UK Earthquake?

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:19 am
Did anyone hear about this at the time?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Middlesbrough Earthquake

A major earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale hit Middlesbrough in the early hours of Friday 20th June 2003. The epicentre was Whinney Banks.

Casualties were seen wandering aimlessly saying "bang out of order", "mental" and "that did my head in". The earthquake decimated the area causing in excess of #17.55 worth of damage. Several priceless collections of momentos from Ibiza and Corfu were damaged beyond repair. Three preserved areas of historic burnt out cars were disturbed. Many locals were woken well before their giros arrived. The Gazette reported that hundreds of residents were confused and bewildered. They are still trying to come to terms with the fact that the damage and destruction was caused by something else instead of them. One resident ? Tracey Sharon Smith, a 15 year old mother of four said "it was such a shock, little Chardonnay-Leigh came running through the cardboard door into my bedroom crying. My youngest two, Tyler-Brooklyn and Kai-Keanu slept through it all. My hands were shaking so much I could hardly shoot up when I was watching Trisha the next morning. Another local resident known as 'Mally' said that the earthquake would not stop him going to work, after all, the T.W.O.C'ing, burglaries and graffiti would not do themselves.

The British Red Cross has so far managed to ship 4,000 crates of Sunny Delight to the area to help with the crisis. Rescue workers are still searching through the rubble and have found large quantities of personal belongings, which include benefit books, jewellery from Elizabeth Dukes, Bone China from Poundstretcher and a number of Argos catalogues. However they were unable to save any furniture from Crazy Georges.

How can you help?

This appeal hopes to raise money for food and clothing parcels for those unfortunate enough to be caught up in the disaster. Clothing is most sought after. Most needed are Kappa or other tracksuits (his and hers), white socks to tuck the tracksuit bottoms into, Burberry caps, woolly 'Benny' hats and Reebok trainers. Primark clothing is most welcome. Food parcels are also needed. They should include McCains Micro-chips, Aldi beans,Monster Munch crisps, Nuttella chocolate spread and Iceland pizzas. Alcohol is also in short supply, mainly Lambrini, White Lightning cider and Carlsberg Special Brew. Cash donations are also needed, 22p buys a Bic Biro for signing on purposes, #1.50 buys cheese and chips and #26 buys 200 Regal from 'Tommo' who has just got back from Kavos.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,324 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:23 am
As a matter of fact, I didn't, and I thought I was reasonably current on the news. I would expect a 7.8 quake to be well reported, even if it were in Anarctica.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:27 am
I was genuinely surprised when I started reading the article the first time, but realisation dawned after a couple of lines...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:32 am
It is a pretty sad commentary isn't it ?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:46 am
I think that the reason it's sad is because most of it is true! I especially liked the parts about Sunny Delight and Elizabeth Duke jewellery.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:47 am
What is Sunny Delight ?
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:03 am
Sunny Delight is the work of the Devil. That is to say, it is a (loosely) fruit drink in a variety of neon flavours.

It became famous when someone noticed that the 4th or 5th ingredient on the list (after water, sugar, more sugar and oranges) was VEGETABLE OIL! This has the effect of thickening the juice without the cost of actually just putting more oranges into it.

It's been on the market in Britain for a few years now - haven't you seen the cheesy American-style (apologies) adverts with healthy tanned kids in the garden of the suburban semi?

I recommend you buy a small bottle (it should be in any supermarket, even Down South), try a mouthful for research purposes then ditch the rest. If you have any jewellery that needs a clean-up then Sunny D does a good job!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:12 am
Tanned kids in UK ? Laughing

My curiosity has been aroused.....will check out my friendly neighbourhood Waitrose when I come back.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 09:21 am
I suspect that they're not really British. I think the advert is one of those one-size-fits-all Euro-adverts, orignally recorded in German or Italian then dubbed into English, French, Spanish etc to save on production costs. There are a whole load of adverts for cosmetics & feminine products on UK telly which are like this. Sods.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
In the US its called "Sunny D ( yo?)." Confused
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 02:53 am
I saw another advert last night and it is indeed now called Sunny D here as well. It definately was Sunny Delight when first released though.
0 Replies