other agency determined if Iran poses a clear and present danger to the security of the USA?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:02 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

Cycloptichorn

Has the NIE or any other agency determined if Iran poses a clear and present danger to the security of the USA?

I nearly think that they have determined that Iran is not a clear and present danger to the US.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:11 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

Cycloptichorn

Ok, I see. You agree with the NIE only so far as it agrees with your particular world view. Noted.

So, how do you justify that? Only trusting an NIE that coincides with your views? Do you have a crystal ball that tells you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:19 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

Cycloptichorn

Ok, I see. You agree with the NIE only so far as it agrees with your particular world view. Noted.

So, how do you justify that? Only trusting an NIE that coincides with your views? Do you have a crystal ball that tells you?

Aw, jeez.

Do you guys ever have anything better then 'gotchas?' It doesn't seem so. It's more important to try rhetorical tricks then it is to build an actual case for what you believe in.

Per your above statement, you now think that we, err, I mean, Cheney, should back off his Iran nuke warmongering - and that, in fact, he has been wrong at best/lying at worst about it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Um, most certainly not!

Cycloptichorn

Aw, jeez.

Do you guys ever have anything better then 'gotchas?' It doesn't seem so. It's more important to try rhetorical tricks then it is to build an actual case for what you believe in.

Per your above statement, you now think that we, err, I mean, Cheney, should back off his Iran nuke warmongering - and that, in fact, he has been wrong at best/lying at worst about it?

Cycloptichorn

I think the NIE has merit and should be recognized as such. If Cheney, or anyone else has information that has not been included into the NIE, then it should be included and evaluated. Unlike you, I look at the NIE as a reliable conclusion to current Intelligence. Whether I agree with it or not.

Unfortunately, people like you will only take the partisan path and wave this in the air as a "gotcha" of your own.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:35 pm
Quote:
If Cheney, or anyone else has information that has not been included into the NIE, then it should be included and evaluated.

So, where did Cheney get this 'information' that our intelligence agencies don't have?

Does he have his own intelligence agencies, secret from all the rest?

Or did it come from... nowhere? IE, he's lying?

My guess is the third one. Previous evidence has shown this to be a frequent source for Bush admin. intelligence.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:51 pm
Well my heart bleeds for all you war mongers who wanted to zap Iran. Because now you wont be able to. Must be so frustrating. Smile

Just as i've been pointing out for a long time now, there is no military solution to the problem of Iran. As Churchill said jaw jaw is better than war war.

Finally Bush seems to understand...

(I did say "seems")
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 06:55 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Well my heart bleeds for all you war mongers who wanted to zap Iran. Because now you wont be able to. Must be so frustrating. Smile

Just as i've been pointing out for a long time now, there is no military solution to the problem of Iran. As Churchill said jaw jaw is better than war war.

(I did say "seems")

Iran is more of a European problem than an American problem.

You deal with them. They and their supposed weaponry are no risk the the security of the US.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 07:37 am
We are dealing with them. We are doing some huge trade deals. And will be buying Iranian oil in euros not dollars pretty soon.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 08:07 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
We are dealing with them. We are doing some huge trade deals. And will be buying Iranian oil in euros not dollars pretty soon.

BULLY FOR YOU!!!

We do NOT import Iranian oil. Maybe if you did not import oil, they would not be so bold in their rhetoric.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:17 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

(I did say "seems")

I have never seen any source that attributes that statement to Churchill.
Do you have a source?

Also, Churchill didnt hesitate to go to war in Europe when it was neccessary.

He knew that there are times when military force is the ONLY option.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:24 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

(I did say "seems")

Do you have a source?

We aren't anywhere near that point, and you know it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:29 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

(I did say "seems")

Do you have a source?

Cycloptichorn

I wasnt trying to interfere in your argument.
I have seen several people on here attribute that statement to Churchill, and I was curious if anyone had a source for it, thats all.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

(I did say "seems")

Do you have a source?

Cycloptichorn

I wasnt trying to interfere in your argument.
I have seen several people on here attribute that statement to Churchill, and I was curious if anyone had a source for it, thats all.

Cool. Great sig line btw, and I still stand by that!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 05:43 pm
Actually, I am only using that line so that the next time you or anyone else on the left posts something and claims they dont agree with it I can remind them that they have to agree with it, since they posted it.
After all, thats the rule you decided on, so lets hold everyone to it, including you.
0 Replies