Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,836 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:08 am
Re: Trolley buses and tramcars
fansy wrote:

And where are tramcars used?

Melbourne Australia

commonly refered to as trams. Melbourne has a very extensive network of tram routes powered by electricity.

W class tram an older style of tram
http://www.terminalia.org/tour/post/1p-7.jpg

C class a newer style of tram
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7d/300px-Ac.newtram1.jpg.JPG

A restaurant tram also plys many scenic routes
http://static.flickr.com/46/138230216_6323a82e11.jpg

Some countries purchase trams manufactured in Melbourne

Karachi
http://www.itravelnet.com/photos/oc/australia/vic/melbourne/w-11-karachi-tram.jpg
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:05 am
Re: Trolley buses and tramcars
fansy wrote:
Where are trolley buses used?
And where are tramcars used?

Trolleybus is one word. They are powered by electricity but have rubber tyres and run on the road just like buses powered by diesel or gasoline.

Tramcars run on rails.

Note: a "trolley car" is what Americans call a "tramcar" or "tram".

There are trolleybuses in a number of places around the world.

(!) = under threat of closure

[Town name] = not operational at present

BELARUS Babruysk, Brest, Gomel, Hrodna, Mahilev, Minsk, Vitebsk

BELGIUM Gent

ESTONIA Tallinn

FRANCE Limoges, Lyon, Nancy, St Etienne

LATVIA Riga

LITHUANIA Kaunas, Vilnius

NETHERLANDS Arnhem

NORWAY Bergen

PORTUGAL Coimbra

SWEDEN Landskrona

AUSTRIA Linz, Salzburg

CZECH REPUBLIC Brno, České Budějovice, Chomutov-Jirkov, Hradec Králové, Jihlava, Mariánské Lázně, Opava, Ostrava, Pardubice, Plzeň, Teplice, Ústi nad Labem, Zlín-Otrokovice

GERMANY Eberswalde, Esslingen, Solingen

HUNGARY Budapest, Debrecen, Szeged

ITALY Ancona, [Bari], Bologna, Cagliari, [Chieti], Genova, [La Spezia], [Lecce], Milano, Modena, Napoli (ANM), Napoli (CTP), Parma, [Pescara], Rimini, Roma, San Remo

POLAND Gdynia, Lublin, Tychy

SLOVAKIA [Banská Bystrica], Bratislava, Košice, Prešov, Zilina

SWITZERLAND Basel (!), Bern, Biel, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Fribourg, Genève, Lausanne, Luzern, Neuchâtel, St Gallen, Schaffhausen (!), Vevey-Montreux, Winterthur, Zürich

BOSNIA Sarajevo

BULGARIA Burgas, Dobrich, Gabrovo, Khaskovo, Pazardzhik, Pernik, Pleven, Plovdiv, Ruse, Sliven, Sofia, Stara Zagora, Varna, Veliko Turnovo, Vratsa

GREECE Athinai

MOLDOVA Bălţi, Bendery, Chisinău, Tiraspol

ROMANIA Baia Mare, Braşov, Bucuresti, Cluj-Napoca, Constanţa, [Craiova], Galaţi (!), Mediaş, Piatra Neamţ, Ploieşti, Satu Mare, Sibiu (!), Târgovişte (!), Târgu Jiu, Timişoara, Vaslui

SERBIA Beograd

UKRAINE Alchevsk, Antratcit, Artyemovsk, Bila Tserkva, Cherkassy, Chernigiv, Chernivtsi, Dnipropetrovsk, Dobropolye, Donetsk, Dzerzhinsk, Horlivka, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kerch, Kharkiv, Khartsyzsk (!), Kherson, Khmelnitskiy, Kirovograd, Kiyiv, Kramatorsk, Krasnodon, Kremenchug, Kryvyy Rih, Lisichansk, Lugansk, Lutsk, Lviv, Makiyivka, Mariupol, Mikolayiv, Odesa, Poltava, Rivne, Sevastopol, Severodonetsk, Simferopol-Yalta, Slavyansk, Stakhanov, Sumy, Ternopil, Vinnitsya, Vuglegirsk (!), Zaporizhzhya, Zhitomir

ARMEMIA Yerevan

AZERBAIJAN Baku (!), Gyandzha (!), [Mingechaur]

GEORGIA Chiatura-Sachkere, Gori, Kutaisi, Ozurgeti, Rustavi, Sukhumi, [Tskhinval], Zugdidi

KAZAKHSTAN Almaty, Aqtöbe, Astana, Petropavlovsk, Qaraghandy, [Qostanay], [Shymkent], Taraz

KYRGYZSTAN Bishkek, Naryn (!), Osh

TADZHIKISTAN Dushanbe, Khodzhent

TURKMENISTAN Ashgabat

UZBEKISTAN Almalyk, [Andijon], [Bukhoro], Jizzax, Namangan, Nukus, Toshkent, Urgench

CHINA Beijing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Handan Fengfeng, Hangzhou (!), Harbin (!), Jinan, Ji'xi Hengshan, Lanzhou, Luoyang, Nanchang (!), Nanning, Qingdao, Qiqihar, Shanghai, Tai'an Yangzhuang, Taiyuan, Taiyuan Xi'shan, Wuhan, Wuhan (Iron & Steel Co.), Wuyang, Xian, Xingtai Xintai, Xinmi Chaohua, Zhengzhou

IRAN Tehran

JAPAN Daikando-Murodo, Kurobe Dam

MONGOLIA Ulan Bator

NEPAL Kathmandu (!)

