Predict how Osama will die

George

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:27 am
Ayman al-Zawahiri may be trying to maginalize bin Laden and certainly
seems to aspire that position of ideological leadership.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:30 am
Quote:
However, GDP is not the ONLY way of measuring power or impact. Right now the issue/question SEEMS to be who is the de facto ideological leader unifying force of the Islamic world ...or better put perhaps who is the leader of the Terrorist Islamic world?
Difficult to put a name on this because there isn't such a person. Even in that small portion of the Islamic world, Iran, Ahmadinejad is not an/the ideological leader (or policy leader). It serves PR interests to suggest he is (a personalized enemy is easy to 'understand') but it's a falsehood advanced for those PR reasons.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:46 am
Accidentally shot to death at a Texas quail hunt by former president Dick Cheney.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:51 am
Another thought: Is the goal of Islamic terrorists to WIN (what/however that entails) or just to bog down US?UK efforts badly? I realize while discussing this that it grossly over-simplifies matters and it serves no one to think of Islamic terrorists as a monolith.

What would Islamic terrorists winning mean? Would it be getting US/UK troops/influence out of Middle East? Or would it be to see Israel destroyed totally? Isn't their goal to destroy ALL infidels?

Conversely, how is any war in that area winnable by a democratic opponent? Is it a realistic goal to keep propping up a democracy in Iraq? These people and this area has no history and has little desire for a democracy. It's like trying to teach a pig to sing. It won't work and it annoys the pig. (I know ..I know...this analogy's not Halal or Kosher for that matter.)

What could be a realistic goal in Afghanistan or Pakistan - to keep trying to stamp out terrorists? The mere military presence there is enough to keep CREATING more terrorists for generations to come. Just ask the Russians about this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
Quote:
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." -- Gen. Jack D. Ripper

And I say to you that the great state
a Mississippi cannot afford four more
years a Pappy O'Daniel - four more
years a cronyism, nepotism, rascalism
and service to the Innarests! The
choice, she's a clear 'un: Pappy
O'Daniel, slave a the Innarests; Homer
Stokes, servant a the little man! Ain't
that right, little fella?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:30 am
ragman
Quote:
What would Islamic terrorists winning mean? Would it be getting US/UK troops/influence out of Middle East? Or would it be to see Israel destroyed totally? Isn't their goal to destroy ALL infidels?

As you said, thinking of these folks as monolithic is inaccurate. Again, that serves particular PR goals (where it isn't merely the consequence of an inability to hold more than one thought at one time in a simpleton's head).

But intention is only as important as it might be close to realistically achievable. Destroying all infidels is not, in any imaginable universe, even close to achievable. Totally destroying Israel is at least imaginable but so is designing the space shuttle to look like a 57 chevy. It would entail multiple nukes (not dirty bombs) and they would have to be launched and who (what state) will do that when conscious that the favor will be returned?
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 12:30 pm
I think it is worthwhile to consider the goals of Islamists (whether
terrorists or not) in regard to Islam itself first. It's not always about us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:16 pm
'roid rage.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:50 pm
Steroid or hemroid?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:55 pm
George wrote:
I think it is worthwhile to consider the goals of Islamists (whether
terrorists or not) in regard to Islam itself first. It's not always about us.

Yes.
0 Replies