Is full stop correct?

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:16 pm
Is it grammatically correct to write: "Since March 1996, Mr. A has been a loyal customer of Mr. B."?

Is it correct to put a full stop after 'B'? I think it's wrong because the question mark should mark the end of the sentence, not the full stop.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 451 • Replies: 5
No top replies

username

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 09:53 pm
"Since March..." is a sentence. It should end with a period (that's what the dreaded AmE calls it, "full stop" is Brit).

"It is grammatically..." is a question about the sentence above. It should end with a question mark outside the sentence about which the question is being asked. So it is correct the way you have it, with the period inside the quotes and the ? outside. But then asking the question about the question makes it sort of what would be called in logic a recursive loop.

You've got two nested sentences. The one inside the quotes ends with a period inside them. The question sentence naturally ends with a question mark, and that has to go outside the quotes, since the sentence within them is not a question. So, yes, you need two punctuation marks (or 3 depending on how you look at it): ."?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 11:43 pm
Boy, username, your explanation had me going in a loop there! Laughing

Is it grammatically correct to write: "Since March 1996, Mr. A has been a loyal customer of Mr. B."?

That query is puncutally correct.

"Since March 1996, Mr. A has been a loyal customer of Mr. B."

That statement is punctually correct.

You can often get the correct answer online - try this site...

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 11:55 pm
Thanks, Mame.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:01 am
Check out the site, Yoong. It's good and will save you time asking questions here and getting different answers.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:08 am
I appreciate the link you provided. It just shows how confusing punctuation is.

For your information, I've subscribed to the site and hope I'll be more well-informed about punctuation through the knowledge I gain from the tips provided by the site.

Once again, my heart-felt appreciation.
0 Replies