A Person Without Heatlh Insurance Gets Sick

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 09:36 am
Optometry Schools in Canada

Quote:
The School of Optometry is one of the professional schools at the University of Waterloo. It is housed in the Faculty of Science. It is the larger of the two optometry schools in Canada, and the only facility for English-language optometry instruction in the country. (The Université de Montréal has a French-language optometry program.

Wikipedia

Is there a shortage of optometrists in Canada?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:11 am
Miller wrote:

Quote:
"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:20 am
Miller wrote:

Quote:
The School of Optometry is one of the professional schools at the University of Waterloo. It is housed in the Faculty of Science. It is the larger of the two optometry schools in Canada, and the only facility for English-language optometry instruction in the country. (The Université de Montréal has a French-language optometry program.

Wikipedia

Point of Information, Miller: You didn't say School of Optometry, you said College of Optometry, and College means something different here. Each province has a College of Physicians and Surgeons which oversees the registration and behaviour of doctors. There is also a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada which is a national body which oversees the qualifications of training centres and processes the examinations of training doctors.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:32 am
Mame wrote:
Miller wrote:

Quote:

Wikipedia

Point of Information, Miller: You didn't say School of Optometry, you said College of Optometry, and College means something different here. Each province has a College of Physicians and Surgeons which oversees the registration and behaviour of doctors. There is also a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada which is a national body which oversees the qualifications of training centres and processes the examinations of training doctors.

The programs in Optometry in the USA are offered in institutions that refer to themselves as either a School of Optometry ( Doctorate at Pacfic U )
or as a College of Optometry ( Penn, NE, SUNY for example ).
In the USA, it makes no difference as both Schools and Colleges of Optometry offer the Doctorate in this medical field.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:34 am
Why are there only 2 institutions for the study of optometry in Canada?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:45 am
Miller wrote:
Why are there only 2 institutions for the study of optometry in Canada?

Canada has a population of 33,390,141 and two schools of optometry. The United States have a population of 301,139,947 and 17 schools of optometry.

That amounts to one school per 16,695,071 in Canada and one school per 17,714,115 in the United States. So, more schools per person in Canada.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:46 am
This proves again that it isn't easy to compare some things in a foreign country and raising the same bar as at home

Optometry e.g. in primarily a trade requiring an apprenticeship (see vocational education at wikipedia , but taught at several universities of applied sciences, too. (Five universities plus five academies here in Germany.)

However, you usually go there only after you've seen an ophthalmologists.

Besides that, eye examinations and refractions are done free here at any optometrist's - either to be seen as a promotional service or after-sales service.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
Old Europe - surely you are too intelligent to compare present day America to Dickens' England?

Please correct me if I am mistaken, but isn't being overweight one of the primary health problems in the United States?

I normally do not like to repeat myself in threads, but I will here. No matter how much money Washington gives to the "poor", it will never be enough. There is no amount of money to satisfy the poor, the professional victims, and their professional politician advocates. Just look at the current crop of Democratic Presidential candidates. Its hard to keep track of all of their promises:

- A $5000 bond to each child born
- Free health care to everyone
- Free preschool for all children
- Free child care for everyone
- Matching 401k savings for everyone

And even if the Government was somehow able to afford these give aways, even this wouldn't be enough.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:25 pm
Same here, Walter. I just had an eye exam at an optometrist and they charged me nothing, hoping I would buy a pair of glasses.
0 Replies