amenites/facilities

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:43 am
What is the difference between 'amenities' and 'facilities'.

After going through my dictionaries, I still cannot make out the difference.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,725 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:39 am
Basically the same meaning in everyday english Yoong.

Some might argue that amenities has connotations of more luxury. where facilities could be less luxurious.

The difference between a 5 star hotel bathroom and a public restroom is an example.

facility
Something designed, built, installed, etc., to serve a specific function affording a convenience or service: transportation facilities; educational facilities; a new research facility.
6. Often, facilities. Informal. a rest room, esp. one for use by the public, as in a theater or restaurant.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facility

Note the lack of reference to pleasure and comfort in the definition of facility
Note also that there can be differences in the meaning of facility (readiness or ease due to skill or aptitude) He had a great facility for auto repairs.

Amenity
2. any feature that provides comfort, convenience, or pleasure: The house has a swimming pool, two fireplaces, and other amenities.
3. the quality of being pleasing or agreeable in situation, prospect, disposition, etc.; pleasantness: the amenity of the Caribbean climate.
4. amenities, lavatory; bathroom: used as a euphemism.

Note the use of "pleasure" and "comfort" in the definition of amenity.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Amenity
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:24 am
Dadpad says it well.

"Facilities" are utilitarian, practical.

"Amenities" implies high-living among discriminating people. "Amenities" are much more trendy than "Facilities".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
In British English, a "civic amenity site" is what local government bodies genteelly call the local rubbish dump. These days you can take stuff for recycling too.

The Linford, Essex (It's near Thurrock) council website conveniently uses both the words enquired about.

"Linford Civic Amenity Site offers recycling facilities for anything electrical or electronic from the home" (You can recycle lots of other types of waste as well)

I agree that these days the two words are pretty well interchangeable, they just seem to mean "things you can use".
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:02 am
Thanks. everybody. No wonder, I'm so confused.
0 Replies