FCC Republicans again attempt to weaken media ownership rule

georgeob1

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 01:42 pm
I have no opinion whatever concerning the motives of most of the individuals involved in this debate. There are numerous central and side elements of the issue on which various actors can hang their hats.

However, in a world in which mass communications is increasingly dominated by the completely unregulated internet and cable networks, the attempt to single out a relatively small segment of broadcast networks for government regulation of both content and ownership, strikes me as absurd. The anti monopoly and fairness arguments offered in support of it are utterly enviscerated by the simple facts that the most ubiquitous mass communications networks are utterly unregulated by the FCC, and that the one segment they are attempting to restrain, broadcast networks, happens to be a favored venue of their political opponents.

Finally, the physical facts on which the constitutional justification of the former regulatory regime was based no longer exist in a world of HD radio, the internet, and cable radio & TV. There is no longer any justification for this limitation on constitutionally guaranteed freedoms.

I have made my position clear. Perhaps Blatham would care to enlighten us with an explanation of just what is the logical basis for his advocacy of this continued infringement on individual freedom.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 02:34 pm
He's a lerftie George. Infringement of the freedom of others runs in the blood of lefties because they can only apply their unworldly ideas by enforced regulation. Freedom has no value to them.

The simple fact that he will argue with you and not with me is because he can bounce off your arguments to the advantage of the left.

And, like all lefties, he assumes that consumers of media are all sitting ducks and the policies of the right are being forced down their throats rather than being chosen for their value.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 11:11 am
I note that Republicans Trent Lott, Susan George, William Safire, and Olympia Snowe (there are others as well) oppose such deregulation and george, who framed it as entirely a partisan issue, responds with the convenient
Quote:
I have no opinion whatever concerning the motives of most of the individuals involved in this debate. There are numerous central and side elements of the issue on which various actors can hang their hats.

Sure, george. But your previous post has it a bit differently.

Quote:
All of this leads the discerning observer to look deeper for the real motives behind this issue... This is an attempt to misuse the power of government to suppress the political speech of voices they oppose.

I have precisely as much interest in getting you to change your mind on this matter as I do of training quail to shoot the vice president in the face. Neither are possible even if both are emminently desireable.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:26 pm
There is a big difference between claiming to know the inner motives of an individual person and estimating the collective intent behing the organized activity of political groups.

I have outlined rather completely the situation with respect to the now obsolete and no longer constitutionally justifiable restriction of liberty with respect to broadcast media, and have done the same with respect to my own position on the matter. You have done neither.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 05:13 pm
We've talked about this previously and on a number of occasions. We get nowhere. You have an axiomatic formula for thinking about government regulation and I have an axiomatic formula for thinking about axiomatic formulizers. And, I confess, you have me at a clear disadvantage due to the admirable vitality of your denial mechanism.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 05:34 pm
Bernie, you are merely being clever and cute - while you evade the very issue you have raised.

You are unable to defend the proposition that the government should regulate both content and ownership of broadcast media while, at the same time, exercising neither power with respect to cable networks and the internet. You are equally unable to defend the obvious absence of any justification for the abridgement of free speech you advocate.

So instead you indulge yourself in these cute evasions. I believe they speak very eloquently for the indefensability of your position - whatever it might be.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
He has a defensible position George.

It's that he's a really, really clever-clogs and you had better get used to it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:32 pm
blatham wrote:
Sorry. I meant 'must' in the logical sense. We can't make the jump to all cases will work the same as a that which we see in a single example.

I would imagine that the Chicago example is more typical than a doomsday scenario where some modern-day Charles Foster Kane takes over all of the media outlets in a single city and imposes his political views on everybody.

blatham wrote:
I wouldn't be happy with that, I don't think, because of the exceptional nature of the commodity. Are existing anti-trust laws written formulaicly (enter industry name here______) or are they constructed variously, to account for differences of various sorts?

