correct choice

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:09 am
My parents understand a little English, ___ they cannot speak it very well.

A) so
B) nor
C) or
D) and
E) but

I think (A) is the correct answer. Am I wrong?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 535 • Replies: 18
No top replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:14 am
"but" seem the best choice there.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:19 am
Re: correct choice
Yoong Liat wrote:

A) so
B) nor
C) or
D) and
E) but

My parents understand little English, so they cannot speak it very well.

My parents understand a little English, but they cannot speak it very well.

Do you understand the difference in these two examples?

(I realise the first one is a bit illogical; I gave it as a grammar example only)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:19 pm
Re: correct choice
Yoong Liat wrote:

A) so
B) nor
C) or
D) and
E) but

I think (A) is the correct answer. Am I wrong?

Many thanks.

McTag has got it. If I may be so bold as to offer a small addition.

If there was no 'a', YL, then 'so' would work.

0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:10 pm
"So" and "but" in this kind of a context, imply that the second part of the sentence is in some sense a consequence of the first part of the sentence. If you can consider sentences as having a positive or negative connotation, "so" would be used when both halves were positive or both negative, and "but" would be used when the two parts had different signs. To an English speaker, "My parents understand a little English" reads as kind of a mild positive, and "so" then would imply a mild positive in its turn, something like "so they can speak it a little". "But" on the other hand, implies that the consequence is going to be not a mild positive but rather a negative, and "they can't speak it very well" has a negative denotation, so it would take the "but". If you said something like "My parents only understand a little English", which emphasizes a lack rather than some fluency, you'd be more likely to say "so they can't speak it very well."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:18 pm
username wrote:
"So" and "but" in this kind of a context, imply that the second part of the sentence is in some sense a consequence of the first part of the sentence. If you can consider sentences as having a positive or negative connotation, "so" would be used when both halves were positive or both negative, and "but" would be used when the two parts had different signs. To an English speaker, "My parents understand a little English" reads as kind of a mild positive, and "so" then would imply a mild positive in its turn, something like "so they can speak it a little". "But" on the other hand, implies that the consequence is going to be not a mild positive but rather a negative, and "they can't speak it very well" has a negative denotation, so it would take the "but". If you said something like "My parents only understand a little English", which emphasizes a lack rather than some fluency, you'd be more likely to say "so they can't speak it very well."

Now there's a sensible and a half description of language.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:07 pm
Thanks, guys, for the explanation.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:56 am
JTT wrote:
username wrote:

Except "...only understand a little.." is wrong.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:24 am
Well, I'm pretty sure it's not "only understand a few English".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 09:03 am
McTag wrote:
JTT wrote:
username wrote:

"My parents only understand a little English".

I don't see what's wrong with it, McTag.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:21 am
Hi guys

I've a feeling my choice of 'so' is not wrong because of the discussion going on.

My parents understand a little English, so they cannot speak it very well.

I hope to hear from other members.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:35 am
Without getting into complicated explanations, if the sentence you're going with includes the "a", as in "a little English", I would go with "but"... and actually, you don't need the comma (heh heh)...because it is one statement...

My parents understand a little English but they cannot speak it very well.

My parents understand little English so they cannot speak it very well.

My 2 cents' worth.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:00 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi guys

I've a feeling my choice of 'so' is not wrong because of the discussion going on.

Many thanks.

Yes, it's certainly possible, YL.

My parents understand a little English, [so] with the result that they cannot speak it very well.

But wasn't the issue which was the most appropriate/natural given 4 or 5 choices?

As I think I mentioned in the other thread, if you took out the 'a',

then a 'so' would be perfectly natural.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 11:56 am
JTT wrote:
McTag wrote:
JTT wrote:
username wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with it, McTag.

I'm splitting hairs, but since we are trying to be exact and correct....

"only" modifies "a little" and not "understands", and so the purist (that's me) would prefer it placed elsewhere. Word order, that's all.

John only goes to the ice rink (he doesn't go inside it)

John goes only to the ice rink (he doesn't like the cinema)

Embarrassed
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 02:26 pm
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi guys

Many thanks.

No that's wrong, sorry.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:50 pm
McTag wrote:

Quote:
JTT wrote: I don't see what's wrong with it, McTag.

McTag wrote:

I'm splitting hairs, but since we are trying to be exact and correct....

"only" modifies "a little" and not "understands", and so the purist (that's me) would prefer it placed elsewhere. Word order, that's all.

1. John only goes to the ice rink (he doesn't go inside it)

2. John goes only to the ice rink (he doesn't like the cinema)

Embarrassed

In your exampes, aren't you asking an awful lot of a simple little word, McTag? Granted, since it's McTag that's speaking, only McTag's meaning gets to hold sway. But without the additions, as a stand alone sentence, would anyone really think that "John walks to ice rink but stands outside"?

Being exact has to allow that we can't simply provide one meaning for all language situations.

In the original sentence,

"My parents only understand a little English",

we could drop the 'only' without any change in meaning save for some degree of emphasis. Why can't that emphasis be placed upon the verb, as in,

"My parents only understand English"?

Cheers, Sire.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 05:33 pm
Most people, and most usage, would agree that "My parents only understand a little English" is the equivalent of "My parents understand only a little English".

But it isn't. It is a common mistake (in grammatical terms), although the meaning (in this example) is clear and not ambiguous.

If it were not so late here, and if I had not just come in from the pub, I might be able to think of examples which illustrate this more clearly. There are doubtless examples where ambiguity would exist.

However, goodnight all.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:49 am
Maybe these examples

John only lusts after Claire. (he doesn't confront her with his desires)

John lusts after only Claire. (she's the only girl for him)

will illustrate the point better.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:23 pm
McTag wrote:
Maybe these examples

John only lusts after Claire. (he doesn't confront her with his desires)

A: Does John have the hots for a lot of girls?

B: Nope, John only lusts after Claire.

OR

B: Nope, John lusts after Claire only.

OR

B: Nope, John lusts only after Claire.

John lusts after only Claire. (she's the only girl for him)

OR

John lusts after Claire only.

will illustrate the point better.

There's no doubt, McTag, that the placement of adverbs CAN make a substantial difference in meaning, sometimes opposite ones. But sometimes, it's simply a matter of a normal neutral placement or one[s] that change the emphasis.
0 Replies