Another Bush Lackey says the surge is working

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:36 pm
Does the left believe him??

Wait a sec...
Its John Murtha saying it..

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/1107/Murthas_comments_on_surge_may_be_a_big_problem_for_House_Democrats.html

Quote:
Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.), one of the leading anti-war voices in the House Democratic Caucus, is back from a trip to Iraq and he now says the "surge is working." This could be a huge problem for Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and other Democratic leaders, who are blocking approval of the full $200 billion being sought by President Bush for combat operations in Iraq in 2008.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 976 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:49 pm
the military part is working... the political part a dismal failure. Everyone seems to agree on this except for frick and frack the war criminals.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:49 pm
MM I really hate to say this but really one should post an entire sentence when quoting someone. Not to imply that you or any of your blogites would quote anyone out of context. right?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:52 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the military part is working... the political part a dismal failure. Everyone seems to agree on this except for frick and frack the war criminals.

I agree, the political part is a dismal failure, by our standards.
However, having spent some time in the ME while I was in the service, I noticed that things move at a different pace and have a different "flavor" politically.

I am no expert, but maybe the fact that things are moving so slowly in Iraq politically is normal.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 10:38 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am no expert...

Agree with you there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:57 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am no expert...

Agree with you there.
An excellent example of how truncating a statement can destroy its intended meaning. Common enough in the world of dem and rep beltway politics but it remains sleezy and dishonest no matter who does it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:13 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am no expert...

Agree with you there.
An excellent example of how truncating a statement can destroy its intended meaning. Common enough in the world of dem and rep beltway politics but it remains sleezy and dishonest no matter who does it.

Roxxanne is real good at misquoting peoples statements.
Most of us just ignore it.
Everyone that reads my statement knows what I meant.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:17 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am no expert...

Agree with you there.

just what was expected once the name of the poster was seen.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:20 pm
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I am no expert...

Agree with you there.

Roxxanne is real good at misquoting peoples statements.
Most of us just ignore it.
Everyone that reads my statement knows what I meant.
Yes, pure-as-snow MM, you let politcio.com truncate for you and simply posted as your read it. You're of course, just an innocent bystander.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:37 pm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:47 pm
Quote:
On Friday, Murtha issued a statement saying he still does not think the war can be won militarily.

``The military surge has created a window of opportunity for the Iraqi government,'' Murtha said Friday. ``Unfortunately, the sacrifice of our troops has not been met by the Iraqi government and they have failed to capitalize on the political and diplomatic steps that the surge was designed to provide.''

Source: AP
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 01:51 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
On Friday, Murtha issued a statement saying he still does not think the war can be won militarily.

``The military surge has created a window of opportunity for the Iraqi government,'' Murtha said Friday. ``Unfortunately, the sacrifice of our troops has not been met by the Iraqi government and they have failed to capitalize on the political and diplomatic steps that the surge was designed to provide.''

Ah interesting, a complete sentence. I'm thinking MM prefers the truncated variety found on conservative blogs. So it goes.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:

Ah interesting, a complete sentence. I'm thinking MM prefers the truncated variety found on conservative blogs. So it goes.

And from CNN we get this...

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/11/30/murtha-clarifies-surge-remarks/?fark

Quote:
November 30, 2007
Murtha clarifies surge remarks
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Following a headline-grabbing uproar, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, moved swiftly Friday to clarify earlier remarks that seemed to suggest the Iraq surge policy was working.

The surge, he said in a statement, "has created a window of opportunity for the Iraqi government,'' but so far the Iraqi government has "failed to capitalize on the political and diplomatic steps that the surge was designed to provide."

"The fact remains that the war in Iraq cannot be won militarily, and that we must begin an orderly redeployment of U.S. forces from Iraq as soon as practicable," said the chair of the House Appropriations Committee's Defense Subcommittee.

Murtha, who recently returned from a trip to Iraq, told reporters Thursday that the "surge is working." The statement stunned his colleagues - Democratic leadership, led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, is currently blocking approval of full funding requested by the Bush administration for combat operations in Iraq next year without a timetable for U.S. troop withdrawal.

Murtha's comments seemed to represent a dramatic shift from his views earlier this year, when he said the surge was not working, and warned of looming disaster for U.S. military forces in Iraq. He told CNN's Wolf Blitzer earlier this summer that the president's views on the success of the surge in Iraq were "delusional."

"Nothing's gotten better. Incidents have increased," he told Blitzer. "We have had more Americans killed in the last four months than any other period during the war."

- CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

So,He DID say the surge was working, and he said the Iraq govt hasnt capitalized on it.

So,Where was I wrong with what I said?
Murtha DID say the surge was working.

AS for the AP piece that Walter linked to,lets not forget this line from Murtha...

Quote:
After making a trip to Iraq last week, Murtha, D-Pa., told reporters Thursday, ``I think the surge is working.'' But he said that was just one element and the United States was still failing diplomatically in the country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-7119044,00.html

So again, he DID say the surge was working, and that is what I originally posted.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:05 pm
If- only if- he had said that he should regret, repent for his views.
This is the expectation of rational voters in USA.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:07 pm
Yes of course you did MM, as I stated earlier, you are pure-as-driven snow. Still sleezy and dishonest but pure. how are your bloggers handling this?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Yes of course you did MM, as I stated earlier, you are pure-as-driven snow. Still sleezy and dishonest but pure. how are your bloggers handling this?

Sorry to dissapoint you, but I have no bloggers.
If you dont like the fact that Murtha said what he did, thats not my problem.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
Mysteryman
Kindly enlighten me with your views.
The first quote you had tacidly ignored.
this is the secon quote.

"For four years, the Americans have been pushing for a security breakthrough in Iraq. The White House has been desperate for a "success story" to sell on Iraq to the American public. Chances seemed slim earlier this summer as an increasing number of Iraqi politicians walked out on Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. By October, his government had lost legitimacy, since it no longer included Sunnis from the Iraqi Accordance Front or Shi'ites from the Sadrist bloc.

The Americans held on to Maliki, fearing a vacuum if he left. So desperate was the US administration that it began funding and arming Sunni tribesmen in Iraq to combat al-Qaeda. This caused uproar in the Iraqi street, particularly among Iraqi Shi'ites, who claimed that the Sunnis would train their guns on both the Americans and the Shi'ites the minute they were finished fighting al-Qaeda."
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/IL01Ak01.html
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:22 pm
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. as you said "I'm no expert."
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:28 pm
dyslexia wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

when you find yourself in a hole, quit digging. as you said "I'm no expert."

Thats true, I did say that.
And I am quite willing to admit that I am no expert.

But you seem to be, at least you like to think you are.

You seem to object to the fact that I didnt post the entire article.
Thats why I posted the link.
I NEVER post the entire article, because unlike some people on here I trust that the rest of you can read.

Here are two simple yes or no questions for you...
Are you saying that I deliberately lied about what Murtha said, or are you saying he didnt actually say it?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 02:33 pm
i'm saying you deliberately misled what Murtha said.
0 Replies