Ow! My Eye!

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:57 pm
Once again, I scratched my cornea.

Yesterday, while cleaning up the basement after installing the new windows, I went to screw a hook into the beam above my head, and the drywall screw fell. Into my eye. blunt end first.
Yeah, it hurt. But after getting a little freaked, I decided that I was okay. That it would hurt less given some time.

Now, I have a long history of damaging my eyes.
Paint in the eye.
And then there was what I now call "the bad year". The year where I screwed up my eyes three times. One of those times was the wrong contact chemical in my eye, which resulted in scars to my cornea. That was the year, I started wearing glasses.
A piece of glitter in the eye.

The list goes on. Maybe it's my job, the type of work that I do. The paint and construction. The sanding and aging.

And it seems that if I'm not doing something to my eyes that takes me to the Emergency Eye Center, then I'm taking a co-worker instead.
(Luckily there is such a good Eye Center in town.)

I've had Lasik surgery. I no longer wear glasses. I do try to wear safety glasses at work when I know that I need them.

But so many times, like with the glitter, I'm at home. Doing something simple and it happens. Again. No one wears eye protection all the time.

I get almost a premonition at this point that I'm about to screw up an eyeball. I guess I need to start listening to that fear.

So last night, I go to bed at midnight, my eye hurts, but it has to feel better in the morning, right?
No, I wake at 2:30 am. And it really HURTS. I look in the mirror, my eye is swollen and red. Watering endlessly. I shower, I mess around on the internet. I debate.
I haul my ass down the Emergency room at 4 am.

They tell me that I have a large scratch on my cornea.

Is there anyone else out there like me?
Why am I always doing this?

Please tell me your stories.
Eye pain sucks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,388 • Replies: 18
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 01:58 pm
What in the hell did you just say?
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:08 pm
<sigh>
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:10 pm
Your understanding and sympathy overwhelm me, gus.

I feel so much better now.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:11 pm
I can't be there for everyone, caribou. Have you ever heard of the term "over-extended?

Welcome to my life.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:13 pm
I can see (ow!) how you would find yourself abit overextended today.

You have been a very busy swamp man.

Just watch where you point that pitchfork, I only have one good eye!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:30 pm
Caribou--

You have my sympathy. I've been dealing with a stye this week and feeling that Life is Most Unfair.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 02:34 pm
I hope you are okay, Caribou. I have been to emergency rooms at least 5 times for stitches after careless injuries (none were eye injuries). One of my sons also gets injured a lot (but he plays a lot of sports).
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:02 pm
They say I'll be fine. I'll believe them when my eye feels better.

Noddy, I've never had a sty. But I can agree with feeling that Life Is Most Unfair. Hold your Dominion.

Having so many eye injuries in one lifetime makes me feel like an idiot.
It's not like I walk around all wide-eyed or anything.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:06 pm
Caribou, the surface of my eyeballs looks similar to that of the moon. I have a rust ring, and multiple craters. Keep it closed and medicated, and you will be better soon.

(Safety glasses are our friends Cool )
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 03:32 pm
It hurts when I keep it closed!
I don't get it. It's supposed to be healing faster, but it ends up making my eye hurt more! Thus, the whole waking at 2:30 am and going to get it looked at. It was WORSE after sleeping 2.5 hours!
Then, when I got home and before the lovely numbing drops wore off, I went to sleep. I got about 4 hours of sleep, but when I got up, my eye HURT!

I don't mean to be whiney, but anyone who's had eye pain knows, this is the time to whine!

I'm going to a movie premiere tonight (no, there won't be a red carpet. This is Baltimore, not Hollywood!). I know I need some sleep, I should nap, but I don't want my eye to hurt.

I think I'm going to be early tonight and hope tomorrow is a better day.

(But you can't wear safety glasses 24/7)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:47 pm
<nods>
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:14 am
I don't have a re-occurring problem with my eye, but I did scratch my cornea pretty badly too. I had an almost similar situation - not sure how it happened other than I had been helping my lame former boyfriend help clean out his parents' house when they sold it (they were in Europe and I did more work cleaning the damn place than their daughters- but that's another story). They had so much crap - pack rats so I suspect that some dust and other stuff got in my eye.

That night I awoke with my eye hurting - I proceeded to rub it (worse thing to do of course) as it felt like there was a piece of glass scratching my eye. In the morning it still hurt and I couldn't get whatever was in my eye out - my boyfriend went to the drug store and got me some eye wash - nothing would take it out.

I went to the doctor where they told me nothing was in my eye, but I had scratched my cornea. I was panicked as it sounded horrible. The doctor didn't say anything further so I timidly asked will it get better - the doctor said of course it is the fastest healing part of the body. I had a follow up visit with him the next day, but my scratch got worse so they sent to me to Mass Eye and Ear - where they said the doctor simply hadn't patched my eye up well. In a few days it was fine - but those few days were horrible as you probably are experiencing it hurt like h*ll and I couldn't read as it hurt to read or watch TV. The postive it does go away pretty quickly though.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:16 am
My eye feels a little better today.
I got lots of sleep!
But my eye was red and swollen again this morning, but without as much pain.

Yeah!

To anyone coming to this thread for any advice in the future....
If you hurt your eye, go to an Ophthalmologist.
They are the only ones that can properly treat your eyes.
Some cities may have an eye emergency center. Go there.
Find out where such a place is before you need it.

If, you go to a regular emergency room to get treated, get a follow up appointment as soon as possible at a Ophthalmologist.

Someone needs to look at your eyes with one of these:
http://z.about.com/d/vision/1/0/W/-/-/-/slit_lamp_adam.jpg
It's the only way to see what damage has been done or if there is still something in your eye.

Eyes do heal fast.
Which is why you'd want to make sure your eye isn't healing over some foreign body.

My Mother said she's buying me safety glasses for Christmas.
She suggested that I DO wear them all day long.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 11:20 am
caribou wrote:
If you hurt your eye, go to an Ophthalmologist.
They are the only ones that can properly treat your eyes.
Some cities may have an eye emergency center. Go there.
Find out where such a place is before you need it.

If, you go to a regular emergency room to get treated, get a follow up appointment as soon as possible at a Ophthalmologist.

I agree completely - I saw a regular on-call doctor and they didn't handle it right causing more of a problem (scratch actually got worse). When I went to the Ear and Eye hospital they handle it appropriately and after that for follow up visits I saw an ophthalmologist.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:01 pm
Yep, I have scars on my cornea from going to a regular emergency room.

All they did at the emergency room was rinse out my eye.

Never looked at my eye with the split light machiney thing.
Never gave me antibotic.
Never suggested having a follow up with an Ophthalmologist.

I saw my Ophthalmologist three days later, just cause I thought maybe I should. Boy, did she yell at me.
Lesson learned.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
One of the side benefits of wearing eyeglasses is that occasionally they save you from something like what happened to you.

Also, I learned long ago that if you are working on something over your head that you should always wear safety glasses. Screwdrivers, screws, pocket knives, ceiling tiles, etc. are just waiting for the chance to make a bullseye.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 01:38 pm
That's true. They have a will of their own, a force beyond the call of gravity...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 02:24 pm
Caribou--

Listen to your mother.
0 Replies