Tell Me About Roman Women

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:20 pm
My 8 year old daughter has to do some research about Roman women (in other words, I have to do some research) for her school project.

Can anybody tell me some interesting facts / information about them and what life was like for them?

Many thanks

Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,577 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
I'm rather sure that your daughter doesn't have to learn something about today's dolce vita but the situation in ancient Rome :wink:

Since you've to do the homework - have a look at the "Women in ancient Rome" website or at FEMINAE ROMANAE or perhaps just at this project site
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:36 pm
danke schon Walter
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
'pleasure.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:47 pm
Were Roman women easy, Walter? I don't recall. I was a teenager then and drinking heavily. I do remember flurries of discarded togas that filled the skies like wayward kites.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
(I've never understood giving homework that parents have to do...)
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:01 pm
No I don't understand it either, especially when it's maths.

Confused
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:05 pm
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/explanation.gif
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:07 pm
maths used to make me cry

Sad
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:46 am
It also depends if she has to learn about the rich and wealthy or the commoners (or perhaps the slaves). In all probability, the first. Which, in all probability, without even checking, is exactly what Walter has provided information for.
You are the one reason it is bearable for me to see the dutchies loose to you germans in soccer, Mr. Hinteler Razz
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:48 am
najmelliw wrote:

You are the one reason it is bearable for me to see the dutchies loose to you germans in soccer, Mr. Hinteler Razz

Don't start a new football war! :wink:
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
Bloody hell how have you managed to turn this into a football thing?

Men.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 01:58 pm
http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/vm2006/vmgermany.gif
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 02:02 pm
wait, DP, the teacher said YOU have to do the research? Or are you just doing it instead of your daughter?

I think a good course of action would be to bring her to the local library, show her how to look for books, or show her how to search for information online... if you do it instead of her, she won't learn anything. Perhaps I misunderstand the assignment?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 02:06 pm
You shouldn't be doing her homework.... how does roman women research relate to math?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
I figure that behind this assignment was a hope that the child would go to the library (we used to have one in our grammar school) or look up the subject in an encyclopedia or, having been shown the basics of computer research in school or at home, look it up at a school computer or home. Perhaps the local library has a children's computer section? Or the librarian can help her find a book?

I'm actually reading a book that will give a lot of info about women in early Rome, but a) I just started it, and b) it will probably have much more info than may be appropriate for her age, and hard to digest for a short report. Will let you know after I finish it six months from now...
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:49 am
dagmaraka wrote:
wait, DP, the teacher said YOU have to do the research? Or are you just doing it instead of your daughter?

I think a good course of action would be to bring her to the local library, show her how to look for books, or show her how to search for information online... if you do it instead of her, she won't learn anything. Perhaps I misunderstand the assignment?

No, she's supposed to be doing it but at 8 years old she lacks the research "skill" need to come up with the kind of information the teacher requires, although I am trying to show her how to go about it.

I must confess the first thing I said to her was "lets ask on A2K!"

Laughing
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:52 am
littlek wrote:
You shouldn't be doing her homework.... how does roman women research relate to math?

I know but some of it is just too hard for her to do without help (parents are expected to help sometimes).

Can't remember how we got onto the maths subject. Oh yeah, sometimes her maths homework has me frowning, I was never any good at it.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:53 am
Oh yes we will be taking a trip to the library one eve this week to check out the books on the subject too.

Smile
0 Replies