No, antitrust laws are written in a non-specific manner. But what's so special about cross-ownership in the media and not in, say, automobiles or breakfast cereal or dog food? Why should a newspaper company be forbidden from owning a television or radio station while General Motors or General Mills or General Foods aren't under similar restrictions?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 09:24 pm
blatham wrote:
finn
Quote:
Makes sense except that you delude yourself if you truly assert that you do not see the Republican Party as the 'enemy.' As a reader of most of your posts, I assure you that with a little time and effort I can find enough blatham quotes on A2K to prove otherwise.

I have some trouble being convinced when someone else claims they have a better grasp of my thoughts than I. Call me old fashioned.

Quote:
blatham; Information control is essential to the authoritarian enterprise. Authoritarian regimes always demand it and they cannot continue when they do not manage to control information.

finn; I agree completely, however I'm afraid that your vision is myopic. You continuously display the sense that authoritarianism can only equal The Right.

It's not a left/right matter, in the normal or cliched sense of those worlds. There was Pravda in the USSR, and China will have its main information organs (I don't know what they are) which function in precisely the same manner. And that function will not differ in any rightwing dictatorship you might point to.

As an eternal optimist, I admit that I will be able to find a silver lining in the dark cloud of a Democratic win in 2008: We will have an opportunity to see if the numerous unbiased defenders of Truth, Justice and The Global Way find it as easy to criticize an American government led by Democrats as they do one led by Republicans.

Comparing the current US administration to the former USSR and the current China is pretty ridiculous and herein lies my complaint with your rhetoric.

If there has ever been a political machine that attempts to manipulate the media, it is the Clinton Machine, and its methods involve more sticks than carrots. If I've missed your critical take on this aspect of the Clintonistas, I apologize.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
joe wrote:
Quote:
I would imagine that the Chicago example is more typical than a doomsday scenario where some modern-day Charles Foster Kane takes over all of the media outlets in a single city and imposes his political views on everybody.

I would imagine the same thing, joe. But regulation of human or corporate behavior isn't occasioned only by some worst and certain extremity. It is unlikely that a natural gas tanker will run through that intersection below my window and explode on contact with a bus loaded to the gunnels with stradivarius violins and gifted catholic virgins but still we find reason for traffic regulations.

Quote:
No, antitrust laws are written in a non-specific manner. But what's so special about cross-ownership in the media and not in, say, automobiles or breakfast cereal or dog food? Why should a newspaper company be forbidden from owning a television or radio station while General Motors or General Mills or General Foods aren't under similar restrictions?

It is a good thing to have the choice of either Corn Flakes or Oregano Sugar Stars for breakfast and to be able to purchase them at a relatively low price as set by open competition. But I don't think we'd want to say that meaningful democracy is dependent upon that situation. It is dependent upon a free and independent and varied media spectrum and upon the fact of a multiplicity of political viewpoints expressed and received/considered however.

George is right about a couple of things here and I suppose we ought to validate them because a thing is as valuable as it is rare. The media environment is different than when earlier legislation/regulations were devised, and the devil is in the details which can be complicated. For example, in this case, Moyers makes the claim that this proposed legislation contains a loophole which will permit consolidation far past what Martin suggests. I can't forward his argument or the reasons for it because I don't know what he's referring to nor whether his view is accurate. But I consider it likely to the point of certainty that Martin, as a typical Bush administration political appointee, is in his position to forward industry interests, citizen interests being mostly impedimentary. Powell, Martin's predecessor, is now making the big dollars working for the media industry. He ain't a consumer advocate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:07 am
finn said
Quote:
Comparing the current US administration to the former USSR and the current China is pretty ridiculous and herein lies my complaint with your rhetoric.

I didn't compare them. It is an 'if X, then Y' argument using a real example to demonstrate the connection. If media control is effectively narrowed down in the direction of a single control point, to that degree liberty will be diminished. All authoritarian systems function this way and where information is so controlled (remember, it isn't on/off or black/white, it is degrees) there you have an authoritarian system. Five corporations now own the major media in the US. Would you wish it to consolidate down to three or two or one? Why not?

