Fate??? KITTENS!!!!!! with added pics

Misti26

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:56 pm
Me too Margo .......

Did I tell you about the time I was feeling sorry for the kitties stuck in the house all the time? Well, my grandson Doug was visiting so I thought it was a good opportunity since I would have his help.

We all got in the car okay, then moved slowly down the parking lot, at which time both kitties cried like babies. I couldn't stand to see them so scared, so back into the house we went.

Haven't tried that again since!

Boo hoo! Sad
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 01:33 pm
She doesn't like being in the car or put in her carrier but accepts it quietly and without being terrified. She puts her paw through the bars though and i have to hold it as I've said before - I end up driving one handed and when i have to let go to change gear she flaps it at me to be held again!

I just want to see if she could have a bit more freedom travelling - she didn't like being on anyone's knee in the car, she freaked at that. I don't know when I'll get chance to experiment though.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 07:20 pm
I guess I should have persisted more instead of giving in!

I can just picture Rosie giving you her paw for comfort! That is the cutest I ever heard:) Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:19 am
I had a head start on the car stakes with her only being 2 weeks old - she wasn't at all scared as a tiny baby and would play in her carrier or go to sleep happily (and at first she had Paddy with her as well) and i had to take her to work every day for a few weeks because of the 3 hourly feeds - so that's why she isn't terrified. It is familiar to her.

I don't know if persevering helps if they are really frightened. Timmy used to be petrified (into incontinence and he was a very very clean and fussy cat) and Casey was always frightened. I made the mistake of taking them on holiday one year - about 150 miles or so. Timmy cried ALL the way and was hoarse when we got there. I felt so guilty.

it's funny - they always understand when it's the return journey, from vets, holidays, visits whatever and never fuss then.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:15 pm
Vivien wrote:

it's funny - they always understand when it's the return journey, from vets, holidays, visits whatever and never fuss then.

That's true!
Poss screams all the way to the vet, from the time he sees the cage. The only way I can shut him up a bit is to talk to him in a sort of singsong voice. We then just have a sort of low howl! By the time we get to the vet, he's hoarse and I'm a wreck.

On the way home, we just have a low sound of disgust. Of course, he doesn't speak to me for up to a day after we get home!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:32 am
That's interesting, margo. Flatty jumps back into his cage, ready to go, when he thinks the vet's finished with him. But the trip there! Moma mia!
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:15 am
You want to know about Sun Dance
Hi Vivien, Margo and Misti26,

So, you would like some information on the Lakota Sun Dance Ceremony. I think it's a bit Rolling Eyes off topic. I am wiling to talk about it but not here. Look for a Lakota thread under, "Sprituality & Religion".
About pix of my feline family it may take some time. The human members of the household are in a tizzy. We are moving to South Dakota.
I have lots of mixed emotions about it. Not just the whole moving mess but why do so many people want us there? Search me, Billie and I are just trying to live our lives in a good way.
Back to pix, later today, (I hope), I'll set up a wed site with one of the free servers and post photos so you can see the whole family. Till then...

All my best

Sam
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:42 pm
Good deal Sam, can't wait to see the pics:)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 02:44 am
Me too, Sam!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:30 am
waiting with bated breath ..... Very Happy

it sound interesting
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:08 pm
Vivien,

I just finished the posting on the Sun Dance in Spirituality and Religion. Feel free to ask questions and make comments.

Very Happy
Sam
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:15 pm
Vivien wrote:
... and explain the sun dancing to me?

Sam has started a new topic under Religion and Spirituality called Lakota Sun Dance. Her posting gives a lot of good information about it. How do I Know? I'm her partner and sometime reference. Very Happy

Btw, nice pix of pets that have been posted. Ours are more than loving and frustrating, sometime both simutaneously, but they are our babies. Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:10 pm
a couple of local cats had chased Rosie into the house, out of her own garden recently.

Last night i saw one jump up onto the fence as i was holding Rosie and looking at my flowers so i hissed at it (yes I know I'm sad!) Rosie looked at me a bit worried and then turned to kiss me and joined in - really funny and silly looking I'm sure but the cat flew!

Today she was in the garden, all unsuspecting and it made a run at her - I hissed at it and she turned round, hissed and with a tail like a bottle brush, chased it out of the garden! she's learning to stand up for herself Very Happy

A water pistol is on the shopping list for the bullies ....
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:17 pm
Vivien
That's quite a sensible response.

I've been in the position of protector, with Possum, a ball of fur, really telling off an interloper, from behind my legs! A couple of times he's hollered, to let me know someone's there, and then come out with me to help with the despatching, all fluffed up!

We don't seem to have that problem now, so something must have worked! Or now that Poss is the size of a small pony, we have fewer interlopers! They don't know he's a wuss-cat!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 02:23 pm
lovely mental picture of the Poss hiding behind your legs!!!

amazing how brave they are with 'mum' behind them isn't it?!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:29 pm
If cats wore t-shirts, here is what they might say:

"Purrfection cannot be improved"

"If you don't like my attitude, you should see my cat"

"Menopaws, This is the hottest I've been in years."

"Take my advice. I'm not using it."

"I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in?"

0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 02:51 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:44 pm
One of you, dear, cat lovers posted information on how to post pictures. Now I can not find the post. Help! Please either direct me to the original post or post the information again. Thank you ever so much.

Sam
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:26 am
It's decision time soon - to take Rosie on holiday or to leave her with parents?

in a few weeks we are going to the coast for a holiday, self catering. Do we take Rosie with us? she's very good in the car but will be petrified in strange surrounding - or do we leave her with my parents, who adore her but she won't talk to!

She was never settled when we visited them but would play with my dad, though if he picked her up she'd hiss at him (no manners my little feral tiger I'm afraid). She'd eat the treats my mum gave her. She isn't happy there because she's a very nervous scaredy cat (runs in from the garden at home in panic if a loud gust of wind blows!)

My parents had been to France for a month and so Rosie hadn't seen them for about 6 weeks.

We went up this week and she was fine in the car as usual but wouldn't come out of her travelling box except to hide briefly behind the sofa before hiding right at the back of the travelling box again Rolling Eyes wouldn't eat proferred cream etc, wouldn't play.

The minute i put her box in the car to go home - straight to front of box looking perky again and as we pulled away from the drive the paw flapped about asking to be held Rolling Eyes yes i have to drive one handed, change gear and the paw flaps at me to be held again Confused

The thing is my parents adore cats and look after my daughters equally timid cat very successfully when she goes away, after the first day she settles down and is pretty much ok. I know they will look after her well.

Rosie is a rather more determined little madam though and i have visions of her spending the week lurking behind the sofa glowering at them!

If we take her with us, at least she'll have us there at night and she sleeps most of the day anyway.

She's never done 5 hours+ in the car though.... oh decisions, decisions ....

there's also the worry of her getting lost somehow
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 04:42 am
Vivian

My suggestion is to seriously consider leaving her with your parents. You'll be certain she's safe & well looked after. They'd be aware of all her little idiosyncrasies & try hard to make sure she's happy.
I think it'd be good for her to be with someone apart from you & your husband for a bit .... You never know when something important might come up & it'll be necessary for you to have someone else to look after her. She's not to old to become ajusted to the idea at this age.
I used to become quite fretful about leaving my cat family at a cattery when X & I travelled ... Only to come back & find that they were fine! Cats will adjust if they have to, I discovered.
0 Replies