You realize this is going to happen.

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:44 pm
Part of the script of House M.D:

Vogler: It's the same motion as yesterday, people, same reasons. All those in favor of dismissing Gregory House raise a hand.
[Everyone raises a hand except Cuddy.]
Dr. Cuddy, you realize this is going to happen.

Cuddy: I can't do it.

Vogler: You can't abstain.

Cuddy: I'm not abstaining, I'm voting no.

Vogler: You've changed your mind since yesterday? What did he do, buy you dinner and roses? Threaten to drown your dog?

Cuddy: He did his job.
-------------------------------
Question:
What does this refer to in the above dialogue? ("the voting"? but then the tense should be a problem, I guess)

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 514 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:23 pm
We did not see the program. Do you know what "context" means?
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:33 pm
So can my poor question be expecting a good answer? :wink:

(Just kidding, forget about it. I figure now without knowing the episode, one can not grasp the meaning of that dialogue. Thank you anyway!)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:35 pm
"This" refers to dismissing House. (I saw the program, but I don't remember this scene.)
0 Replies

bluestblue

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:48 pm
Roberta wrote:
"This" refers to dismissing House. (I saw the program, but I don't remember this scene.)

I understand it this way now:

Vogler: Dr. Cuddy, you realize this is going to happen. = You comprehend the fact of dismissing House is going to happen. (But you're behaving unreasonably.)

Cuddy: I can't do it. = I can't vote yes to dismiss him.

Vogler: You can't abstain.

Thank you Roberta, very much, for this help.
0 Replies

susiedqq

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 02:44 pm
"This" refers to the passing of the motion (the votes are there, even if Mr. Cuddy abstains) to get rid of House.

The emphasis placed by the actor probably was "You know, this IS going to happen."

(By the way, any Roberts Rules follower would have chastised the person who talked to Dr. Cuddy during the vote. Voters don't have to explain reasons for voting OR the reason for the abstention. Cuddy should have voted NO, if he did not want to see the motion pass. The vote could have been declared null and void by the Chairman, due to the interference of the voting process.)
0 Replies