Real football anyone?

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:51 am
Those of us living on a small island near Europe have already been treated to the first weekend of the Premiership. Is there much footy talk going on in here? Can English football survive without Beckham? Will Middlesbrough get the long-awaited (and much deserved) double? Should we let the Scots come & join us? Get posting!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,263 • Replies: 97
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:03 am
Several years back, one of the American NFL teams was disembarking in London where they would be playing an exhibiton game. I forget the team, but, as with all NFL teams, it had its fair share of behemoths.

There was an elderly English gentleman watching the players come off the plane. He was calmly puffing on his pipe and turned to a nearby reporter and said, "My God! They're so bloody thick!"

I guess this doesn't tie into your question about English football, but I saw an opportunity to sneak my story in, and I seized it.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:24 am
You can sneak in as many stories as you want, mate, as long as it's football related. From your name can I deduce you are of Germanic stock? There have been some games played where we don't need to discuss the results!

I'm not even set on an English-only discussion - any old football will do (as long as the ball is round)!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:29 am
Man U ofcourse !! And they will definately survive the loss of Beckham !!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:36 am
Beckham leaving can only be good for the English game in general, as it brings the kind of experience to the national team that you only get playing with the likes of Figo etc. I was always amazed that Steve McManaman & Owen Hargreaves were the only half-decent English player to play abroad (and McManaman doesn't even get a game for England).

As for the Premiership, no way can Man U win this year! C'mon Boro!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:13 am
Yes I agree re Beckham's transfer to Real.

But Middlesbrough winning the premiership ???? Shocked
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 09:43 am
If only they could recapture the form that saw them the only team all season to beat Man U at Old Trafford a few years ago...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:01 pm
My Vote is Man U. But I'd rather watch Real.

Alas my Corinthians are horrible.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:03 pm
Why restrict it to round ball (and tedium)

England are currently rated as the top team for the Rugby World Cup, starting in October, here. Bah, humbug!

And Oz has just been beaten by those bloody All-Blacks again! The Wallabies have to improve their game to have any chance of holding on to that cup! Confused
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:36 pm
Is Sheffield Wednesday back in the Premier League?
If not. Is Nottingham Forest?
Anyway, I'll root (lightly) for the underdog. [My European football interest lies in Italy and Spain]
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:04 pm
Graham, I know football is the English national winter game and each team has it's tribal following, but watching football is like banging your head against a brick wall. It's nice when you stop.
Nope, I'll stick with Rugby Union Football and the up coming world cup.
David Beckham ? Good luck to him, but nahhhhh
Football is for kids and women.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
As soon as I push these boobs out of the way and put on my diaper I'm off to play a match.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:39 pm
He really is wearing wings.

WHY?

Good on yer about the boobs in the vicinity, though.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:17 pm
oldandknew wrote:

Hence the.. nemind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:19 pm
Oh.

Heh.

Well, can't blame me with the diaper talk in the "period" thread and then the whole "using" wings loop.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:27 am
oldandknew wrote:

Well (draws breath), if football is for women & kids, then rugby (league or union) is for public school twats & unemployed Northern coal-miners. So there!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:29 am
There might be a weak pun with 'wings' there somewhere, given the football link, but I'm too tired to think of one just now.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 05:44 am
Oh Graham, do I sense a touch of angst in your post or are you merely trotting out well worn and out dated sentiments.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 06:55 am
Touche, OAK! I always like a rhetorical question in a debate. I do think though that 'football is for kids & women' would qualify as a well-worn & out-dated sentiment! Sports debate would be nothing without hackneyed cliches & mixed metaphors...

Truth be told, I don't mind rugby at all. I just prefer football.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 07:00 am
There you go Graham. Excellent post. I used to go to Highbury quite often & I've watched a lot of football on TV but I like the intensity of rugby and as a game it grabs me more readily.
0 Replies