Working for b*tth*les

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:51 am
Im being verbally abused at work by 2 bosses.I have been in floods of tears many times.I am being blamed for their incompetence.

Do I have any legal standing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 32
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:34 am
mg, sorry to hear.

does your company have a human resources dept where you could file a formal complaint against them?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
No HR, the closest thing we have is a lady boss who doesnt live in the country but was here last week when it all kicked off.

While I was crying my eyes out she said 'dont worry about it, he's under the thumb'.

As you can imagine it was like a weight being lifted(please note the sarcasm).

Il be looking for a new job.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:34 am
MG--

Your world is not an easy place to live this month.

What does "under the thumb" mean?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
Noddy24 wrote:

When a man gets married and his wife always tells him what to do there is an imaginary thumb that she pushes down on his head with, leaving an imaginary thumb print, hence under the thumb.

Due to my apparent incompetance one of my bosses had to do some work missing a social event he and his wife were going too.I can only assume she shouted at him so he shouted at me.

Ive just thought, If im so cr*p, why havnt they fired me?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:24 am
Ive just written out 10 pages worth of angry scribble addressing certain issues.
I recomend it, very therauputic.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:27 am
mg,

sounds like you might as well goof off, surf the net, make a ton of personal calls, long lunches, ect.... do anything you like -- except work!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:59 am
As they say, **** rolls down hill. He's taking ****, and he's giving it to you. Because he can. I think you're probably too pissed off right now to find humor in the situation, but I think that's what you need until you can find another job. Detach yourself by realizing it's not about you, it's about him trying to cover up his own failings. Then see if he resembles any kind of an animal while he's railing on. Let's say that animal is a monkey. While he's going on and on, it looks to you like the monkey is eating his own poo. You get the idea.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:04 pm
material girl wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

When a man gets married and his wife always tells him what to do there is an imaginary thumb that she pushes down on his head with, leaving an imaginary thumb print, hence under the thumb.

Due to my apparent incompetance one of my bosses had to do some work missing a social event he and his wife were going too.I can only assume she shouted at him so he shouted at me.

Ive just thought, If im so cr*p, why havnt they fired me?

oh, under the slipper.

sorry to hear that. my co-worker dd write a five page letter to my boss, and gave it to him. since she wants to leave anyway, she had nothing to loose and it made her feel immensely better. she said things to him i wouldn't even dream of! and it will hopefully help the rest of us in the long run, too. maybe you can do something similar? once you place a few ads or something...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:12 pm
Well, I'd wait until after she gets the next job, and even then, don't think I'd do it.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:25 pm
Yeah, I agree with osso. Write it but don't send it. Things have a way of coming back at you. Plus, you don't want to lower yourself to his level. Tell yourself he is an unenlightened human being and you are not taking on his stuff.

Realize, as someone already said, that it's not about you. But you do have a choice as to how to respond. You are not worthy of his shite so is there any way you can tell him that, in a non-accusatory way? Self-assertion is vital.

Could you say, "I don't deserve to be spoken to that way. Please don't do it again." or some such thing?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:13 pm
Quote:
Could you say, "I don't deserve to be spoken to that way. Please don't do it again." or some such thing?

Or you could say, "If I wanted to hear from an a$$hole, I'd fart." Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:30 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:

Laughing was that said 'tongue-in-cheek'? Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:41 pm
You don't have to fix these people - what you need to retain is your own dignity. Not that you can't cry, but that sort of feeds into it.

Best you be looking for another job, as you've said you'd do (you are getting braver now, aren't you, girl?) and you do have a presumptive reference from the higher up boss - though I'd mention not wanting to alert present employers at this time, if possible.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:46 pm
Sorry for what you are having to go through material girl. When I worked and someone yelled at me I just ignored them. I didn't look at them or even respond. I let it go in one ear and out the other. I would respond only if asked a question. My response was never mean or sarcastic. I don't know if that would help you.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:45 pm
Yes, NEW JOB!!! that would be *so* good for you, I really, really hope you go for it! I had no idea that not only is your job not particularly interesting, but that you're also working for people who treat you badly...that's just awful, and it's so exactly NOT what you need when you're having health issues and feeling down anyway. You've just got to get into a better work environment, you'll feel so much better... good luck! Start looking right now, while you're still fired up from these latest incidents, eh?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:51 pm
She's been dealing with these clods a long time. Time for a move that is good for Material Girl.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 04:02 am
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:

hehheehe, love it.

I do realise it is about them and Im the only person they can lay into.
I have had nasty comments from a number of people and managed to let things slide but this is like Im a sitting duck.

My boss will say something like 'this is black'...then in the same sentance ' its white'.

I did some work this morning(the little i have)My boss came in and said can I do the work Ive already done(fair enough he didnt know I dealt with it) but I assertively said 'Ive done it' and he says 'you dont have to snap my head off!' I didnt shout, but he is deaf so I have to say things firmly 'and I responded 'i was answering your question'.

Im amazed at how calmly he talks to my other colleagues, like they can do no wrong, theres alot of work that hasnt been dealt with that other colleagues are responsible for but its down to me to find out why.

Ive also worked out that they need me more than I need them.
I can get another job but where are they gona find someone to work in this sh*thole.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:42 am
Material Girl--

After you get your health orgainized, your resolution for the New Year is a New Job--one in which you are treated with dignity.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 04:06 am
I have a letter of resignation in my bag to hand in to my boss today.
0 Replies