Quote:
If there has ever been a political machine that attempts to manipulate the media, it is the Clinton Machine, and its methods involve more sticks than carrots. If I've missed your critical take on this aspect of the Clintonistas, I apologize.

You have missed it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:30 am
Let me tack in this bit I just bumped into. Lots of internal links in the source piece. George, you can skip it if you like as I fear you will be off-put by the tone or the harmonics or the epidermus (or something) of it.
Quote:
Still, we should welcome Martin's attempt to frame his push for new media ownership rules in the language of democracy. He tells us, "Newspapers are crucial to our democracy." Indeed. The regulation banning a media company from owning a newspaper and a broadcast operation in the same community was designed to promote a diversity of voices in the local community. A rule that says a local television operation cannot be owned by the local newspaper is perfectly consistent with the long-held view that the robust expression of diverse and independent views is essential to democracy.

Honesty from public leaders is also crucial to our democracy. It would have been nice if Martin trusted the public with the news that he was under pressure to change the rule from billionaires Samuel Zell and Rupert Murdoch. Zell is a Chicago real estate investor who wants to complete his buyout of the Tribune Company before the end of 2007. I recommend the documentary "Outfoxed" for a detailed primer on Murdoch, the new publisher of the Wall Street Journal.

There are those who argue that the sky will not fall if Martin and his Republican colleagues at the FCC vote to eliminate the ban on broadcast/newspaper cross-ownership in the 20 largest cities. Even if, as FCC Commissioners Michael Copps and Jonathan Adelstein note, this amounts to 43 percent of the nation's households, the Martin proposal does not for some, such as Zell and the Tribune company, go quite far enough.

Besides, as the Columbia Journalism Review acknowledges, Tribune and News Corporation and the New York Times have been operating with special waivers from this law for decades.
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2007/11/fcc.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:31 am
Quick little wave of goodybe to Howard.

Back to regular programming.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:48 am
Sorry, folks. It's just a sad sad morning with these goodbyes. Waving to the president of Oral Roberts University, Richard, Oral's son. Waving goodbye.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
finn said
Quote:

I really don't like Kurtz. But this speaks fairly objectively to your suggestion...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/23/AR2007112301659.html?hpid=topnews
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:29 am
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

I really don't like Kurtz. But this speaks fairly objectively to your suggestion...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/23/AR2007112301659.html?hpid=topnews

So its just determined corrections of journalistic error?

I really don't like Crowley but the following piece is amazing in how far he is willing to go - while all the while making excuses and suggesting the sins are really virtues. Emphasis is added.

Bunker Hillary
Clinton's strategy for crushing the media.

Michael Crowley, The New Republic Published: Monday, November 12, 2007

On June 1, The New York Times published a front-page article titled, ONE PLACE WHERE OBAMA GOES ELBOW TO ELBOW. The feature detailed Barack Obama's love for pickup basketball, his jersey-tugging style, even the time he hit a long game-winning shot after getting fouled.

The Obama camp clearly welcomed the humanizing glimpse at Obama's life; his rivals, probably not so much. In an ordinary campaign, that might have been it. But this is no ordinary campaign--not when Hillary Clinton is a candidate. And so, the Clinton team let Times reporter Patrick Healy, who covers the Hillary beat, know about their "annoyance" with the story, as Healy later put it.

