BLOODY KANSAS

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:05 am
Today is the 140th anniversary of the raid on Lawrence, Kansas by Bill Quantrill. Feelings still run high in the border area of Kansas and Missouri--people in Missouri still express resentment at the treatment of their ancestors by "Kansas Jayhawks" during the Federal occupation--Kansans still complain of the murderous Missourians (Frank James rode with Quantrill, i don't recall if Jesse did so, and i believe Cole Younger rode with Quantrill also).

I don't have time for one of my usual, long, tedious disquisitions, but i've got a link for y'all:

Lawrence, Kansas, August 21, 1863[/color]

(Please ignore the advertising, and wait for the page to load.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,531 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:18 am
Well, fan me with a blow torch! All these years, I thought it was Bloody Bill Anderson.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:20 am
were they a bit like the OKlahoma Sooners of the 18?? , the land grabbers ?

not the OU sports teams of today who are called the Sooners
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:23 am
No, OAK, the "Sooners" were called that because, when the Indian Territory was opened up to white folks (1898?), they were waiting at the state line, with their wagons loaded. Anyone who could erect a qualified structure and register a claim had title to so many acres under the Homestead act. Naturally, many people claimed the same tract of land, but the first person to register the claim became the owner: "Cuz i got there sooner'n you did."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:26 am
Quantrill, Anderson, and similar gangs after our Civil War were basically bandits, OAK. If they gave the impression of fighting for the lost cause of the Confederacy, it was just that - an impression.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:37 am
thanks fellahs, Hollywood myths being shot full of holes then.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
And, you are like, surprised?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:52 am
BTW, Roger, wasn't Bloody Bill a lieutenant of Quantrill's? I believe that Frank James and the Younger brothers originally rode with Bill, did they not?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
Roger, surprised ? Moi ? He who who has seen more cowboys bite the dust than thrushes crack open snails shells. Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, not really.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:40 am
I'm out of my depth on that question, Setanta, and admit it. You're the historian around here and I will take your word for the facts, if not always your conclusions.

I'm always assumed that the gangs of that time had some sort of acquaintence with each other, but not sure of any formal relationships.
0 Replies