Guns and the Supreme Court

McTag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 01:54 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Every freedom is messy and has some cost. Freedom of speech and assemby, for example, occasionally require the police to guard marchers or demonstrators for unpopular causes, which costs money. Once you accept the idea that everyone is entitled to personal liberty, then the right to defend one's person follows immediately, and the statistics regarding gun violence are interesting, but irrelevant.

You might be surprised to learn that I feel exactly the same as you do about self-defence.
But here, our policemen don't carry guns. Our burglars don't either. And so I don't feel I need one.
It's a whole different approach.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:04 pm
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Every freedom is messy and has some cost. Freedom of speech and assemby, for example, occasionally require the police to guard marchers or demonstrators for unpopular causes, which costs money. Once you accept the idea that everyone is entitled to personal liberty, then the right to defend one's person follows immediately, and the statistics regarding gun violence are interesting, but irrelevant.

You might be surprised to learn that I feel exactly the same as you do about self-defence.
But here, our policemen don't carry guns. Our burglars don't either. And so I don't feel I need one.

Actually, I don't own a gun, never have, and probably never will. I'm talking in the abstract, but I do feel strongly about the principle. If one knew for sure that one would never be confronted with violence, then there would be no need to be armed, but one can't really know that. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a gun in one's house just in case that terrible day ever comes. I don't want to hurt anyone, but if I or my wife were threatened, and I had a gun, and the level of the threat put me in fear of imminent harm, I would use it.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:08 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Actually, I don't own a gun, never have, and probably never will. I'm talking in the abstract, but I do feel strongly about the principle. If one knew for sure that one would never be confronted with violence, then there would be no need to be armed, but one can't really know that. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a gun in one's house just in case that terrible day ever comes. I don't want to hurt anyone, but if I or my wife were threatened, and I had a gun, and the level of the threat put me in fear of imminent harm, I would use it.

Yeah, me too.
But these hypotheses make the head hurt.
Is the fear of crime worse that the reality? I think the media stoke it up, and folks get twitchy and paranoid.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:21 pm
H2O wrote-

Quote:
People firing guns have killed and injured far less people than people driving motor vehicles.

I read, but don't know if it's true, that more Americans have been killed by motor vehicles than have been killed in all the wars they have been in put together.

If you justify gun ownership on those grounds then, if that is true, you have justified war and anything else with a lower statistic.

It is not a valid argument.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:43 pm
spendius wrote:
H2O wrote-

Quote:
People firing guns have killed and injured far less people than people driving motor vehicles.

I read, but don't know if it's true, that more Americans have been killed by motor vehicles than have been killed in all the wars they have been in put together.

If you justify gun ownership on those grounds then, if that is true, you have justified war and anything else with a lower statistic.

If you justify anti-gun ownership efforts because you " don't like reading about all the mall and
school slayings, and the guys in car trunks with sniper rifles. " then your argument is not valid.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:57 pm
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

But gun crimes are on the increase in the UK.

Quote:
According to Home Office figures, there were 59 firearms-related homicides in 2006-07 compared with 49 in the previous year. That is an increase of 18% in just one year. There were 507 serious injuries from firearms - more than one incident a day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6960431.stm

And here is another article, with some interesting statistics...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2656875.stm

Quote:
You are now six times more likely to be mugged in London than New York. Why? Because as common law appreciated, not only does an armed individual have the ability to protect himself or herself but criminals are less likely to attack them. They help keep the peace. A study found American burglars fear armed home-owners more than the police. As a result burglaries are much rarer and only 13% occur when people are at home, in contrast to 53% in England.

Quote:
When guns were available in England they were seldom used in crime. A government study for 1890-1892 found an average of one handgun homicide a year in a population of 30 million. But murder rates for both countries are now changing. In 1981 the American rate was 8.7 times the English rate, in 1995 it was 5.7 times the English rate, and by last year it was 3.5 times. With American rates described as "in startling free-fall" and British rates as of October 2002 the highest for 100 years the two are on a path to converge.

So firearms crimes do happen in the UK.
Whats interesting is how the Home Office defines "firearms".

Quote:
Types of firearm include air weapons, imitation weapons, rifles, shotguns and
handguns, as well as CS gas and pepper sprays.

That is straight from the Home Office report.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
spendius wrote:
David wrote-

Quote:
Since the day of my birth,
I have always been a very selfish person.

Everyone shud be.

A mere affectation old boy I'm afraid.
Whistling up one's independent spirit when lost in a snowstorm.