If grumbling about a basketball story seems excessive, it's also typical of the Clinton media machine. Reporters who have covered the hyper-vigilant campaign say that no detail or editorial spin is too minor to draw a rebuke. Even seasoned political journalists describe reporting on Hillary as a torturous experience. Though few dare offer specifics for the record--"They're too smart," one furtively confides. "They'll figure out who I am"-- (And do what? No, this doesn't signify intimidation as these seasoned journalists are only worried that they might be stricken from the Clinton Christmas Card List)privately, they recount excruciating battles to secure basic facts. Innocent queries are met with deep suspicion. Only surgically precise questioning yields relevant answers. Hillary's aides don't hesitate to use access as a blunt instrument, as when they killed off a negative GQ story on the campaign by threatening to stop cooperating with a separate Bill Clinton story the magazine had in the works. Reporters' jabs and errors are long remembered, and no hour is too odd for an angry phone call. Clinton aides are especially swift to bypass reporters and complain to top editors. "They're frightening!" says one reporter who has covered Clinton. "They don't see [reporting] as a healthy part of the process. They view this as a ruthless kill-or-be-killed game."

Despite all the grumbling, however, the press has showered Hillary with strikingly positive coverage. "It's one of the few times I've seen journalists respect someone for beating the hell out of them," says a veteran Democratic media operative. The media has paved a smooth road for signature campaign moments like Hillary's campaign launch and her health care plan rollout and has dutifully advanced campaign-promoted themes like Hillary's "experience" and expertise in military affairs. This is all the more striking in light of the press's past treatment of Clinton--particularly during her husband's White House years--including endless stories about her personal ethics, frostiness, and alleged Lady Macbeth persona.

It's enough to make you suspect that breeding fear and paranoia within the press corps is itself part of the Clinton campaign's strategy. And, if that sounds familiar, it may be because the Clinton machine, say reporters and pro-Hillary Democrats, is emulating nothing less than the model of the Bush White House, which has treated the press with thinly veiled contempt and minimal cooperation. "The Bush administration changed the rules," as one scribe puts it--and the Clintonites like the way they look. (To be sure, no one accuses the Clinton team of outright lying to the press, as the Bushies have done, or of crossing other ethical lines. (No one?) And reporters say other press shops--notably those of Rudy Giuliani and John Edwards--are also highly combative.)

So far, the strategy has worked brilliantly. (Whereas when ployed by the "Bushies" it was manipulation, intimidation and despicable) In the current climate, where the mainstream media is under attack from both conservatives and liberals, Clinton may have picked the right moment to get tough with the press. But, as the murmur of discontent among the fourth estate grows--and Hillary's coverage has taken a sharper tone since a widely panned debate performance late last month--even some Hillary supporters fear that the strategy may produce a dangerous backlash.

In January 1993, Hillary Clinton granted her first newspaper interview as First Lady. But, rather than agreeing to sit down with a national reporter to discuss issues of substance, Hillary would only meet with a food reporter from The New York Times--and then only to discuss her hostess duties. Later, other reporters who wanted to question her about policy were told to submit written questions. "Her ground-zero assumption is that [a reporter is] an asshole," a senior Hillary aide told her biographer, Carl Bernstein.

Clinton's wariness was forged by her husband's nightmarish experience on the 1992 campaign trail. Battered by stories about Bill's mistresses and financial dealings, Hillary seethed at the press and resolved to control their coverage. Bill disliked the press, too--but not with the loathing of his wife, who even tried to throw the press out of the White House itself. In January 1993, she and her friend Susan Thomases proposed to move the White House press room next door, to the sleepy Old Executive Office Building. When that scheme was deemed untenable, aides closed off a hallway connecting the press room to the West Wing. Outraged reporters pounced on press secretary George Stephanopoulos, who later recalled thinking, "I'm not your problem; Hillary is. ... [Bill] Clinton seems to be on my side. He asked me again this morning why we were closing the door. Um, have you talked to your wife about this, Mr. President?"

Hillary's first instinct was usually to stonewall the press. When New York Times reporter Jeff Gerth was first reporting on Whitewater in early 1992, rather than work with Gerth, Hillary insisted on giving him the figurative finger. Likewise, Hillary balked when The Washington Post asked to see private Whitewater documents in 1993. Bill Clinton favored compliance with the Post--but was overruled by Hillary, who implied she would rather "throw them all in the Potomac." Former Clinton White House adviser David Gergen has called the decision "the decisive turning point" that convinced Washington the Clintons had something to hide.

