my own daycare business

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 09:48 am
I need a little more information since only on person helped me yesterday. please read these for me. it will help alot.

1) Do you have to go to college to start your own daycare business?

2) Is owning your own daycare business good money?

3) How old do I have to be to start my own daycare business?

4) Should I set my mind to a different career?

5) Do you think daycares will be needed in the future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,884 • Replies: 36
No top replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:14 am
Daycares will always be needed and there's good money in it but, are you looking into this to truly be of service or just to make money?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:16 am
Daycare rules vary state to state.
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:27 am
I would love to own my own daycare business. It's not about the money. Its a school project and to help me out with making my decision of what I want to be when I graduate.(may 2008) These are some of the questions I have to ask. I love taking care of kids and if people didn't need money to survive I would do it for free.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:57 am
Re: my own daycare business
1) Do you have to go to college to start your own daycare business?

This may vary by state. In AZ it is not necessary to have a college backround although it is probably helpful when parents can perform a backround check on the owner and find a verible resource of the persons accomplishments. I imagine most parents would prefer a daycare provider to have some sort of teaching certificate or some other sort of qualification.

2) Is owning your own daycare business good money?

I think this depends on how big the business is. If you are bringing kids into your home it depends on how many realistically can you care for. Do you plan on hiring other sitters? Do you plan on having a commercial location for the daycare? Location can be a big factor.

3) How old do I have to be to start my own daycare business?

As far as I know you need to be at least 18 (able to enter into a valid contract with the parent for sitting services) I imagine however parents would prefer someone with many years expereince and may stereotype a younger person thinking they are not qualified enough.

4) Should I set my mind to a different career?

This all depends on you and what you enjoy. If you don't mind playing with kids, wiping noses, changing clothes, dealing with disciplining them, being creative when it comes to activities then you would probably do well. It takes a special type of individual to be around kids all day (especially someone else's kids) Also consider in this day and age we have a heightened sense of stranger danger and pedophelia. Someone in this profession needs to be extremely careful to always show ethical behavior toward the children. It only takes one parent complaint about a 'potential' threat to their child that can bring down a down care business.

5) Do you think daycares will be needed in the future?

Yes. This would be a good time to research birth rate trends and determine where a majority of the population having kids reside.

Hope this helps!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:39 am
I've known a few people who began their day care center in their own homes. A college degree wasn't necessary and they do well, financially. Some retired women supplement their incomes this way. Others find themselves taking care of their relatives children and then expand through word of mouth. People want to know that their young children will be well taken care of, fed nutritiously and entertained in a beneficial and educational manner. And as parents they're willing to pay big money for that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 12:05 pm
In college we had to do a similar project...from mainly focusing on the financial/ecomonic standpoint.

For some reason, I picked starting a day car business, which was strange since I have no interest in taking care of children.

In a way though, with the emotions of taking care of the little darlin's not a factor, I was able to concentrate on the nuts and bolts of the business.

I went to a Montessori school saying my sister was going to be moving into the area in a few months, and wanted to check out the possibilities. This was a number of years ago, but wow, was I surprised at the costs, etc.

Also seem to remember getting prices charged for other day care type places, and checking into that states requirements for licensing, staffing, etc.

What I came to the conclusion was that I personally would never be satified with the profits such a business would produce.

Also, I've known a few women that had their kids in day care, and I remember thinking how I couldn't stand the stress of taking care of their particular kids.

This one woman I was working with told me how every day when her son came home, she would check his underwear for blood, and would ask him questions has to how he was touched, etc.
This same woman would ask her son "What did you eat today?" He would say "Nothing"..... Rolling Eyes
Without keeping in mind how little kids can be (also, I suspect he may have been tired of the interrogations)...she would go to the day care center and accuse them of not feeding the kids.....well....obviously they had been, every day.

All it takes is one nutzy mom to slap a law suit on you. And it's not always the one who's obviously complaining either..

Just throwing that into the mix.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:28 pm
So, is this a school assignment? Are we doing sschick's homework? :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:35 pm
That's the impression I've been getting all along eoe....

Note how she says "only one person helped me yesterday" Like "c'mon guys no one giving me the info I need for my paper"

If this was someone looking for a career, I don't think the need would be as pressing. It's not like she has to decide what she's going to do for the rest of her life tomorrow. Maybe that's when her paper is due.

Maybe this will help....Google result of "starting a day care business"
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:39 pm
I've went on google to and no its not my homework. i juust needed more peoples advice because I got my teacher in my ear saying it's a stupid career. But yall can think what yall want. Thank you for the help.
yall have helped me alot. And they have alot of my other classmates who have posted on here about there careers. But once again thank you for the help!!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:40 pm
Chai, are you any good with this new math?
And my Social Studies paper is overdue as well....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:42 pm
I like your signature rockhead
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
Why thank you.
I have always been a "Beaver" fan as well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:47 pm
Sorry sschick, that we've offended you but many young people have tried it and we, as a whole, insist that you all do your own homework, just like we had to do ours!
I'm a southsidechick myself, by the way. A Chi-town southsidechick. Smile
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:48 pm
are yall trying to make a joke about this?
im a 17 year old A-B student. I only did this because it is a project in class I had all my information she just wanted us to ask an expert so I came to yall for help.
Well I see what this website is really about.
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:49 pm
well im from New Orleans.
Don't you think I've benn through enough?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:50 pm
Cheap shot little girl.
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
what ever yall are a bunch of adults messing with a teenager?
Don't yahll have any thing better to do than sit on a computer messing with people?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:59 pm
Can't speak fer anyone else, but No.

Just curious. Your teacher assigned you to find experts on the WEB for this project? Or is this the easiest place to look.
0 Replies

southsidechick90

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:01 pm
would you like me to post some thing to prove it?
I'm not a typical high school student looking for some one to do my homework.
I've did it on my own my whole life and now I'm a senior.
I just thouoght this would be a good website to get adults or other teens to help me out.
0 Replies