I'm a sinner, I'm a saint, I do not feel ashamed....

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:27 pm
There is a song that says:

Quote:
I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way

So take me as I am
This may mean you'll have to be a stronger man
Rest assured that when I start to make you nervous
and I'm going to extremes
tomorrow I will change
and today won't mean a thing

And I was singing this song as I pondered trusting your gut.

I'm ususally good at reading people. My profession as a portrait photographer ensured that I developed the ability to read people in a very short time. I had to. I could have never done the job without that instinct.

But once in a while I come across someone who I can't read and it makes me absolutely crazy.

When your gut doesn't give you a yield what do you do? Stop? Go?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,228 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:30 pm
Slowly slowly flows the Don...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:30 pm
Boom, I am a snap guy. Been trained to read a crowd, and make decisions.

Gotta wait..... The gut is not wrong, just not well enough informed.....

Unless it's me, then don't worry about it, I'm Okay :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:33 pm
Er, I mean, I temper my bubbly and disclosing personality.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:34 pm
Hey, Rocky, we seem to be agreeing these days (you're so smart...)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:39 pm
Careful Osso. I dint come by the name by accident....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 08:57 pm
Ha. Speaking of gut trust.....

I think that so many of my gut relationships lasted just a few hours and all the sudden I'm faced with a more long term gut relationship and I'm a waffle.

This is very new to me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:41 am
Are we talking about affairs of the head or affairs of the heart?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:47 am
Is there a difference?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:29 am
I'm trying to think of a better way to describe this...

I think things like this come up at work with colleagues, or when being introduced to friends of your friends, or your kid's friend's parents, or your sister's thrird husband, or whatever -- someone you will run across on a regular basis but that you don't really have to befriend.

Once in a while I run across people who are "unreadable", people I can't quite get a handle on. Being around them is always kind of awkward but you can't altogether avoid them.

When your "gut" doesn't give you enough information do you err on the side of caution or not?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:38 am
I keep gathering more info.

I have a highly-trained gut -- that is, I rely much more on nonverbal communication than most. I "read" faces, and often have a hard time understanding people when what they are saying is not the same as what they are thinking. (I had a bad habit of misunderstanding the question "Can I kiss you?" [and guys always seemed to feel the need to ask, that's another subject I guess], because they had been THINKING it for quite a while, while saying other things, and I didn't trust that they were actually saying it this time and didn't want to misconstrue. At least one guy wrote it in the dirt. Heh.)

I usually go slowly though with long-term-type relationships... more slowly than I recommend. (Remember across-the-street neighbors in Naperville? We lived across from them for four years but we were only friends for the last two or so, and they turned out to be absolutely great people.) I like to be able to merely stop the progression if there seems to be a problem, rather than jumping in whole hog and then having to backtrack. Backtracking with people that you can reasonably expect to see whether you plan to or not is... unpleasant. But I'm way too busy to waste time with people I don't want to be spending time with.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:41 am
There are some people that drive T nuts. She has incredible amounts of empathy, but there are a few personality types that she can't read.

Have you done the Myers-Briggs? She says ESTPs stump her the most.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:44 am
sozobe wrote:
But I'm way too busy to waste time with people I don't want to be spending time with.

Yes!

Of course, some people call me stand-offish or a snob....

Really!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 12:03 pm
I'm inclined to move very, very slowly without a positive gut feeling.

Unfortunately, Mr. Noddy's radar has been completely short circuited and he's bringing home a lot of losers lately.

I just try to be sure that the losers aren't too expensive in terms of money and to soothe Mr. Noddy's ego after he finds he's been used--again.
0 Replies