R u disputing my SELFISHNESS ??
I have it on the authority
of my own mother, from a very early age,
that I am selfish.

We implicitly stipulated to that.

Since then, I have striven earnestly to elevate
my selfishness to ever higher strata of perfection.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:22 pm
spendius wrote:
H2O wrote-

Quote:
People firing guns have killed and injured far less people than
people driving motor vehicles.

I read, but don't know if it's true, that more Americans have been killed
by motor vehicles than have been killed in all the wars they have been
in put together.

If you justify gun ownership on those grounds then, if that is true,
you have justified war and anything else with a lower statistic.

When any citizen decides whether to arm himself
or herself in personal defense, sound reasoning dictatates
that he or she apply criteria of INDIVIDUAL well being,
with no consideration of society.
( The alternative to that is to harbor essentially suicidal ideation,
i.e., " I 'll cast my fate to the winds " and live or die
in the discretion of any predatory man or beast who chooses to take him out. )

REGARDLESS of that,
FBI statistics have shown that crime dropped
the year after a state ( 40 out of the 50 so far )
rejected gun control in favor of " must issue "
Concealed Carry Weapons licensure,
as distinct from discretionary discriminination.

Not even one of those states has had a bad experience
and changed its mind and reverted to gun control.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
Choosing to walk thru the world
in a state of defensive nakedness,
of conscious HELPLESSNESS,
is a variation on the theme of
playing Russian Roulette.

It leaves one 's survival simply to chance,
in the hope that no predator will see fit to strike.

That is an irresponsible and unhealthy state-of-mind.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 04:23 pm
David wrote-

Quote:
Choosing to walk thru the world
in a state of defensive nakedness,
of conscious HELPLESSNESS,
is a variation on the theme of
playing Russian Roulette.

Yes, I know. But it is the fundamental teaching of Jesus as well.

H2O wrote-

Quote:
If you justify anti-gun ownership efforts because you " don't like reading about all the mall and
school slayings, and the guys in car trunks with sniper rifles. " then your argument is not valid.

I justified gun ownership in the US not many posts ago and criticised Mac for questioning it.

I don't like reading about starvation in Africa or any atrocity anywhere. I'm not hung up on the special sanctity of American lives. All men are equal aren't they?

I think you have a non-sequitur on your hands.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 05:09 pm
spendius wrote:

I think you have a non-sequitur on your hands.

I didn't realize this was a formal debate, I had better go wash that non-sequitur off my hands.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:16 pm
Do it with H2O H2O . Aqua Regia is no good.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:35 pm
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

But here, our policemen don't carry guns.
Our burglars don't either.

And so I don't feel I need one.

What is the source of your information ?

Did u search them all on-the-job ? ( r thay ticklish ??? )

or

maybe while thay were on trial for burglary
thay said: " O, no. I did not have a gun with me at the time "
and u thought their strength of character to be such as to preclude mendacity ?

What about those who practice " hot burglaries "
i..e., when the house is known to be occupied
( by legally disarmed victims ) ?

Are those burglars unarmed ?

If so, then
how do those burglars
enforce their acquisitive intentions, Mr. McTag ?

David

P.S.:
If the burglars find their victims
to be in violation of the law
and well armed, are the burglars saddened or disappointed ?

Do thay consider the victims to be CHEATING ??

What do the burglars DO in such circumstances,
of unco-operative victims who are armed REGARDLESS ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:47 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Actually, I don't own a gun, never have, and probably never will.
I'm talking in the abstract, but I do feel strongly about the principle.
If one knew for sure that one would never be confronted with violence,
then there would be no need to be armed, but one can't really know that.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a gun in one's house just in case
that terrible day ever comes. I don't want to hurt anyone, but if I or my
wife were threatened, and I had a gun, and the level of the threat put me
in fear of imminent harm, I would use it.

Point of information:
Is it more acceptable and more reasonable
for u or your wife to become the victims of predatory violence
out in the street, like the late Kitty Genovese
( such that u don 't need defensive guns there ) ?

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:51 pm
McTag wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:
I'm getting pretty fed-up with "inalienable rights" ad nauseam and 230-year-old declarations treated like Moses had come down from the mount with them tucked under his arm.

I don't see the merit of this comparison. The right of the people to hold and bear arms can be repealed by amending the American constitution. The ten commandments, quite unfortunately in some cases, can't. If it's nauseating to you that your opinion isn't shared by enough Americans to repeal the Second Amendment -- well, tough. Your being fed up is irrelevant to the rights guaranteed by the US constitution.

