Do these people have "Support Our Troops" stickers?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:21 pm
Military Asks Wounded Soldiers to Return Portions of Signing Bonuses

Gee, sorry about you losing your leg. But ya know, you promised to serve for four years....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,165 • Replies: 41
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:25 pm
oh
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 03:06 pm
That's just awful. But not unknown here either, in limits on compensation for injuries and chronic medical conditions due to soldiers being wounded in action.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 02:45 am
Where's the champ who wants to denfend this kind of trash? Retroactively taking that signing bonus is absolutely ridiculous. I hope those fuckers do have the 3.00 support our troops yellow ribbons on the backs of their car. I hope they do, because it's the label of the idiot.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 02:05 am
Diest TKO wrote:
Where's the champ who wants to denfend this kind of trash? Retroactively taking that signing bonus is absolutely ridiculous. I hope those **** do have the 3.00 support our troops yellow ribbons on the backs of their car. I hope they do, because it's the label of the idiot.

T
K
O

Chances are there is another side to this story, but even if there is not, the problem is beauocracy (the right arm of the Left) not policy makers.

Support Our Troops bumper stickers are the labels of the idiot?

I've struggled to come up with a subtle retort, but I'm afraid that all I am left with is: "Good God you are an A-hole!"

TKO?

Please.

You really are an A-hole aren't you?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 01:00 pm
The truth of the matter is that unless they buy their yellow ribbon at the VA, the profit doesn't go to support the troops in any way. Those stupid ribbons are only an atempt by the purchaser to market themselves as being caring without actually having to put out any effort. It's a shitty way to "support our trrops."

If you'd like to defend the taking of these troops signing bonus, do so, if not go polish your yellow ribbon car magnet in silence.

T
K
O
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 10:09 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes.

Buying it is one thing... the ostentatious display of "altruism" is idiocy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:33 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Yes.

Buying it is one thing... the ostentatious display of "altruism" is idiocy.

I take it you consider all bumper stickers to be the labels of idiots, or is only those that express a sentiment which you hold in contempt?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:53 pm
Very few people have contempt for the idea of "supporting our troops." I very much support the troops, I have good friends who are troops in Iraq as we speak.

I don't think anyone has done their part to support by buying a stupid sticker, magnet or ribbon. I can still remember Fox news reporting how protesting the Iraq war was hurting our troops.

Show me how a stupid bumper sticker is showing support, and I'll trump it.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 05:25 pm
I'll bite.

I for one do think all bumper stickers are moronic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 06:11 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I take it you consider all bumper stickers to be the labels of idiots, or is only those that express a sentiment which you hold in contempt?

Let's just say that this particular bumper sticker is especially a label of an idiot.

I'll leave discussions of the "Starfleet Academy" bumper stickers for another thread.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:00 pm
When I was in highschool, I used to go out on the weekend with friends and draw on people's bumper stickers.

Our favorite one's were the famous...

"The power of pride" and "These colors don't run"

bumper stickers. We would take many colorful sharpies and turn the american flag into a rainbow. The joke becomes obvious. Since my younger and more juvenile days, I just find peace in knowing how useless the stickers are to begin with.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 03:01 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
Very few people have contempt for the idea of "supporting our troops." I very much support the troops, I have good friends who are troops in Iraq as we speak.

I don't think anyone has done their part to support by buying a stupid sticker, magnet or ribbon. I can still remember Fox news reporting how protesting the Iraq war was hurting our troops.

Show me how a stupid bumper sticker is showing support, and I'll trump it.

T
K
O

It certainly isn't much of a show of support, but it is one.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:49 pm
I like to look at things through the eyes of history, and sometimes I see things the current picture doesn't highlight.

For example, during Vietnam there was a draft. Citizen soldiers got drafted at 19, or after college. This might have not been the case around 1967, or so, when a draft lottery was the deciding factor as to who got drafted.

Regardless, citizen soldiers died, or were wounded, and bonuses were not part of the picture for these draftees. Somewhere around 55,000 military died in that war. I don't think a good part of the country really has had closure on that period in our history, since the am radio stations thoughout the country still play the music of the 1960's.

That's a tragedy, that our collective unconscious has really not had closure on Vietnam, and here we are in this situation in Iraq and Afghanistan that has current casualties.

What I think I'm trying to say is that when our military is a volunteer military, where there is a profit motive to reenlist, I don't think it reflects well on the country as a whole.

Let's be real. Could Israel have survived if they had a volunteer military?

So, the unpopular solution is going back to the draft.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:07 pm
A lot may not have happened if the draft was still in place.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
A lot may not have happened if the draft was still in place.

It would have likely ended the undocumented immigrant concerns by many people, since undocumented immigrants wouldn't come, unless they were willing to be drafted.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:04 pm
regaurdless, if someone is given a signing bonus, it should not be taken away for reasons of injury.

T
K
O
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:32 pm
Seriously, "Support Our Troops" is code for "Support Bush's War."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:47 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Seriously, "Support Our Troops" is code for "Support Bush's War."

Seriously, that is a cynical and partisan view.
0 Replies