Real football anyone?

the prince

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:00 am
GD, did you see Beckham's press conf before the match ???

Jeez, why do they allow him to opne his mouth infront of the cameras ??
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:46 am
G - I missed it due to wasting time trying to find a pub with a big-screen and some seats! What did the monkey say this time? I have also heard rumours that him & her are splitting up as she doesn;t like Madrid and he does. It's a shame if they do, for the kids' sake if nothing else, but didn't she think of this before he transfered?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:40 pm
Really Grand Duke, do you want Scotland and Wales in the Eurocup?
UK nationalism over taste for football, I see.

Scotland is the typical humble team with rather friendly and fun to watch fans, who often qualifies but never manages to do anything after that. They even managed to lose against Costa Rica in World Cup 1990.
I do like the Scottish team, but its oldfashioned football has nothing to do with the one played by The Netherlands.

Wales, to put it plainly, has been very lucky in this tournament.

___

On an aside, since we're talking about world football here: did anyone here notice that the World Cup South America qualifiers are already on their way?
This weekend Colombia lost it's third game out of three. They lost a home game against Venezuela, South America's football ugly duckling. That's news to me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:51 pm
I have two girls and watched three matches over the weekend. My younger daughter didn't fare so well, losing two games by combined score of 6-1, with an own goal thrown in.

My older daughters team, winless on the season, pulled off the upset of the week against a team that had clobbered them twice before, winning 1-0 on sheer force of will and some nifty goaltending. Hats off to them.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 04:58 pm
You are to be commended, cjhsa.

As a former soccer dad, with more than 800 games watched over a stretch of 17 years, I can see you still have the thrill of the first years. May you keep it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 02:33 am
fbaezer wrote:
Really Grand Duke, do you want Scotland and Wales in the Eurocup?
UK nationalism over taste for football, I see.

I did like the goal the Scots got against the Dutch, though. It actually looked like it had been scored by world-class professionals!

In a perverted way, I'd like to see them get quite far, then crash out badly. The Scots & Welsh love to hate the English, and we respond by mainly ignoring them. Which winds them up even more! I like watching Ryan Giggs as well, which is a reason to see Wales get further than normal. Apparently he had the option of playing for England (solving the old left-wing problem) but Graham Taylor told him when he was young that he would never be good enough, so he played for Wales (and then it's too late to change). Half of the England squad will be banned for drugs and sex scandals by the time the cup starts, so there's not much danger of England doing well either...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 03:35 am
GD, lets put it this way - our captain is not one of the most erudite people around !!!

Yeah I heard abt her highness not being happy in Madrid as well - which I find a bit strange - considering her career and popularity are almost not existant in UK as well.....
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:37 am
G - was it along the lines of: "Well, you know, it's an important game... and we think that we can win, because, you know, it's an important game, you know, and there's been some problems with players, you know, and we can win becase it's an important game?"
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 05:39 pm
The Netherlands 6, Scotland 0.
Waters are back to their level.
Sorry for the nice Scottish fans.

Wales 0, Russia 1
Logic prevails.

The only surprise: Latvia qualifies at the expense of Turkey.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 03:26 am
Grand Duke wrote:
(although they won't be as happy when they get hammered in Amsterdam on the return leg)

I hate to say I told them so, but...!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 03:32 am
margo wrote:
Why restrict it to round ball (and tedium)

England are currently rated as the top team for the Rugby World Cup, starting in October, here. Bah, humbug!

And Oz has just been beaten by those bloody All-Blacks again! The Wallabies have to improve their game to have any chance of holding on to that cup! Confused

They improved!
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:18 pm
Probably this thread can be revive?

Because unfortunaly Arsenal's series is stopped by ManchesterUnited.

2:0
Nistelrooy and Rooney

Match Report by The Guardian
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:26 am
Thanks for the link, Thok. I watched the match, and it was a fairly entertaining game, but of all the teams in the Premier League, it HAD to be soddin' Man Utd who ended Arsenal's run. I had a bit of money on the 0-0 score as well. Damn!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
This even made fairly big news here in the States. Front page mention of a page 7 story in the San Francisco Chronicle.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/10/24/sports1316EDT0235.DTL
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:48 am
Thanks for that, cjhsa. Can you get European football matches on TV over your way?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:39 pm
Occasionally, if you know where to look on the satellite guide. We do see a lot of Mexican futbol carried here in CA.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
Serious foulplay at the game vs. Arsenal :

Van Nistelrooy charged by FA

Quote:
Manchester United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy has been charged with serious foul play by the Football Association following his tackle on Ashley Cole in yesterday's 2-0 win over Arsenal at Old Trafford.

The FA has also announced it will ask Arsene Wenger to explain comments he made after the match about Van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley, and will investigate reports of a fracas in the tunnel after the match, when an Arsenal player allegedly threw a cup of soup at Sir Alex Ferguson.

A statement released today said: "The FA has charged Manchester United's Ruud van Nistelrooy with a breach of FA Rule E3 for serious foul play. The charge relates to an incident involving Ashley Cole during the match between Manchester United and Arsenal on Sunday, 24 October 2004.

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been asked to explain his post-match comments about Van Nistelrooy and referee Mike Riley.

"The FA is also looking into reports of an alleged incident in the tunnel after the match."

Under the FA's new fast-track disciplinary system, Van Nistelrooy's case will be dealt with on Thursday. If found guilty, the Dutch striker could face a three-match ban.

Source
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2004 05:44 am
Thanks again Thok. I saw the slo-mo footage of this kick, and it could have broken Cole's leg if it'd been any harder.
0 Replies