NEW ZEALAND Wellington

NORTH KOREA Anju?, Chongjin, Haeju, Hamhung, Huichon?, Hyesan?, Kaesong?, Kanggye, Kapsan, Kimchaek, Kowon, Kusong?, Manpho?, Markyn-Kimkoi, Nampho, Onsong, Phyonsong, Pyongyang, Rajin?, Ryongdae, Ryongdung, Sangwon, Sariwon?, Sinuiju, Songrim?, Sunchon, Tokchon, Umhung, Unggi?, Wonsan

ARGENTINA Córdoba, Mendoza, Rosario

BRAZIL Santos, São Paulo (EMTU), São Paulo (SPT)

CANADA Edmonton, Vancouver

CHILE Valparaíso

ECUADOR Quito

MEXICO Ciudad de México, Guadalajara

USA Boston, Dayton, [Philadelphia], San Francisco, Seattle

VENEZUELA [Barquisimeto], [Mérida]

Trams

Germany, France, Italy, Finland, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Sweden and Belgium, has an extensive number of tramway networks. Some of these networks have been upgraded to light rail standards, called Stadtbahn in Germany and Premetros in Belgium.

United Kingdom: Blackpool, Sheffield, Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham, Croydon.

All the former communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe, excluding Lithuania, the Republic of Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova and Slovenia, have extensive tram infrastructure.

A small number of US and Canadian cities still have tram systems.

The Buenos Aires (Argentina) tramway system is one of the most extensive in the world.

There are systems in Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:18 am
Since I've lived there a couple of years and since the Missus is from there ...

Solingen trolley busses
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:24 am
And one small addition: Paris tramway
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 12:16 pm
toronto , canada , still has an extensive streetcar system .
they even have an old streetcar , named THE RED ROCKET , that is used for guided city-tours .

http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/images/pcc.jpg

STOMPIN' TOM , canada's troubador , even has a song to the glory of the red rocket driver : THE TTC SKIDADDLER (TTC = toronto transit commission)

Quote:
I'm a TTC Skidaddler yeah to sockit to my big red rattler-
Ya to sockit to my big red rattler
I've been a streetcar driver now about eleven years
& I know the old Toronto city well
There's a whole lotta people who wait along the track
For the signal from my clangin trolley bell...
Chorus:
Put the pole upon the wire now and open up the switch-
It's time to get old rattler sparkin through.
She's red around the bottom and she's yellow on the top
And I drive er' like a driver oughta do...
Chorus:
I love my little wife at home I love my couple kids
They often take the trolley to the park-
They know their daddy's drivin the people here and there,
But I'll be back again to pick them up at dark.
Chorus:
Don't forget your ticket when I open up the door-
Kindly make your way along the aisle
I'll drive ya down to work and I'll safely bring ya back
And I'll try to render service with a smile
Chorus:
I'm a TTC skidaddler...
I been a street car driver now about eleven years
And I know the old Toronto city well
There's a whole lot of people who wait along the track.
For the signal from my clangin trolley bell.
Chorus:
Ya ta sockit to my big red rattler

STOMPIN' TOM (so named because he uses a special piece of wood for his heel stompin' )

http://www.canadajams.ca/images/frontrowcentre/20050907/hi/StompinTomConnors_20050906_0526.jpg
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 06:28 am
Were tramcars used around 1904 in the USA?
Were tramcars used around 1904 in the USA when the first world's fair were organized in St Louis?

Were trolley buses not used in the same period in the UK?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 07:06 am
Re: Were tramcars used around 1904 in the USA?
fansy wrote:
Were tramcars used around 1904 in the USA when the first world's fair were organized in St Louis?

Were trolley buses not used in the same period in the UK?

Tramcars have been around since around 1832 in the USA, first horse drawn and later electric from around 1890. Streetcars (tramcars) were used in St Louis from 1859.

Trolley buses were first used in the UK in Leeds and Bradford in 1911.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:04 am
Re: Were tramcars used around 1904 in the USA?
The world's first trolleybus was called "Elektromote":

Quote:
[For the first time] presented to the public on April 29, 1882 by its inventor Dr. Ernst Werner von Siemens in Halensee a suburb of Berlin, Germany. The Elektromoto operated from April 29 to June 13, 1882, on a 540 m (591 yards) trail-track, starting at the train station Halensee to "Straße No. 5", today's Joachim-Friedrich-Straße, to "Straße No. 13", today's Johann-Georg-Straße, crossing the Kurfürstendamm at the Kurfürstenplatz.

The Elektromoto was a converted four wheel coach, equipped with two electric motors with 2,2 kW power each, transmitting the power using a chain drive to the rear wheels. The current used was 550 V DC. The electric power transmission to the coach was via a flexible cable to a small trailed eight-wheeled "contact car" (Kontaktwagen) running on the power lines. In English language use, the Kontaktwagen was later named "trolley", giving the trolleybus its name.

This experimental vehicle already fulfilled all criteria of a typical trolleybus. After the demonstration runs closed on June 13, the test track was dismantled on June 20, 1882.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektromote"

The first electric streetcar (tram) run in Berlin as well: the Elektrische Straßenbahn Lichterfelde-Kadettenanstalt (tram Lichterfelde to cadet academy), which started on May 16, 1881.

http://i8.tinypic.com/6wpt8jn.jpg
Tram in (Berlin -) Cahrlottenburg at 1882, on an emergency money note from 1922.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 11:12 am
Haven't been back for a couple years, but Seattle had some cool trolleys in the old part of the city that were a blast. Like a little SF without all the loonies.

RH
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 12:20 pm
the city of sALZBURG/AUSTRIA has an extensive network of trolleys and they are planning to extend their network . we visited salzburg in 2001 and found their service excellent - quiet , no diesel fumes , no streetcar tracks , really great .
this is one of the modern coupled trolleys .
hbg

http://www.obus-es.de/images6/178_1.jpg
0 Replies