Guns and the Supreme Court

roger

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 02:45 pm
+1
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:31 pm
McTag wrote:
I'm getting pretty fed-up with "inalienable rights" ad nauseam and 230-year-old declarations treated like Moses had come down from the mount with them tucked under his arm.

I don't see the merit of this comparison. The right of the people to hold and bear arms can be repealed by amending the American constitution. The ten commandmends, quite unfortunately in some cases, can't. If it's nauseating to you that your opinion isn't shared by enough Americans to repeal the Second Amendment -- well, tough. Your being fed up is irrelevant to the rights guaranteed by the US constitution.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:47 pm
McTag said...

Quote:
I'm getting pretty fed-up with "inalienable rights" ad nauseam and 230-year-old declarations treated like Moses had come down from the mount with them tucked under his arm

OK, how about the right to free speech, freedom of the press, the right to peaceably assemble, the right to be secure in your papers and effects, the right to freedom of religion,etc?

Do you recognize those?
Those rights were also handed down 230 years ago.
Its called the Bill of Rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:49 pm
McTag wrote:
Gun owners: When you clean and load your guns, do you see yourself more closely resembling

a) Davy Crockett

b) Billy the Kid

c) Audie Murphy

d) James Bond

e) George C Scott as Gen Patton

f) Other (Annie Oakley)

?

Certainly not any of the above characters.

Can't really think of an "other" to write in the blank either.

Don't really see myself as anything but myself.

I do dream of the day when the government brings back the militia, so maybe I see myself as a member of the Swiss Militia (as Switzerland actually has a militia).

But not really. I'm not imagining myself to be a member of the militia. I'm wishing the government would stop violating my right to be in a militia.

So, back to my original answer: I see myself as being myself.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 03:52 pm
McTag wrote:
I'm getting pretty fed-up with "inalienable rights" ad nauseam and 230-year-old declarations treated like Moses had come down from the mount with them tucked under his arm.

Too bad. We aren't going to give up our freedom here in America.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:03 pm
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

I don't see the merit of this comparison. The right of the people to hold and bear arms can be repealed by amending the American constitution. The ten commandmends, quite unfortunately in some cases, can't. If it's nauseating to you that your opinion isn't shared by enough Americans to repeal the Second Amendment -- well, tough. Your being fed up is irrelevant to the rights guaranteed by the US constitution.

Some rights good, some rights bad. The founding fathers didn't envisage space travel either.

You are all carefully skating round the point. Which is rather like "an eye for an eye makes everybody blind". People have guns because they don't trust each other. And the ready availability of guns causes nasty incidents (nobody has yet answered my previous question). Wouldn't it be good if more people would try to grasp this particular nettle?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:07 pm
McTag wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

Some rights good, some rights bad. The founding fathers didn't envisage space travel either.

You are all carefully skating round the point. Which is rather like "an eye for an eye makes everybody blind". People have guns because they don't trust each other. And the ready availability of guns causes nasty incidents (nobody has yet answered my previous question). Wouldn't it be good if more people would try to grasp this particular nettle?

No, it would be bad. Every living creature has the right to self-defense. Sure, I will let the police protect me, if feasible, but I absolutely, positively have the right to defend myself if neccessary, and that means defend myself effectively. All that's really going on here is that you have very little understanding of human rights. Another of our Founders said, "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Go ahead and turn your country into a police state if you want to, but we won't allow that to happen here.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:08 pm
H2O_MAN wrote:
McTag wrote:

LOL !! who really cares if you're fed-up or not.

Our inalienable rights are more important than the declarations Moses shared.

And you in Georgia too. I hope you're not struck by a lightning bolt this weekend. :wink:

Im not asking that you care about me. Only that you think about you.

Smile
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:28 pm
Quote:
Im not asking that you care about me. Only that you think about you.

Those of us that own guns, for pleasure, hunting, or self defense ARE thinking about ourselves.

I suggest you do some light reading, so here is a good place to start...

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/eastvalleyopinions/articles/0505gr-lets06.html

Quote:
May. 6, 2005 12:00 AM

The police are not required to protect individual citizens.

In Warren v. District of Columbia 1981, the D.C. Court of Appeals ruled "official police personnel and the government employing them are not generally liable to victims of criminal acts for failure to provide adequate police protection . . . this uniformly accepted rule rests upon the fundamental principle that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular citizen . . . a publicly maintained police force constitutes a basic governmental service provided to benefit the community at large by promoting public peace, safety and good order."

Also in Bowers v. DeVito 1982, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled, "there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." advertisement

Armed law-abiding citizens are just doing what is needed to do to be safe from criminals and madmen in their homes, cars, bars or restaurants.

So now lets do a little more research...

http://www.projectposner.org/case/1982/686F2d616/

Quote:
But there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/warren.html

Read the last sentence.

As you can see, the police are not obligated to protect citizens, so citizens must be able to defend and protect themselves.
While most people will not be victims of crime, the fact that it CAN happen is enough to allow me to defend myself.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:39 pm
"....a publicly maintained police force constitutes a basic governmental service provided to benefit the community at large by promoting public peace, safety and good order."

