hyphens

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:24 am
a 5-year-old child
a 5 year old child

Am I correct to say that nowadays hyphens are often dropped as in the second phrase above? Or is it just careless writing?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 705 • Replies: 10
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:04 am
Only use figures for terse, informal or abbreviated writing such as notes. Hyphenate ages when they are adjective phrases involving a unit of measurement. So: a five-year-old child.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:06 am
Many thanks. Contrex.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:09 am
You are correct to say that hyphens are often dropped as in your second sentence. It could be either carelessness or style preference I suppose. I personally prefer the hyphenated form.

I feel that since adjective phrases of the type being discussed use the singular form of the measurement unit, they would look odd without the hyphens

A five-foot-long snake (A snake that is five feet long)

A fifty-pound-weight sack of coal (A sack of coal weighing fifty pounds)

A fifteen-mile-per-hour cycling speed limit (A cycling speed limit of fifteen miles per hour)
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:40 am
Hi Contrex

Thanks for your guidance.

a one-month old baby (Some people, out of ignorance, leave out the second hyphen. This makes it appear that the baby is old when it is only one month in age.)

Best wishes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:46 am
Good point.

Your English, thanks to your long-standing task-orientated never-say-die nose-to-the-grindstone approach, seems to be much better now, YL.

Smile

Hey do you guys say oriented or orientated? They seem nowadays to be thought of as synonymous, but I favour the latter.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:03 pm
McTag wrote:
Good point.

Your English, thanks to your long-standing task-orientated never-say-die nose-to-the-grindstone approach, seems to be much better now, YL.

Smile

Hey do you guys say oriented or orientated? They seem nowadays to be thought of as synonymous, but I favour the latter.

Hi Mc Tag

Thanks for the kind words. I've not only you to thank but Contrex and Mame and some other members whose names I cannot remember because of my poor memory.

I'm a perfectionist and will strive to improve every day, bit by bit.

BTW, I've never heard of 'long-standing task-orientated never-say-die nose-to-the-grindstone approach'. I've learned a new expression from you. Thanks again.

According to the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 'oriented' and 'orientated' are synonyms.

Best wishes
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:21 pm
I say "oriented".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:10 pm
Quote:
BTW, I've never heard of 'long-standing task-orientated never-say-die nose-to-the-grindstone approach'. I've learned a new expression from you.

Methinks McTag was being humorously prolix!

Quote:
I say "oriented".

Me too. Both orient and orientate come from the same French verb, orienter, but were introduced at different times, the shorter one in the eighteenth century and the longer in the middle of the nineteenth. Robert Burchfield, in the Third Edition of Fowler's Modern English Usage, says "One can have no fundamental quarrel with anyone who decides to use the longer of the two words". This is a British view, since there orientated is common; in the US it is less so and considered much less a part of the standard language. One might think that odd, since BrE "transport" and "import" are shorter than the AmE "transportation" and "importation"
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 06:50 pm
It's just an extra syllable which serves no useful purpose Smile
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:47 pm
Contrex wrote: One might think that odd, since BrE "transport" and "import" are shorter than the AmE "transportation" and "importation"

I agree.

In AmE, words like 'color' and 'honor' have their u's removed.
However, sometimes, in AmE the longer version is the correct spelling. It seems they prefer to differ from the British.
0 Replies