correct use of 'treat'

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:17 am
John's business failed, and he was declared a bankrupt. Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he treats often when he was doing well.

Is the word 'treat' correctly used? I feel that it is incorrect, but I do not know how to phrased it in a better way. "Treat" in the sentence means that John gave them treats often.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,190 • Replies: 27
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:33 am
John's business failed and was declared a bankruptcy. Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he had treated well during the good times.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:36 am
I guess I misunderstood you. Try this instead...

John's business failed and was declared a bankruptcy. Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he had given treats to during the good times. John decided those people must die.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:39 am
Or: John gathered up the last of his treats, the ones he used to dole out to his valued customers, and loaded them into a bag. He also placed a knife in the bag, as well as some duct tape and a length of rope. Soon, these ingrates who had abandoned him during the bad times, his treats still moist on their lips, would feel the full wrath of John's fury. Soon, their screams would shatter the stillness of the summer night. John smiled in anticipation.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:43 am
What about this;

John said he would treat me to a steak dinner.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:04 am
Gus

You are confusing me. I'm asking a question and you are turning it into a joke.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:13 am
I answered you. Things got out of control shortly thereafter, but there is in answer there.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:18 am
There is IN answer there????

NOW I AM VERY ANGERY

I treat you to a can of whoop ass.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:21 am
Ooops. Will you ever forgive me?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:35 am
John's business failed, and he was declared a bankrupt. Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he treats often when he was doing well.

Is the word 'treat' correctly used? I feel that it is incorrect, but I do not know how to phrased it in a better way. "Treat" in the sentence means that John gave them treats often.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:42 am
No, it isn't used correctly.

Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he gave treats to when he was doing well.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:43 am
Sglass, you're better at this sort of thing. Write out the sentence for him please.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
No, it isn't used correctly.

Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he gave treats to when he was doing well.

Hi Gus

Thanks for being serious for once. If nobody comes up with another version, your answer is correct, as I think it is.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:03 pm
I was serious on my original response, young man.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
John's business failed and was declared a bankruptcy. Many of his friends stopped contacting him, even those whom he had treated well during the good times.

Gus is right (for once)

Note, you don't "give treats" in a business context. That expression would better be used in a family context, where children were involved.

A busiess "treat" is usually a gift, a favour (favor) or a perk.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm
Re: correct use of 'treat'
Yoong Liat wrote:

Many thanks.

I don't think he was declared A bankrupt - he declared bankruptcy or he was bankrupt.

He treated them well. Use the same verb tense - his business failED, he declarED bankruptcy, and he treatED them often. Use the past tense of treated because it was in the past.

JMO.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

What is declared a bankruptcy? "Treated well" - that's not what I was asking about. I meant 'gave treats to'.

Gus, last warning or I'll contact the Grammar Police and you will be in trouble. I mean business.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:27 pm
Note please, the difference in meaning between "treat", and "give treats to".

They are not the same, and a dictionary will help with this.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:31 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

What is declared a bankruptcy? "Treated well" - that's not what I was asking about. I meant 'gave treats to'.

Gus, last warning or I'll contact the Grammar Police and you will be in trouble. I mean business.

Laughing

Gus's answer was correct, and was well-meant.

The example he gave (and it's sometimes difficult to supply a useful example) was intended to be helpful.
0 Replies