Some rights good, some rights bad.

Remember the ladies and gentlemen in various Muslim countries who burned Danish fags and torched Danish embassies because of the Muhammad caricatures? They would agree with you, and apply the same reasoning to First Amendment rights like the freedoms of speech and of the press.

McTag wrote:
The founding fathers didn't envisage space travel either.

They were, however, familiar with your argument that entrusting guns to common citizens would mean blood in the streets. John Adams mentions it as characteristic of continental European states, and devotes a few paragraphs to arguing against it in his Defence of the Constitutions of the United States. (Plural, because he's defending the state constitutions as well as the federal constitution.) I'm too lazy at the moment to look up these paragraphs in Adams's 300 page book. But if the point is very important to you, I'll give it a, well, shot.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 06:56 pm
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Yeah, me too.
But these hypotheses make the head hurt.
Is the fear of crime worse that the reality?
I think the media stoke it up, and folks get twitchy and paranoid.

NO.
The reality is worse than the fear; sometimes it has been grotesquely so.
( Think of Jack the Ripper. )

When I was 8 years old,
I felt a little uneasy,
tho I lived in a good and peaceful neighborhood in Arizona.

I thereafter won a .38 revolver from some other kids in a poker game,
after which I was invested with better serenity; no subsequent fear.

David
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:09 pm
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

They were, however, familiar with your argument that entrusting guns to common citizens would mean blood in the streets. John Adams mentions it as characteristic of continental European states, and devotes a few paragraphs to arguing against it in his Defence of the Constitutions of the United States. (Plural, because he's defending the state constitutions as well as the federal constitution.) I'm too lazy at the moment to look up these paragraphs in Adams's 300 page book. But if the point is very important to you, I'll give it a, well, shot.

I need to amend this in the interest of balance: Adams also believed in tight legal regulation of the militia, because there would be blood in the streets without them: "To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws"
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:18 pm
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:
I'm getting pretty fed-up with "inalienable rights" ad nauseam and 230-year-old declarations treated like Moses had come down from the mount with them tucked under his arm.

I don't see the merit of this comparison. The right of the people to hold and bear arms can be repealed by amending the American constitution. The ten commandments, quite unfortunately in some cases, can't. If it's nauseating to you that your opinion isn't shared by enough Americans to repeal the Second Amendment -- well, tough. Your being fed up is irrelevant to the rights guaranteed by the US constitution.

Some rights good, some rights bad.

Quote:
Remember the ladies and gentlemen in various Muslim countries who burned Danish fags
and torched Danish embassies because of the Muhammad caricatures?
They would agree with you, and apply the same reasoning to
First Amendment rights like the freedoms of speech and of the press.

I must have missed that.
I bet the fags wished thay were sufficiently well armed
to fend off the torch bearing Moslems.

Did thay survive the event ?

McTag wrote:

Quote:
They were, however, familiar with your argument that entrusting guns
to common citizens would mean blood in the streets. John Adams
mentions it as characteristic of continental European states,
and devotes a few paragraphs to arguing against it in his Defence of the Constitutions of the United States. (Plural,
because he's defending the state constitutions as well as the federal constitution.)
I'm too lazy at the moment to look up these paragraphs in Adams's 300
page book. But if the point is very important to you, I'll give it a, well, shot.

It is worthy of note that citizens' possession of guns
was a lot older than the government.
Indeed, it was against the law, in Colonial times,
for citizens to go to Church in an unarmed condition.
( Statutes of Virginia Colony 1631)
Thay were probably losing too many Christians on the way to Church.
The concept of going unarmed
can be analogized to failing to wear a seatbelt in a car;
i.e., it was deemed irresponsible.

Even if thay cud have called 911,
there were no police to respond, until the next century.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:23 pm
Thomas wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

I need to amend this in the interest of balance: Adams also believed in tight legal regulation of the militia, because there would be blood in the streets without them: "To suppose arms in the hands of citizens, to be used at individual discretion, except in private self-defense, or by partial orders of towns, countries or districts of a state, is to demolish every constitution, and lay the laws prostrate, so that liberty can be enjoyed by no man; it is a dissolution of the government. The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws"

Definition of " partial orders " ?

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 07:49 pm
Thomas wrote:

Remember the ladies and gentlemen in various Muslim countries who burned Danish fags

Fag burning is so 1980s
0 Replies