Rudy Giuliani's ties to Fox News

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
Quote:
You should have said "it were Jews." Is your writing an indication of the quality of your thought?

that "tiny" grammatical error is starting to bother me more and more. after all, grammar is everything.

so i used google, which is no arbiter of grammar, but i wanted to see how the world phrases things, just to make sure it wasn't ("weren't?") just me. here are two examples:

"it was democrats" 15,600 vs. 5,980 "it were democrats"
"it was republicans" 16,000 vs. 6,990 "it were republicans"

is it possible that you made a mistake, a bit like quayle's "potatoe" or have i misunderestimated something?

although it's been a long time since presidents were bastions of educated speaking, my faux pas seems to be on par with herbert hoover, as quoted in the 1939 article, titled "it was republicans. . . ."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760744,00.html
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:17 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:
You should have said "it were Jews." Is your writing an indication of the quality of your thought?

that "tiny" grammatical error is starting to bother me more and more. after all, grammar is everything.

so i used google, which is no arbiter of grammar, but i wanted to see how the world phrases things, just to make sure it wasn't ("weren't?") just me. here are two examples:

"it was democrats" 15,600 vs. 5,980 "it were democrats"
"it was republicans" 16,000 vs. 6,990 "it were republicans"

is it possible that you made a mistake, a bit like quayle's "potatoe" or have i misunderestimated something?

although it's been a long time since presidents were bastions of educated speaking, my faux pas seems to be on par with herbert hoover, as quoted in the 1939 article, titled "it was republicans. . . ."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,760744,00.html

Well, you should have capitalized the "j" in Jews. That's an error if you wanted to be correct; if you did it on purpose, it was then offensive, regardless of whether or not that was your intent.

I think "was" was correct, since two-thousand years of anti-Semitism likely always scapegoated Jews with, "It was the Jews!"
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 09:35 pm
well, i don't capitalize "i" or "god" or "christians" or "tinygiraffe" or "foofie" or "jesus" or "buddha" or "democrats" or "bush" or "able2know" or "united states" or "china" so it seems like i would be going out of my way to capitalize "jews" just to avoid the patently ridiculous claim that it was due to anti-semitism.

occasionally a script capitalizes something for me, so occasionally you might see another poster's capitals come through. ancient hebrew didn't have capital letters, so this is a relatively new convention, but i would invariably capitalize "jews" if i capitalized anything else in the same text. actually if someone else uses the word "jew" in all lower case, i immediately check the text around it out of curiousity.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:44 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
well, i don't capitalize "i" or "god" or "christians" or "tinygiraffe" or "foofie" or "jesus" or "buddha" or "democrats" or "bush" or "able2know" or "united states" or "china" so it seems like i would be going out of my way to capitalize "jews" just to avoid the patently ridiculous claim that it was due to anti-semitism.

occasionally a script capitalizes something for me, so occasionally you might see another poster's capitals come through. ancient hebrew didn't have capital letters, so this is a relatively new convention, but i would invariably capitalize "jews" if i capitalized anything else in the same text. actually if someone else uses the word "jew" in all lower case, i immediately check the text around it out of curiousity.

Didn't you just say "that "tiny" grammatical error is starting to bother me more and more. after all, grammar is everything. "?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:15 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Quote:
These days, sarcasm can be difficult to grasp in written form. To prevent this some people emphasize words with italics, bold, capitalization, and/or underlining (e.g. that's just great); sarcastic comments on the Internet with an emoticon, such as ^o); or surround them with a made-up markup language tag, e.g. *sarcasm*, <sarcasm> or <snicker>.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:48 am
tinygiraffe wrote:

I'm not saying that not capitalizing 'j" in Jews is anti-Semitic. I'm saying that regardless of your not being anti-Semitic, a lower case "j" in Jews is offensive to many people, including those Christians that read the Bible.

I capitalize everything that should be capitalized, since I don't want to be thought of as posing as another e.e. cummings.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:18 am
Foofie wrote
Quote:
a lower case "j" in Jews is offensive to many people, including those Christians that read the Bible.

Even assuming your use of 'many' above reflects any sort of reality (I don't think I know a single jewish person who might insist on it), why ought this to concern us? It would be a version of 'political correctness', surely.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
But...back to the topic.

Yesterday or the day previous, Rudy was questioned regarding his long personal friendship with Ailes. He acknowledged that long friendship and claimed that Fox granted him no special favors in its coverage and all people had to do to verify that was to watch Fox.

Of course, many of us do watch Fox and realize that in this statement Rudy is uninformed or just trying to bluff his way through with a lie. The first option suffers the credibility test rather badly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:07 am
blatham wrote:
Foofie wrote
Quote:
a lower case "j" in Jews is offensive to many people, including those Christians that read the Bible.

Even assuming your use of 'many' above reflects any sort of reality (I don't think I know a single jewish person who might insist on it), why ought this to concern us? It would be a version of 'political correctness', surely.

I then just think it would be nice to be "politically correct" with Jews, since Jews (like everyone else in society) are asked to be "politically correct" when addressing women, Blacks, gays, Asians, "small people," "mentally challenged people," and a host of others that might get very upset when someone uses a moniker that was used historically and today is considered pejorative.

You surely must have a persona that identifies with some "group," and you would like others to be politically correct with that group?

Assuming you once attended kindergarten, didn't the teacher admonish, "Play nice children!"?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:21 am
Quote:
I then just think it would be nice to be "politically correct" with Jews, since Jews (like everyone else in society) are asked to be "politically correct" when addressing women, Blacks, gays, Asians, "small people," "mentally challenged people," and a host of others that might get very upset when someone uses a moniker that was used historically and today is considered pejorative.

You surely must have a persona that identifies with some "group," and you would like others to be politically correct with that group?

Assuming you once attended kindergarten, didn't the teacher admonish, "Play nice children!"?

Well, you seem to be quite content walking in the land of paternalism writ large. One must never criticize one's leaders, you've previously declared, and that makes some sense where one considers citizens to be merely children.

Would it be an equaly unacceptable offence, in your view of things, for some to state that the muslim faith is a false faith or that it is a destructive faith or that it is a violent faith?

Or perhaps such statements would be ok to make, perhaps because a person finds them accurate or truthful. But if so, if such statements would be offensive as you initially meant that term whereas to write muslim without capitalizing the first letter would be offensive?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 10:47 am
Foofie wrote:
I capitalize everything that should be capitalized, since I don't want to be thought of as posing as another e.e. cummings.

Good one! Laughing
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 04:03 pm
i thought so too, actually Smile
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 05:51 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

Well, you seem to be quite content walking in the land of paternalism writ large. One must never criticize one's leaders, you've previously declared, and that makes some sense where one considers citizens to be merely children.

Would it be an equaly unacceptable offence, in your view of things, for some to state that the muslim faith is a false faith or that it is a destructive faith or that it is a violent faith?

Or perhaps such statements would be ok to make, perhaps because a person finds them accurate or truthful. But if so, if such statements would be offensive as you initially meant that term whereas to write muslim without capitalizing the first letter would be offensive?

Why would I want to comment about any faith? It is really none of my business. I don't think you are instigating. So, you shouldn't ask me for opinions that are none of my business?

Why can't you make a declarative statement, rather than attempt to use me to prove some point? Do you enjoy repartee? I don't.
0 Replies