If I was going to set about doing that, from first principles, one of the obvious steps would be to take away the guns from the bad guys.
And since there's no way of telling the good guys from the bad, that would have to mean everybody.

Seems like common sense to me, and you don't have to get bogged down in sonorous statements about inalienable rights. What about my rights not to be shot?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:54 pm
McTag wrote:
"....a publicly maintained police force constitutes a basic governmental service provided to benefit the community at large by promoting public peace, safety and good order."

If I was going to set about doing that, from first principles, one of the obvious steps would be to take away the guns from the bad guys.
And since there's no way of telling the good guys from the bad, that would have to mean everybody.

Seems like common sense to me, and you don't have to get bogged down in sonorous statements about inalienable rights. What about my rights not to be shot?

The best way to not get shot is to not threaten others with bodily harm.
I notice you ignored what the courts said about the police, why is that?
Did it not fit your mindset?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:32 pm
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

Well said.

If I need a lawyer,
I wanna hire U !!!

David
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:00 pm
McTag wrote:

And you in Georgia too. I hope you're not struck by a lightning bolt this weekend. :wink:

Smile

I've been hit twice. Once when I was 9 and again when I was 18 - I'm fine.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:28 pm
McTag wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:

Some rights good, some rights bad.

All rights good, no rights bad.

McTag wrote:
The founding fathers didn't envisage space travel either.

It isn't necessary to envisage space travel to protect our civil rights.

McTag wrote:

Plenty of dangerous objects can cause nasty incidents. Typically the solution is to treat the dangerous object with care and respect so as to avoid such incidents.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:34 pm
McTag wrote:

If you were doing it here in America, you'd have to get bogged down in such statements.

We have no intention of ever relinquishing our civil rights here.

(And a lot of us were aghast at they way the UK and Australia so freely repealed their fundamental gun rights.)
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 12:15 am
Mc Tag
Your treading on dangerous ground when you try to take away a U.S. citizens right to act like John Wayne.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:04 am
rabel22 wrote:
Mc Tag
Your treading on dangerous ground
when you try to take away a U.S. citizens right to act like John Wayne.

Even a little old lady can succeed
in defending herself from the violence of man or beast
if she has the necessary emergency equipment.

She need not emulate John Wayne.

Maybe she can emulate Annie Oakley.

David
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:13 am
rabel22 wrote:
Mc Tag
Your treading on dangerous ground when you try to take away a U.S. citizens right to act like John Wayne.

Act like John Wayne? Would that fall under Freedom of Speech?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 02:46 am
McTag wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
McTag wrote:
Okay since there are honestly-held but polarised legal opinions on this matter, a clarification is obviously required, and a revision to the wording of the Constitution, written as it was all these years ago for a completely different world.

Maybe something along the lines of

"Whereas it is recognised that the function of law enforcement is nowadays undertaken by the police, and the function of defense of the state is undertaken by the armed forces, and no citizen has need to shoot his slaves or the indians or his neighbours or the redcoats any more,

and whereas many of the the people who own guns seem to be the very last people who should be let anywhere near them,

and due to a large number of regularly recurring regrettable incidents, for the better governance of the country and the safety of its citizens the previous widely-assumed "right of the people to bear arms" is hereby rescinded
."

Congratulations, you get it! Now all you have to do is persuade two thirds of each house of Congress to pass this amendment, then get three quarters of the states to ratify it -- and you're done!

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas . . . you're so naïve.
First he has to found a special interest group with more money
and a wider base among the electorate than the National Rifle Association
(an organization which seems much more interested in handguns and
machine guns than in rifles).

It is worthy of note
that democracy cannot work
without such special interest groups as NRA
or the 2nd Amendment Foundation
et al,
because the electorate wud endure in a state of woeful ignorance
of what governments are doing on all levels, fed, state n local.
We RELY upon SIGs to alert us to what is in the works
before its too late, so that we can contact our representatives
and threaten to disemploy them if thay fail to represent US
and just do as thay damn please.

David

We use journalists for that.
You know, impartial and disinterested people with investigative skills.

How naive.
Their function is to sell newspapers
( e.g., by exposing such sensationalism as sexually related scandals )
not to fight for the personal freedom of the citizens
( or in YOUR case: the subjects, those who are held in subjection ).

In order to get the job done,
u need narrowly skilled lobbyists
used by the special interest groups,
watching all bills in every state, county and village,
as well as on the federal level.
This must be known in relation to all pertinent judicial case law,
and relevant matters of fact, every day of every month
of every year.
Then the special interest group
must alert its members to hurry to lobby.

Newsmen don 't care about that.

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2008 04:11 am
The Joys of Debate-

Quote:
US Gun Statistics
Various Sources
2-2-5

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept. of Health Human Services)

Guns
(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
Yes, that is 80 million.

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.000188.

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!

Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
0 Replies