Bad Water in the Sticks - Best Bang for the Buck

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:08 am
I know a way to settle itGAry. Have the city run a Flouride ion test in the distribution station and then at Andy'shouse. F tests can be run cheaply. If theres a difference, (ie the home supply is below a 1ppm) then theres definatelly a l line leak.Flouride is fully conservative and wont drop off in solution unless its mixed with a different water thats inflowing

Cl disappears with aeration and light so it wont even make it to the lab.
Whereas F will be there and any difference of lessesning at the home is a sure sign of a leak or I/I problem.

I hadnt said anything about the Pb/Cu rule. I was focusing on the other ions and specifically MN which tells me that the systems leaking and were seeing manganese ions preciping in the system. Health concerns for Mn have been severely raised in the last few years when it was discovered to be a potential toxin to central nervous systems of kids..
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 09:50 am
Farmer, his water company may not be adding fluoride to their water.

You've said: Manganese is too high from a health standard and the water filters should handle that since its probably in a particulate form.

I can't recall but I don't think there is an MCL (maximum contaminate level) or even a SMCL (suggestedMCL) established by the US EPA for manganese. Is there?

Also, as I mentioned previously, a softener reduces/removes manganese. And a softener will prevent any particulate of manganese from getting through the resin bed. And the particulate will be backwashed out of the tank by most control valves/softeners.

ND-Water already has a softener that the latest water test has shown is allowing 3 gpg (was it) of hardness to remain in the water. That means it is not working correctly for whatever reason. If he needs to test for something, he can test the softened water for manganese but IMO, he does not need the aggravation and expense of a water analysis from a lab.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 01:44 pm
if pH is low, Mn is ionic and will go right through the filter. My understanding originally ws that it was particulate so yes you are right about the filter. But since, I thought he said his pH is low.

Mn MCL standards are being employed state by state. its 0.3 in Pa I believe.(act 2 standard), while EPA's tier II is 0.05 ppm
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm
I didn't know states were doing that, or that manganese was a health concern. Thanks.
0 Replies