Don't do that you'll look stupid.

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
ok..I didn't really know where to post this, so what the hey....

This is about.....

Men's......

haircoloring.....

Rolling Eyes

My Wally is not a vain man, he pretty much does everything to please himself....unless that contraindicated by pleasing me.

A couple of years ago, when he went to Illinois to visit family, and came back with some photos. He said "Look how my moustache looks so gray, you can't even see it on my face. Maybe I should put some of that "Just for Men" on it.

I flippantly said, while walking past him, "Don't do that you'll look stupid"

I figured he took me at my word, and that was that.

Well, he went off to Illinois again, came back with more photos....but this time also had a box of "Just for Men" that he bought at a drug store up there. He hasn't used it yet (thank god)
It's this medium brown color.

Wally hair on his head is like a gun metal gray...I'm trying to convince him that the brown will stand out badly.

He's telling me..."well I have to use this because it works on MEN's hair."

I said "That's what they want you to believe....they sell this stuff and men buy it because if they bought the good stuff women buy they'd feel all gay and everything." That's the last thing he's worried about.

I looked at the colors on the Feria website (the brand I use) and saw some colors that were very ashy....not blonde....but almost brown...almost taupy, if you know what I mean.

I just called him and told him I was going to pick up 5 or more colors for him to look over, I can always return the others. One thing I read about coarse gray hair is that if there is ANY hint of red at all in the hair coloring...that'll be what sticks....I told him that and that alarmed him.

Fortunatley, we're both experienced colorists after doing my hair for so long, as far as application technique.

Thank God it's a moustache, which he can just shave off.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any guys out there color their hair?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 18,021 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mac11

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:38 pm
Can you cut a little of his moustache hair to experiment with?

(I agree that medium brown will look stupid.)
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:49 pm
Well, I was toying with the idea of coloring my 'stache and/or beard, but
never did it. The weird thing was, I was going to color it all grey.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:02 pm
yeah...that's a good idea mac.

after Wally realized "yeah...men's hair, women's hair...no difference" he didn't actually say...."well then there's dozens of colors to chose from."

it's really stupid that this JFM product has basically 4 colors - black, 3 shades of brown, 2 shades of blonde...no wonder it looks dumb.

Unfortuanatley, I color my hair with a nod to flamboyant...it's been only recently I've gone for Auburn to auburn-brown.

And Wally is not Mr. Subtle.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:14 pm
Mr Wolf colors his mustache.

he uses a color 2 shades lighter then his natural hair and it sticks well to the grey.
You cant tell he does it at all..
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:42 pm
http://www.hennabycynthia.homestead.com/files/hair3.jpg

Chai,

Can you ask them to vote based on the above color chart?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:49 pm
Strawberry blonde would do it for me.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:53 pm
So.... He goes to see his family and comes back all insecure?

Sounds like my family, except they like to talk about how fat people look.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:20 pm
I saw this guy at the gym the other day who colored his beard dark brown. It looked awful, I thought it was a fake beard actually but then I thought who would wear a fake beard while working out?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:23 pm
Wally was down at the bar last night for the Elk Club meeting and I thought he looked quite dashing in his freshly-pressed uniform. But after a few drinks he started to complain to me about the gray flecks in his moustache and his possible experimentation with coloring. (He mentioned your disapproval, Chai, and seemed genuinely hurt and confused by your reaction)

Anyway, I told Wally I thought he was crazy and I also said, "Hell, Wally, look at my beard and moustache. They're shock white and don't look too bad."

Wally said, "Gus, looking at your beard and moustache is the EXACT reason I want to color mine. No hard feelings, Gus, but I am just not ready to look like an old coot."

I was momentarily set back by his statement and stroked my beard in a pensive manner. Soon his cruel words drifted away from my memory like smoke and I returned to the manner at hand.

"Wally, I am going to place a photo of you on the wall here so the rest of the Elks can examine it during the course of the week. I will place the questions below it in bold type and they shall read: Does Wally's moustache look gray? Should he color it?

Then I will place a cardboard box with a little slot cut in the top for the votes to go, and put a bunch of pieces of paper in a dish alongside. On the paper they can cast their votes; YES, moustache is gray--color it! or YES, moustache is gray, but leave it alone or NO, I see no discernible signs of gray -- leave it alone.

After the votes have been cast, Wally, we will tally them and the majority shall rule. Can you live with the decision of the Elks?

Wally muttered something barely audible, but I think it was, "Sure, Gus, the Elks have been more understanding regarding this issue than Chai has."

I said, "What did you say, Wally?"

"Oh, nothing, Gus. Your idea sounds good. Take the picture and put it on the wall."

I grabbed my camera and told Wally to give me his best profile and I took the shot...

http://cascolytravel.com/images/burnside.jpg

Sometime next week I will return with the final vote and we can put this matter to rest.

Glad I could help, Chai.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:56 pm
Thanks gus, you saved our marriage....again.

Stopped by Walgreens and bought several colors, but none were right.

I was telling him "your hair is actually not brown at all where it's darkest in the back....it's a charcoal grey. It was frustrating because he couldn't see what I was talking about. It's hard to judge when you have to look in the mirror

Then I looked up and realized that Jezebel the cat is the same colors and Wallys head, ranging from that dark grey to light and lighter, with flecks of silver.

So we held the boxes up to her, and realized we were on the wrong track anyway.

But then, disgusted with the whole affair, I went up and smootched him about a dozen times, telling him how handsome he was, and that I thought his moustache looked wonderful.

He fell for it.

Glad that's over.

(really though, I do think he looks good)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:52 pm
Mr. Joe was asked if he'd like a "rinse" one time a few years back.

"Sure" he replied, thinking they meant creme rinse.

Laughing
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:12 pm
Chai wrote:
Thanks gus, you saved our marriage....again.

Stopped by Walgreens and bought several colors, but none were right.

I was telling him "your hair is actually not brown at all where it's darkest in the back....it's a charcoal grey. It was frustrating because he couldn't see what I was talking about. It's hard to judge when you have to look in the mirror

Then I looked up and realized that Jezebel the cat is the same colors and Wallys head, ranging from that dark grey to light and lighter, with flecks of silver.

So we held the boxes up to her, and realized we were on the wrong track anyway.

But then, disgusted with the whole affair, I went up and smootched him about a dozen times, telling him how handsome he was, and that I thought his moustache looked wonderful.

He fell for it.

Glad that's over.

(really though, I do think he looks good)

Well done chai. :wink: Sounds like that's all he needed!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 04:52 pm
@Chai,
Chai wrote:
Don't do that you'll look stupid.

http://www.cyranos.ch/splaurel.jpg
0 Replies