To be fair, when Hillary did engage the press, she often got burned. When she ruminated to the The New York Times Magazine's Michael Kelly about spirituality, he produced a mocking cover story titled "Saint Hillary." Hillary later wrote that she had been "raw with grief" over her dying father, implying that Kelly had exploited her emotional vulnerability. In 1994, with questions swirling about a big profit she turned selling cattle futures, she agreed to meet with a clamoring media. Donning a memorable pink suit, she endured an hour of harsh questioning. Afterward, according to Gerth and Don Van Natta's recent book Her Way, Hillary told her aides the exercise had been futile. "They're not going to let up. They're just going to keep coming at us, no matter what we do." The sordid Monica Lewinsky scandal only affirmed Hillary's firm belief that the "vast right-wing conspiracy" had immense power over mainstream media coverage.

When Hillary embarked on her 2000 run for Senate in New York, she brought her antipathy toward the press with her and set new standards for media control. After the campaign, AP reporter Beth Harpaz wrote a book about her experience in which she described feeling at various times "humiliated," "paranoid," and "so worn down and so exasperated by the lack of access and the lack of news in this campaign that I'd given up fighting." Once, when Hillary sent a candy basket to the press van, the downtrodden reporters were incredulous, Harpaz wrote: "[N]one of us could believe that Hillary was being so nice to us."

In July, Hillary's communications director, Howard Wolfson, appeared on MSNBC's "Hardball" with Barack Obama's chief strategist David Axelrod. Obama had said he would be willing to meet with Iranian leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Wolfson pointedly noted that this would place Obama in the company of a "Holocaust denier," which compelled a flummoxed Axelrod to clarify that Obama does not, in fact, condone Holocaust denial. The show's host, Chris Matthews, declared Wolfson's tactic "brilliant politics" before later rebranding it "dirtball."

Many political reporters feel similarly conflicted about Wolfson, the public face of Hillary's press operation. But everyone agrees he is a fearsome operator. As communications director for the 1998 Senate campaign of New York Democrat Charles Schumer, Wolfson would fire up his aides by riffing on a famous line from The Untouchables: "If he uses a fist, you use a bat. If he uses a knife, you use a gun." During Hillary's 2006 reelection campaign, he constantly taunted her GOP opponent, John Spencer, for once joking that he'd like to kill a federal judge and a governor with whom he'd feuded.

Those flashes of sadism don't reflect the unexpectedly likeable character within, however. "Wooffie," as Hillary has been known to call him, is colorfully eccentric--afraid of flying, highly allergic, prone to weird accidents, and a proud indie-rock connoisseur. (As opposed to his counterparts in the GOP who are scarily paranoid ---afraid of gays, suspiciously immune to allergies, designers of weird accidents, and proud members of the Eugene McCarthy Fan Club.) And, unlike many hard-assed Republican operatives, Wolfson socializes with some top D.C. political reporters. (Ooooh - that makes it alright then)

A former reporter himself, Wolfson may actually feel some kinship with the reporters he spins. Not so other senior members of Hillary's team, including her chief pollster and guru, Mark Penn, whose recent book Microtrends derides media "elites" as out of touch and superficial. (Penn even name-checks The New York Times's Mark Leibovich for "filling front pages with personal impressions about candidates' personalities.") Moreover, working under Wolfson is a press team drawn from the killing fields of New York political media, where relentless tabloids drive the news and slow reaction equals death. Ironically, their godfather is Schumer, one of the most press-hungry politicians in history. The Clinton campaign's pugnacious press secretary, Phil Singer, spent several years as Schumer's spokesman. Clinton press aides Jay Carson and Blake Zeff are also ex-Schumer hands.

