Employees too open with complaints – a good thing?

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:15 am
I am in middle management so I have direct reports and indirect reports. I also pull together the assignments for my group (includes individuals I report to, peers, and lower levels) so I tend to get constructive comments (which I readily look for) and often times complaints - basically a thankless job.

The odd thing is many indirect reports (2 levels below me), seem to not have an issue to complain to me. Is this a good thing? Is it that I am so open and have made myself so available, they feel they can come directly to me rather than manager? Or is this a sign of disrespect?

A couple of examples - it appeared to others for some odd reason that one individual has been taking more than their allocated time off. When notice was sent that this individual was going to be out, I received a forwarded email that was full of sarcasm - stating along the lines of will I be able to get as much vacation as so and so next year? As an aside this person has not taken more time off (she has many years at the company so is entitled to more vacation time). Another time this employee (not the first time), sends me an email stating he thinks he has too much as he is taking a week off of vacation. Since the assignments are reviewed and approved by managers, my peers and my superiors and I am fully aware of who has vacation time it was out of line. I had to repeatedly send emails to him on what is expected at his level to get coverage. I call the above types of complaints as CLM - career limiting moves.

So is it I am disrespected or is it simply I am so open, they feel they can make CLM without repercussions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,005 • Replies: 18
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:40 am
Sounds almost like they are disrespecting their direct manager if they are going over their heads to you in order to complain. If you respond firmly that (in first case) some people have earned more vacation by being here longer and (in 2nd case) vacation was taken into account when making assignments, I suspect you will get fewer complaints from this person. Does he feel that you two are close? It sounds like he thinks you are friends and can do this sort of thing outside of normal company communication.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:19 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Sounds almost like they are disrespecting their direct manager if they are going over their heads to you in order to complain. If you respond firmly that (in first case) some people have earned more vacation by being here longer and (in 2nd case) vacation was taken into account when making assignments, I suspect you will get fewer complaints from this person. Does he feel that you two are close? It sounds like he thinks you are friends and can do this sort of thing outside of normal company communication.

These are actually two different individuals. In the first case, the vacation guy - I do believe he feels we are close - and they may be why he sent it. It was shocking to me as this person is usually very professional and I have high regard for him. He did apologize to me later on and said he sent it out of frustration.

The second guy is just an idiot in my opinion. He doesn't work in my tree, but the way our department works you can have work reviewed by others that are not in your reporting tree and I am responsible for doling out the assignments. This isn't the first incident with this bozo.

I mean how dumb can you be to offend some one who helps decide your raise, bonus and promotions? In our dept as we work across reporting lines, the managers meet as a team to discuss individuals, their developments, and their compensation. It isn't a secret. Well I know this person is going to be rewarded appropriately come December.

I am just using those couple above as examples - there are more. I am a bit frustrated myself, with all the changes and stuff going on - but why do they have to complain to me?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:27 am
Do you know if some of the other managers are also getting complaints? Is there a general problem with communication in your company? In my experience, unless people are just pains in the ass, folks start complaining and looking for injustices when they feel like they are not involved or considered in decision making or that they have no input. Also, if there is a strong hierarchy and a "us and them" feeling between management and staff that can contribute to negative feelings.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:40 am
Actually you could be right - on the complaining side. Lots of stuff is going on - some people moving to NH, some to TX and some staying. Everything is up in the air right now - what work is going where? What assignments? Why aren't they backfilling for those who have left? Lots of uncertainty and stress among everyone from my boss' level (at least) downward.

I know some of this acting unprofessional, complaining about stupid things - people talking too loud, this person getting easier work, etc. is probably a result of the uncertainty rather than the actual complaints.

Perhaps they also feel comfortable with me as I will tell them whatever I know that is o-k to tell and will let them know if I can't tell them, etc. I am very straight-forward about what I do know (and don't for that matter).

But still that last guy is just an idiot - some of the others are probably just frustrated.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 10:26 am
That sounds about right. The one guy is probably always a jackass, everyone else is reacting to stress. The combination of jackass and global crankiness is making you question things. In general, I think it's good if people feel like they can come to you with complaints. You may be their lifeline, so to speak, or someone who makes them feel connected to the company.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 10:33 am
Well I'll look at it as a sign of they feel comfortable with me rather than they are disrepectful of my position - thinking they need a "safe" area to vent rather than thinking I am some one they can take advantage of.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:19 am
Linkat wrote:
I know some of this acting unprofessional, complaining about stupid things - people talking too loud, this person getting easier work, etc. is probably a result of the uncertainty rather than the actual complaints.

