Replacing a Honda Civic Headlight Bulb

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:02 am
Remember the golden rules of repair. If it doesn't move and is supposed to, WD-40. If it moves but isn't supposed to, DUCT TAPE. Wink
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:02 am
Lowlifes in the Honda wholesale parts dept.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:12 am
For the moment it would appear as though Honda does not service these peices seperately. (only in a headlight assembly)

Are you missing ONLY the screw? or both it and the spring. He is going to raid the spare parts bin in the shop.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:29 am
Woohoo! Ha! Just the screw - for now. Does it seem more effective for me to go to a dealer and get the screw myself?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:38 am
If I can get them to come up with a part #, then absolutely.

We are a little slow and dense here in the sticks, but I have faith that they will figure it out soon. I will keep you posted, as he is supposed to come by for lunch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:49 am
Thanks Rockhead....

I found the screw - no number though.... it's called a bolt-back and I'm ordering one! Maybe I should get two just in case.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/4/4431025.gif

They make it look so simple and roomy - ha!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
A lot of times it is easier and quicker to take the time to remove the battery to change the bulb. It will allow better angles and more room.

It would appear as though Honda does not service the screw by itself.

I will have a used one tomorrow, along with a spare clip. He buys parts for his toys from me, so there is no charge. I am still trying to get him to find a Honda # for the screw, but it is looking bleak.

There are a number of ways to send it to Boston easily. I have friends there that can help if necessary.

Keep me posted in case your boltback does not work.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:05 pm
Well.... I ordered two screws (no number given). I still have to get the friggin clip seated.....

The problem with the arrangement of the passenger side headlight isn't the battery, it's the air intake house and a bunch of other stuff - like permanent framework. They say the driver side is easier to replace.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
It is. The air intake should remove and install simply as well.

Framework just has to be worked around. Itty bitty hands is the secret.

And LOTS of patience.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:13 pm
Damn, looking at that picture again, I think the screw is for the lens, not the bulb.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:15 pm
Itty bitty hands. My hands are pretty average for a woman and I could barely squeeze in there. Patience is definitely needed. More patience than I had yesterday. perhaps I could mess with the clip again.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:16 pm
If you are talking #2, yes it secures the headlight assembly housing to the body.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:17 pm
poop.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:20 pm
littlek, I don't know if it would help, or how techy you are, but if you want to take a pic of what you are looking at, and post it, I can help you much better with what can and can't be removed easily, etc.

(this would be beyond me. I went avatarless for weeks.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
I was just about to do just that, Rockhead! I'll be back.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:10 pm
<breathing in, breathing out...... breathing in, breathing out>

Ahem.

I'm bringing it to a mechanic down the street. Sometime.... hopefully before t-giving. If I try again today I'll kick something.

Photos coming.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:28 pm
This rubber boot does a fairly good job of keeping bulb stable in its seat.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Miscellaneous/headlight1.jpg

Couldn't get the camera to angle so that you could see the hole for the screw. Still can't tell what that screw does.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Miscellaneous/headlight2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gigipix/Miscellaneous/headlight3.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
I have played with all of that except have no memory of a screw being involved. It IS a bad place to try and be precise with the spring.

You appear to have as much access as you will be able to get.

My associate is to come over tomorrow for lunch, (he couldn't make it today) and bring the pieces with him, along with helpful hints. I really think if you get the spring back into place that the screw is redundant.

My Uncle always told me at times like these that you just gotta hold your mouth right while you do it. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:47 pm
I agree that the screw is redundant. I shouldn't have touched the screw. i did and I lost it. I don't think it does much.

Holding the mouth right means keeping it closed so that the nasty words you're thinking to come out?

Seriously, I need an oil change anyway, I'll ask if they can put the clip on too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:57 pm
I don't know, my Uncle swore like a sailor.

I agree. They will save you untold aggravation, for a slight extra expense.

(deep breaths)
0 Replies