The defining quality of that machine is, simply, impenetrability. Reporting any story the Clintonites haven't specifically encouraged can be like wading through mud. "Their rule is never to volunteer information--ever," says one reporter who has experienced this. (Process stories are particularly verboten.) Another is a willingness to offer access to Clinton only under strictly controlled circumstances--as when she agreed to appear on the major TV networks the day her candidacy launched on the condition that the interviews be short and unedited, allowing precious little time for unrelated queries. In a testament to the enormous power of Hillary's celebrity, her single greatest point of leverage with the media, no one refused.

The Clintonites are also defined by their obsessive determination never to be caught off-guard by bad news. Whenever possible, they seek to release it on their own terms. In May, the campaign spoiled the summer rollout of two Clinton biographies, Gerth and Van Natta's Her Way and Bernstein's A Woman In Charge, by obtaining advance copies and leaking them to The Washington Post on the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. Employing another signature technique--the dismissive put-down--Philippe Reines, Hillary's Senate spokesman, asked the Post, "Is it possible to be quoted yawning?" And long-time Clinton associate Taylor Branch, a key source for Her Way's newsiest anecdote--that the Clintons had a "20-year project" for Hillary to become president--came forward to deny the story. Scoring embargoed galleys is a Clinton specialty. Sally Bedell Smith, author of the recent Clinton biography For Love of Politics, says she was "thunderstruck" to learn from Clinton friend Terry McAuliffe, weeks before the book's release, that Bill Clinton had already read it. "It was unnerving that he could have gotten a copy at that stage," she says. (McAuliffe denies making this statement to Bedell Smith. A source close to him says he refutes the alleged comments from the "brief social conversation.")

Adding to the Clinton camp's reputation for fearsome omnipotence is its treatment of media figures who cross them. Wolfson first refined this technique in response to Sheehy's dishy 1999 book, Hillary's Choice, when his intense counteroffensive--Wolfson trashed her factual errors and even showed up at Sheehy's book events to spin reporters--made the author, and not Hillary, the story. Bedell Smith adds that, during her research, one Clintonite told her that her book was causing ulcers "because I was someone with a solid reputation who would be difficult to attack."

Many reporters also suspect the Clinton camp of employing outside proxies to attack troublemakers in the media. After Hillary's shaky debate performance late last month, the Drudge Report--whose author, Matt Drudge, the campaign has assiduously courted--quickly featured an unusual blind quote on its homepage in which an unnamed "top Hillary advisor" said debate moderator Tim Russert "bordered on the unprofessional." Joining in the attack on Russert was Media Matters, the liberal press-watching website founded by former Clinton-hater turned Clinton ally David Brock. Many in Washington believe the campaign feeds material to Brock's site, as when Media Matters went after New York Times reporter Anne Kornblut last July after Kornblut misrendered a quote that led to an erroneous story claiming Hillary had criticized fellow Democrats. Not only did Clinton aides fume to the paper's editors, but Media Matters pummeled Kornblut and the Times for several days. (A count of Media Matters stories from October found 39 headlines defending Clinton, compared to 15 for Obama and just one for John Edwards. A Media Matters spokesman strongly denied favoritism.)

Sometimes, Hillary even gets in the act. According to Gerth and Van Natta, Kornblut was just back from a planned vacation she took after her story appeared when she ran into Hillary in a hotel. Referring to Kornblut's casual attire, Hillary cracked, "Anne, I thought you left Barbados"--revealing an ominous awareness of the reporter's movements. "That's their imprimatur," says the Democratic strategist with presidential experience. "When there's a story they don't like, they seize on it and turn it back on the reporter, and make it about the reporter." (Sort of like the way they handled women who who accused Bill of sexual harassment) (As First Lady, Hillary called for a public "frontal assault" against The Washington Post's lead Whitewater reporter, Susan Schmidt, according to the Post's Howard Kurtz, though the plan was never enacted.)

Several sources report hearing that the Clinton campaign has bragged about forcing one reporter at a major news organization from the Hillary beat. The boast, which one source heard from a senior Hillary aide, is incorrect. But the claim has become a part of insider Washington lore. Like the tale of the killed GQ story, it has only enhanced the dark mythology (Of course it's only mythos. We all know the Clinton machine would never actually cross the ethical line) of the Hillary machine--a mythology the Clintonites don't dispel. "They brag about scalps that they take, " says a Democratic operative who has heard such tales.

