Who supports the troops?

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:58 am
This kind of stuff just blows my mind.

Military personel go into service with low pay to begin with. And now the Bush crew is considering cutting military benefits to those serving in Afghanistan and Iraq link. And then there's the story about the Sargent who recovered from a coma and returned to the US only to be jerked around by the military link. I dunno how much the veterans' affairs should do for veterans, but I'm pretty sure they should handle Sargent Turner's nerve damage promptly. And, I think they should help her find housing. And I believe they should even send her stuff to her so she doesn't have to fly to Germany herself.

9% of the US population are veterans and those veterans make up 23% of our homeless population. What gives?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 945 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:57 am
Kipling had a poem about this, as regarded English veterans, but it can apply here as well:

And it's Tommy this
And Tommy that
And "Tommy, go away."
But it's "Thin Red line of Heroes,"
When the bands begin to play.

Basically stated: "We're done with ya now, boy (or girl), just run along and don't bother us with your personal problems."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 08:58 am
I think it's miserable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:25 am
It's also all too common in our history . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:13 pm
This nation has a debt to pay to all those who served. However, our president[pardon the expression] neither understands or cares. His only concern is to take care of his rich and powerful friends. May he burn in hell.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:18 pm
That does suck - just as my nephew is getting ready to ship to Iraq for 12 months.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:37 pm
An outrage, especially as Sgt. Turner's problems seem 100% service connected, not to say service caused, in regard to shipments from duty station in Germany.

Some years ago, I had a shoulder replacement at VA hospital, and it wasn't even service connected. Different and disappointing rules today.

Yeah, "Tommy" was a tearjerker, Setanta. So was his "Last of the Light Brigade"
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:09 pm
Folks, the article is a week old. They reversed their stance a day later. Back in the Clinton days, the press called this kind of maneuvering "trial balloons". Now, it's called "an outrage".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
roger wrote:
Some years ago, I had a shoulder replacement at VA hospital, and it wasn't even service connected. Different and disappointing rules today.

I think this is more of a function of general ineptitude within the VA than anything else. If you ask 10 different people at the VA the same exact question you are likely to get 10 totally differnet answers. Sadly, service at most VA facilities depends on how the people working there feel on any given day.

Unlike most of the rest of the country, here in MA, every single town is required (by state law) to have a full time Veteran's rep on the town's payroll. The problems Sgt. Turner ran into are exactly the sort of thing they are supposed to deal with and work to resolve.
0 Replies