What's good for the goose will make the gander.... gay?

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:57 pm
My bread recipes also call for lard and sugar... guess they're not Italian. Learn something new every day.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:01 am
It definately is easier for girls to do "boy things". Look in the stores - any previously considered "boys things" like sports stuff now all come in pink!

My daughter has a pair of pink batting gloves. She has a Disney Princess Soccer ball.

Even my husband who encourages the girls to play sports, etc. would be against giving a boy a Barbie doll or other "girl" type toy. He didn't like it when his friend's son got a Barbie doll once for a present. This boy was 4 and part of triplets where he was the only boy. He wanted a Barbie doll like his sisters - his mom figured so what and gave him one along with the girls. My husband was horrified.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:23 am
I'm afraid the greater latitude given Girl Children dates back to the bad old days when Boys were expected to grow up and survive and support a family in a hard, cruel, censorious world.

Girls on the other hand were destined for protected lives--and had inferior minds and characters anyway. Therefore "deviant" behavior in girls wasn't nearly as threatening to the Natural Order.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:56 am
warning, tangent...

Mame wrote:
My bread recipes also call for lard and sugar... guess they're not Italian. Learn something new every day.

Set, I think it is a tipico Tuscan bread that is without salt, thus the three ingredients, flour, yeast, water. Hmmm, pane di Terni is saltless, and that's in Umbria. Ah, I found it, Pane Toscano or Pane Sciocco, saltless Tuscan bread.

Some italian bread has oil, lard, sugar, herbs, fruits, nuts, and so on.

My favorite bread book is Carol Field's The Italian Baker (recipes for the above in the book)
For anyone interested, available at a2k amazon link.. new and used from $11.47.

The Italian Baker
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm sure you know that if you substitute one tablespoon of cold white vinegar for one of the tablespoons of iced water in a pie crust recipe, you'll get a flakier, lighter crust, and you can roll it out thinner without worrying that it will break.

hopefully this post means there will be fresh Setanta-made pie when I get home ... would he bake a pie for his own birthday?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:38 pm
He will bake a cherry pie
In the twinkling of an eye...
..but he's a young thing
And cannot leave his mother.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:17 pm
It's his birthday!?

Give the birthday boy and extra squeeze from me.

Mmmmmm..... pie.

That's an interesting idea, Noddy, about girls having more freedom in such things because prince charming would eventually save them from themselves.

I'm going to think on that for a bit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
A jolly happy birthday to Setanta, and you too, ehBeth.
0 Replies