Most Democrats in Washington agree that, had John Kerry responded more effectively to conservative "Swift Boat" attacks about his war record in the summer of 2004, he would be president today. (No doubt they do, but Sore Losers always have an excuse for why they lost that has nothing to do with them) And, if the Clinton campaign is overzealous, some say, it's because they are determined to avoid the alternative. "There's a Swift Boat around every corner," says one Democratic operative close to the campaign. "We'll be damned if we're going to let that happen again." Almost as important--in the Democratic primaries, at least--it is determined to show that it won't let that happen again. "They've cultivated this attack-machine image because they think that Democrats want that," says one political reporter. "They're pandering to the bloggers." This approach isn't without risks, however. Some people say a central problem for Al Gore in 2000 was the way the reporters covering him resented the lack of access and information they were afforded and (allegedly) punished him with negative coverage. Among Hillary's supporters, there are already fears of a repeat. According to one person who was present, the subject arose in a recent conversation among a group of former Clinton hands and loyalists, who fretted that the campaign's short-term press management success isn't sustainable--that its brute propaganda mentality will eventually taint Hillary's coverage. Some Clinton supporters describe a gradually harder edge, as evidenced by her post- debate coverage. One veteran Democratic strategist agrees: "Don't you think they're on the brink [of a backlash]?"

Perhaps not. Unfortunately for the beleaguered hacks covering Hillary Clinton, she remains the most reliable means of boosting ratings and selling papers in U.S. politics. And many of the strategists and reporters with whom I spoke were resigned to the idea that, in modern politics and media, nice guys finish last. After complaining about the Clinton machine for a spell, one political reporter fondly described how much easier dealing with the Obama campaign had been: "The Obama press office is nothing like this. They've got a very open and friendly press office." There was a pause. "But, then, he's losing."

Update: After this story appeared online a person close to Terry McAuliffe contacted TNR to convey McAuliffe's denial of the claim by Sally Bedell Smith that McAuliffe told her Bill Clinton had seen a pre-publication galley of her book. (See here for more.) Contacted again, Bedell Smith said she stands firmly by her account. "It is a vivid memory for me," she said.

Michael Crowley is a senior editor at The New Republic.

Does anyone really believe that the mainstream media is as tough or tougher on Democrats than Republicans? Are you truly able to delude yourselves to such an extent?

This is not an attempt to excuse or rationalize any of the tactics the Bush Administration has employed to control media coverage. It is an attempt to illustrate how it is absurd to contend the desire and practice of media control belongs to only one side of the US political spectrum.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:06 am
The Democrats salivate over the possibility of reinstituting some form of the old Fairness Doctrine, which is a direct assault on free speech. The idea that they are the party of free speech is laughable. It is a common tactic of the left to accuse their opponents of the very things that they themselves are actually the real threat of.

It is also a common tactic of leftists to name things in the opposite manner as pertains to what they actually accomplish, example the "Fairness Doctrine," which places fairness higher than freedom, and it is the government's idea of fairness that rules the day, which again is not freedom.

We now see Hugo Chavez instituting his fairness in Venezuela to all of the people down there in many different ways, by squashing the rights and freedoms. He is now accusing anyone that does not favor his reforms of being traitors. He thinks anyone is a traitor that does not agree with expanding the power of the communist thug. It is an ongoing example.

The Democrats would love nothing better than to squash any dissenting voices.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:16 am
blatham wrote:
finn said
Quote:

I didn't compare them. It is an 'if X, then Y' argument using a real example to demonstrate the connection. If media control is effectively narrowed down in the direction of a single control point, to that degree liberty will be diminished. All authoritarian systems function this way and where information is so controlled (remember, it isn't on/off or black/white, it is degrees) there you have an authoritarian system. Five corporations now own the major media in the US. Would you wish it to consolidate down to three or two or one? Why not?

