see a/the doctor

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:29 am
I think what you said is not exactly what I perceive.

In my country, there are many doctors. There are about eight doctors near my house, within walking distance. So, I've a choice of doctors. I can see any one of the doctors because I'm seldom sick, so I don't stick to one doctor. Hence, I'll say, "I'll see a doctor" since I don't see any one of the doctors regularly.

However, if my neighbour often sees a particular doctor because he's often sick and he finds him good, he'll see this doctor all the time whenever he's sick. So, he, IMO, will have to say "I'm going to see the doctor." Am I correct.

Regards
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 401 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fungotheclown

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:42 am
I think so, although I'm pretty sure they are interchangeable to a large degree.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:46 am
Re: see a/the doctor
Yoong Liat wrote:
I think what you said is not exactly what I perceive.

What who said? Where?

Yoong Liat wrote:
I'll say, "I'll see a doctor" since I don't see any one of the doctors regularly.

However, if my neighbour often sees a particular doctor because he's often sick and he finds him good, he'll see this doctor all the time whenever he's sick. So, he, IMO, will have to say "I'm going to see the doctor."

There is no "have to" about it. He can say, "I'm going to see a doctor", or "I'm going to see the doctor", or "I'm going to see Doctor Lee", or "I'm going to see my doctor", just as he pleases.

I'm sure glad I'm not one of your neighbours, Yoong Liat, if you tell them what to say all the time! :wink:

Yoong Liat wrote:
Am I correct.

Always use a question mark ("?") at the end of a question.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:57 am
Hi Contrex

Thanks for your detailed reply.

The 'perceived' part was inadvertently pasted, It has nothing to do wth the question.

As regards the missing question marks, it is again a careless mistake.

Regards
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:41 am
I would just mention a couple of AmE/BrE differences regarding medical treatment:-

1. In BrE if one is treated as an "in-patient" in a hospital, one is said to be "in hospital", while is AmE one is "in the hospital".

2. In BrE, the room where the doctor sees you is called his (or her) "surgery" or "consulting room", but not, as in AmE, his (or her) "office".

Maybe AmE speakers would prefer one of "the doctor" or "a doctor"? In BrE it doesn't really matter, in the situation you outlined. If you and your neighbour both know the doctor, and your neighbour knows you well, he would probably use the doctor's name. But I agree with you about "a" for a non-specified notional doctor and "the" for a known, specific doctor.

If they thought somebody looked or seemed ill, BrE speakers would probably say, "You should see a doctor". If I had been seeing my doctor, and my illness recurred, my wife would say "You should go back to the doctor".
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:46 am
Thanks, Contrex.
0 Replies