Tricky One

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:12 pm
Hi All

I'm new here and wanted to say hi and share an issue with you that I'm currently facing.

I believe that my husband is a very handsome man, but lately I have noticed that he has put on a fair bit of weight around his middle.

Don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that I might be perfect (I know I am not), but I see the difference as being that I do put in an effort to exercise and look good for him.

I have casually mentioned that we should go exercising together more often, but he doesn't seem to have much motivation, even though he verbally agrees at the time, and says he is not happy with his shape.

I feel really guilty about this, but it's starting to affect my attraction to him (he is quite slim and the weight around his middle seems to make him look almost womanly), and my sex drive has taken a bit of a tumble.

I know I sound awful - but I do want to stress that I still love him, and always will no matter what his size. On an intellectual level, I know it shouldn't matter, but on a basic level I really can't help feeling this way.

Have any of you guys been in similar situations or have advice for me?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 604 • Replies: 9
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 03:03 am
I know it doesn't say "for fatter, for thinner" in the marriage vows, but maybe it ought to? Exercise is only one part of the deal; eating less is the other. Less quantity and less fatty foods. What age is he?
0 Replies

kitkat bar

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 03:32 am
First of all, Welcome!

The lack of motivation is understandable. Not many people just get up one day and say, "Hey, I think I'm going to work out today!" I would try a scheduled time for the both of you to go work out whether it be running or signing up for a gym. It seems to be harder for women to get men to work out than the other way around because men tend not to worry themselves with self-image. Most guys will not give up their unhealthy way of eating as well (this doesn't go for just men). If you can get him to agree to a scheduled time, chances are that he will start feeling better about himself and eating right.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
Quikdraw--

Welcome to A2K.

If spouses--or parents--could decree and achieve positive changes in the people they love the world would be a very different place.

Increasing excess weight often comes with a sedentary lifestyle--possibly without any increase in caloric intake. Is your husband chained to a desk most of the day? Could he be depressed?

"Let's exercise more together." is easy to agree to, but doesn't commit the agreeing party to positive action. Did the two of you have any active hobbies when you met? What does your husband do these days to relax and unwind? Does he have any medical conditions?

Sorry this response is a bit disorganized, but your "simple" question has a lot of implications.
0 Replies

quikdraw

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:47 pm
Thanks for all your responses, it's great to know you want to help.

In answer to your questions: my husband is 25 (I am 26). When he was younger, he used to work out a fair bit and to be honest, I am not sure why he stopped.

His job requires a fair bit of heavy lifting - so it's not a desk job, but I suppose it's not a total cardio work out.

He gets up really, really early - sometimes at 4am. So by the time he comes home, even though it's still daylight, he's very tired and falls asleep in front of the TV.

I do like the idea of a routine timeframe, as I've noticed he's more likely to stick to it than just a random "let's go for a walk".

His diet is pretty much the same as mine when we're at home - which is quite good. However, I think it may be a different story at work - a lot of bakery food.

Anymore thoughts? Thanks everyone.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:40 am
He is 25. You are 26. Get over yourself!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 06:43 am
my husband did this too.

Instead of approaching 'exersize' AS exercise, I started finding active things to do.
Like going to state parks , and hiking to find the water falls, or going horse back riding, or even going to the mall.

He.. pretty much refused anything when I made it sound like it was meant for him, and that I was trying to get him to exercise.... but when I just started going and doing things, he came along.

I kind of dropped the work out talk, and just found things that made us both walk, or hike, or what ever..

It took a bit of hunting on my part as there isnt really alot of easy to find things to do that sound fun, and involve movement in our society any more it seems Laughing

But, things you would never consider FUN, are a blast.. like Kayaking, Walking along the river or beach. If you know of some where in town where they are digging up a large amount of dirt, or making a deep slice in a small hill for a road?? Go out there and sift through the dirt looking for fossils.
It doesnt have to be a cardio type movement... just any movement, for a long time , is good. Even mindlessly walking in a mall is good for you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:43 am
Quikdraw--

Does his job require getting up at 4 in the morning? What is his weekend routine?
0 Replies

SULLYFISH66

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:34 am
Wait a minute . . .

A significant weight gain "around the middle" for a previously trim man his age can signify a health problem. (liver, stomach, heart)

Suggest a complete physical. If that turns out OK, consider an exam from the neck up. He may be in a depression.

(Now if he were age 60, I'd say this was appropriate behavior - but NOT at 25!!)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:47 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
my husband did this too.

Instead of approaching 'exersize' AS exercise, I started finding active things to do.
Like going to state parks , and hiking to find the water falls, or going horse back riding, or even going to the mall.

He.. pretty much refused anything when I made it sound like it was meant for him, and that I was trying to get him to exercise.... but when I just started going and doing things, he came along.

I kind of dropped the work out talk, and just found things that made us both walk, or hike, or what ever..

It took a bit of hunting on my part as there isnt really alot of easy to find things to do that sound fun, and involve movement in our society any more it seems Laughing

But, things you would never consider FUN, are a blast.. like Kayaking, Walking along the river or beach. If you know of some where in town where they are digging up a large amount of dirt, or making a deep slice in a small hill for a road?? Go out there and sift through the dirt looking for fossils.
It doesnt have to be a cardio type movement... just any movement, for a long time , is good. Even mindlessly walking in a mall is good for you.

You know how to work the man! You make me proud :-D

I'm with shewolf.
0 Replies