The title of this thread is FCC Republicans again attempt to weaken media ownership rule (emphasis added)

You begin your post explaining how the dastardly bastard who is engineering this diabolical plot is A REPUBLICAN, and has numerous ties (even through marriage for Heaven's sake!) to the Evil Bush/Cheney Empire.

SIDEBAR: You make much of Martin's connections to Weily, Rein & Fielding. This firm, as are all large law firms, highly cognizant of politics. That they operate in Washington DC makes their interest and consideration all the more intense. Weily Rein does tend to represent clients associated with the Right (Business for one), but I would like to think there is no inherent evil in this tendency as, surely, the Right is as entitled to legal representation as the Left. Weily Rein is no more or less sinister than the Frederick H. Graefe firm , Piper Rudnick and any number of Democrat focused lobbyists in DC.

Then (after some interesting exchanges with george) you respond to my challenge that you seem only to perceive bogeymen when they associate themselves with the Right with "It's not a left/right matter, in the normal or cliched sense of those worlds. There was Pravda in the USSR, and China will have its main information organs"

Not..."Yes, FDR, JFK, Lyndon Johnson, Bill Clinton et al did much the same," but evoking the Soviet Union and Maoist China as the counterpoint to Bush, Cheney, Martin, Martin's wife, and Weily Rein & Fielding.

But I guess you're right.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:24 am
See my above post. What this is really about is the reinstitution of some form of the Fairness Doctrine, which is an oxymoron.

http://www.house.gov/hinchey/issues/mora.shtml
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:37 am
okie wrote:
The Democrats salivate over the possibility of reinstituting some form of the old Fairness Doctrine, which is a direct assault on free speech. The idea that they are the party of free speech is laughable. It is a common tactic of the left to accuse their opponents of the very things that they themselves are actually the real threat of.

It is also a common tactic of leftists to name things in the opposite manner as pertains to what they actually accomplish, example the "Fairness Doctrine," which places fairness higher than freedom, and it is the government's idea of fairness that rules the day, which again is not freedom.

We now see Hugo Chavez instituting his fairness in Venezuela to all of the people down there in many different ways, by squashing the rights and freedoms. He is now accusing anyone that does not favor his reforms of being traitors. He thinks anyone is a traitor that does not agree with expanding the power of the communist thug. It is an ongoing example.

The Democrats would love nothing better than to squash any dissenting voices.

But Okie, it's only fair.

Why should Conservative Talk-Radio be allowed to serve its particular audience when all these people want to hear are pundits who affirm their existing beliefs?

That isn't fair.

Liberal Talk-Radio can't muster much more than a feeble crowd to tune in their opinions, and so it is only fair that they get 50% of the airwave time now commanded by Conservative Talk-Radio. After all, we all know that the venom spewed by Rush and his ilk is terrible and so it's only right that the government step in and limit it.

You don't understand. If the Liberals didn't support Free Speech, they would be calling for the government to ban Conservative Talk-Radio. That may yet come, but right now all they are looking for is a fair shake at making their ideas known.

You just don't appreciate how imperiled we all are by the caustic rants of Limbaugh, Hannity, Savage, Levin and Coulter. These individuals, and their underlings have the power to destroy our society, and you have the nerve to worry about a strict interpretation of the First Amendment!

After all it's only fair that everyone share equally in the bounties of our society. It doesn't matter how much effort one invests, the reward should be equal. From each according to his ability; to each according to his need.

When my children were very young I asked them which way of life seemed better to them:

1) A world where everyone gets an equal share of the pot, no matter how much they contribute

2) A world where how much you get depends upon how much you contribute.

All of them chose #1.

Now they are young men and women and I am proud to say that they now all choose #2

Though they are all in their 20's, they show a maturity of thought that escapes so many of the intellectually juvenile who frequent this forum.
0 Replies