Replacing a Honda Civic Headlight Bulb

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:41 pm
This has got to be the worst headlight design ever! I have smaller hands than the average mechanic and I could barely get in there to replace the bulb. Even after removing the air tubing.6

Anyway, I dropped the screw which holds the metal thingie that helps to keep the bulb steady while driving. Does anyone have any idea how badly I screwed up by losing it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 17,073 • Replies: 56
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
They replace the bulb for $2 at my nearest Honda dealer. Definitely not worth the annoyance. Same thing for front wiper blades. I could change both easily on my pre-Honda cars.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
Well, Beth, it's too late for the bulb - maybe next time. I did just replace the blades with the usual minor annoyances.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:52 pm
Drats.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
The fresh and somewhat wet layer of falling leaves didn't help. I'm pretty sure the screw is still inside the frame somewhere.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 02:42 pm
Littlek--

Do you have a magnet you could wave around in that area?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
<sigh> Probably. Maybe tomorrow before I drive the car. I suppose I should check online for a replacement.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:25 pm
littleK, what year is your Honda?
The spring is important, but not the end of the world.
A replacement will be inexpensive, and I can send/show you info to fix it yourself.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:27 pm
littlek wrote:
Anyway, I dropped the screw which holds the metal thingie that helps to keep the bulb steady while driving. Does anyone have any idea how badly I screwed up by losing it?

Kiss that car goodbye.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:45 pm
Rockhead thanks. I figure the light will wobble a little (contrary to Gus' opinion). I've seen cars with headlights that do wobble and they are annoying. I'd like to resolve the problem. I just looked online and found no way of seeking out that little headlight screw. But, I saw many people who were at least as frustrated as I about the process. The spring is wedged in there between the boot and the base, sans screw. It's a 97.

Gus, I think I'll just kiss that screw goodbye and keep the car.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 05:18 pm
I don't have access til tomorrow, but I will check then. You will be OK in the meantime, It will cost you another bulb at worst.

Driver or passenger side?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:19 pm
After thinking for a bit, littlek, I would not use my headlights until I looked a little closer. If the "bucket" is glass/ceramic, nothing bad can happen.

If, however it is plastic, then the spring you spoke of is keeping the bulb(it gets VERY hot) away from the housing. You could possibly burn a several hundred dollar hole in your car.

I will look closer at some info tomorrow and try to be less ominous.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:34 pm
oooohhhh.... shoot. What's the bucket? The wiring and (female) socket is fed through a rubber boot where it attaches to the bulb (male). The bulb is glass set on a metal (aluminum) platform. The metal platform sort of pops into the rubber boot. The bulb is inserted into the backside of the headlight, from inside the engine area. The metal clip (same lightweight metal) is just set in there, it should be clipped in between the rubber boot and the headlight/engine wall framework. The screw must stabilize the whole ensemble where it connects to the framework on the backside of the headlight.

Does that make sense? I just tried to download a manual with diagrams and couldn't find one worth posting (for free). What are you worried about? Something catching on fire, or some sort of short?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:48 pm
Oops, it's the passenger side.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:31 pm
No fire or emergency, just do not want the surface of the bulb to get near a surface it can melt. If it does, you replace the assembly. (several hundred dollars)

I will look into it first thing in the AM(10:30 ET) and will post accordingly.
I will be up for a bit if you are lurking about with a flashlight.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:09 am
http://z.about.com/d/autorepair/1/0/O/U/58937412.gif

Is this what it looks like? I'm not sure where the screw comes into play.

(Diagram is from a '95, so maybe the design changed slightly.)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:37 am
Littlek, I am having a factory diagram faxed in a bit and will have a better answer, but for now, I am certain of no dangers of fire or melting in the short term. I am assuming you were able to get the plastic ring screwed back on?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:46 am
Can tou give me a specific model? or the VIN# but leave off the last 6 for privacy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:58 am
Gus, it's similar. I have the rubber cap and a similar bulb. You can see the metal clip in the last picture - it's telling you to push on it. The screw sits at the bottom of the picture, where the clip sort of comes to a point.

Rockhead, you're being very generous with your time, thanks. Who is sending you a fax about the headlight!?! Friends in high places....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:59 am
Rockhead wrote:
Can tou give me a specific model? or the VIN# but leave off the last 6 for privacy.

JHMEJ6527VS
0 Replies