Alternative Treatments

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 04:14 am
My grandmother lived to the age of 91 years. She ate everything, that she shouldn't have. Bacon, eggs, red meat, etc. Evary morning, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, toast. Noon, tea and sandwich. Evening , full meal.

She said her prayers each and every day and took 1 mile walks in the p.m.

She never went to an M.D. and she never had either a PAP or a mammogram.

Maybe the old ways in many respects are better than some of the modern ways with all the meds etc.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:45 am
New Haven, it strongly depends on individual background, both genetic and life history. In the past, some 150-200 years ago, the average life expectancy did not exceed 50 years. Now it is almost 80 (in the First World countries), and in some places, like Japan, it exceeds 80 for women. On the other hand, in the poorest countries of Africa and Asia, where scientific medicine is out of access of majority of population, and the only treatment the people can get is the so-called "alternative", provided by local sorcerers, average life expectancy is the same (if not lower) as in the medieval Europe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:45 am
Some people just seem to have a biological clock that runs long no matter what you do to it. But I think a bit of the old with a bit of the new is most effective for some, such as myself. For instance, I don't fanatically avoid fat content in food, but I cook with olive oil and never with lard, as my Mom did.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:48 am
Well, that is a wise approach, Edgarblythe. Unlike lard, olive oil (or any other vegetable oil, except these of cocoa and coconut) does not contain cholesterol and saturated fatty acids. At age 45+ these substances should be avoided.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 06:01 am
I also avoid hydrogenated vegetable oil products.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 06:10 am
And you are absolutely right: hydrogenation transforms unsaturated fatty acids into saturated, and the latter are detrimental for health, at least for males at ages 45+.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:27 am
My ideal diet is as wide a variety of everything as possible, with restrictions on some grains, meats, sugar. In addition reasonable strengths of supplements chosen for the individual. Avoiding fried and grilled food to a great extent.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 07:33 am
Well, Edgarblythe, then you have real chances for longevity! Your diet is the most suitable for a male of your age.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:25 am
When I get into my 80s ( many years from now!), I'll eat Big Macs,
steak, French Fries...all washed down with good American beer.
I might even start up smoking again.

Heck! Why not?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:30 am
stessid:

Why the age 45+ ?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:31 am
New Haven wrote:
"a male of your age"