Replacing a Honda Civic Headlight Bulb

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
What a couple of hours!

I called my local mechanics to set up an appt. I could come in right now - great!

My car won't start (werwwerwwerw)

I wait for AAA for an hour.

Get there and explain the situation, leaving out the screw because it didn't seem important. The (cute) mechanic comes in and asks if I know anything about the screw. Um...... I dropped it. His turn to be frustrated. They take off the whole headlight assembly and shake - aha, there it is.

They continue to work on that and then alternate with changing the oil. Very little, very dirty oil (oopsie).

While the car is up, they see that there's a leak of clear viscous liquid - power steering liquid. Dunno where it's coming from. Will check out another day.

Further investigation shows that there is liquid on the timing belt, not good. Will investigate another day.

We drop the car and check the headlights. The bulb they just replaced is fine, the other one? Blown. No kidding!

My car is possessed.

I did have fun checking out the underside and insides of my car with a professional tour guide. I frozen through.

So......... good for a couple more weeks, maybe. (knocks on wood).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:26 pm
Looks like one little screw caused you an inordinate amount of trouble.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:41 pm
nah, the screw was only a small part of it. I'm lucky it fell into the headlight bubble (for lack of a better word) so it wasn't lost.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:43 pm
Housing would be a good word to use as well.

Bubble does have a certain catchiness to it
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:45 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I liked her use of the word screw.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:50 pm
dadpad wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

I liked her use of the word screw.

Yes, this thread is awash in innuendo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:50 pm
Without the loss of a screw, a timing belt would be lost... without the loss of (and so on).
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:52 pm
Never believe a mechanic, osso.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:56 pm
I was wondering when that screw would come back to haunt me......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:02 pm
Good point, Gus. Not a universal phenom, in my opinion, although close to it. But, then, I'm not a mechanic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:14 pm
I trust these guys. And so does everyone else who I know who uses them (a handful of people). They are an old style mechanic shop, pin-up girls and all.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:45 pm
littlek wrote:
They are an old style mechanic shop, pin-up girls and all.

This is ALWAYS a good sign, as long as there are no TV cameras. :wink:

Good luck littlek.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:05 pm
seems that these guys are used to the taming of the screw.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:33 pm
Groan
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:37 am
This thread makes me happy I have an even older car with a simple, elegant design throughout.

After you get that thing fixed, k, you need to make sure your headlights are in adjustment. Find a flat spot in a parking lot near a building. Drive up perpindicular to the building and turn on your lights (about 30 feet away). You low beams should be both to the right and below what would be dead center (if your beams were dead straight). High beams should be up and to the left a bit. I know MA has vehicle inspections but I don't know if they go into that much detail. If they do, it's best to have someone align them for you, if they don't then do it yourself. Mine uses two thumbscrews on each sealed beam unit to do it - very simple. Not sure about your more modern halogen design.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:00 pm
roger wrote:
Groan

Ditto! (heehee)

cj, I think they checked that and I have been keeping an eye on where my headlights fall until I happen upon a place that provides a good surface to check them out in more detail. I rarely use my high beams, so I won't be blinding anyone......
0 Replies

johnbarton

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 11:47 am
You can have some kind of help over here... http://usautolighting.com
0 Replies