Sounds like people aren't invested in the company anymore - they don't trust the corporation.

You may be the only person/thing there that they still trust. As I read your initial comments, I thought that people were showing their trust in/respect for you, not any disrespect.

~~~

I can tell you that if the company isn't back-filling jobs, that a lot more people are looking for work - actively and passively - than you can spot from your desk. They're scared, want something stable in their worklife - they hope it is you.

(has the company provided training to you on how to deal with all the reactions to change that managers should be identifying and reacting to?)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:53 am
ehBeth wrote:
... As I read your initial comments, I thought that people were showing their trust in/respect for you, not any disrespect.

~~~

I can tell you that if the company isn't back-filling jobs, that a lot more people are looking for work - actively and passively - than you can spot from your desk. They're scared, want something stable in their worklife - they hope it is you.

(has the company provided training to you on how to deal with all the reactions to change that managers should be identifying and reacting to?)

I read it as a sign of respect to you as well. I agree wholeheartedly that the company should be providing all levels of management training on handling the natural stress and upheavals of the transition.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 02:20 pm
Linkat--

I agree. Your underlings--and the minions of your underlings--trust you.

Be pleased. Then tear your hair out.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:01 pm
One thing for them to consider is that their emails to you aren't necessarily private, especially if they are using company computers and company email systems. They don't feel comfortable making their comments to their immediate supervisors so they found someone who hasn't set boundaries and make use of it. One thing they and you should consider is that it is possible the company (like many companies) is monitoring internal emails. They aren't doing themselves any favors by making such comments to others via email.

Why do they feel comfortable making the comments to you? Do they feel you will pass on internal/insider details to them that they don't ordinarily have access to? Do they feel you will take the information and ensure something is investigated/corrected? Do they use you to hide behind so it isn't viewed as them being the instigators?

Be leery of it turning into gossip. This could be trouble.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
Sadly, no training has been provided. The head of our department was/is concerned about many individuals that have left - many of those that have left are ones whose jobs are not moving. She has asked our opinions, which most of us have freely given, but nothing has really been done or said to help the anxiety. I only know so much so I can only relay what I know.

Those that aren't moving are concerned that in a few years, they will not have jobs at all. They also are not being compensated in any way as their jobs are not being affected. Those whose jobs are moving will be paid a retention bonus whether they move or not if they are still in their jobs on a certain date - for obvious reasons - they need some one to do the job.

They are not back filling because the budget is uncertain for next year. It seems that the budget is supposed to be the same as this year - which would mean no one would get raises - to compensate for that, the department head has decided not to back fill until at least the final budget is determined.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:35 am
Thanks all - it does make me feel better. Between the stress with my husband's business, the stress with my family, the stress of the potential move and dealing with everyone else's stress, I cannot think straight. Pretty much living day by day right now.

I agree Butrflynet. I am trying to keep my head on it. I suppose by writing this stuff here in A2k, it helps me from discussing with others internally as I also need to vent. I want to avoid gossip as it isn't productive - I will forward emails or speak with any individual managers though if I feel certain things are inappropriate simply so they can be aware, address and coach their reports.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:37 am
Work bites. People who play suck up to the boss should be taken out and bullwhipped in the parking lot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
Linkat wrote:
Thanks all - it does make me feel better. Between the stress with my husband's business, the stress with my family, the stress of the potential move and dealing with everyone else's stress, I cannot think straight. Pretty much living day by day right now.

I haven't had any specific advice but wanted to say that yeah, I was thinking you must be way too stressed out with all the stuff that's been happening to you lately, and wanted to offer some sympathy. Hope that things get smoother from here on out.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:25 am
I appreciate it sozobe.

I did have one uplifting experience today. A very good analyst asked me for feedback today on prior cycle work. He does not report directly to me, but I did review his work last cycle. It was so refreshing to be able to write positive remarks - I wrote probably much more than he was seeking - I think it was therapeutic for me. I am hoping he will get a promotion soon as he is some one who certainly deserves it. Hopefully feedback like this will help to push his promotion through.

On the negative side - we received a newsletter today. In it, with all the moves, it talked about space. They are now going to only allow VPs to have offices; others will be in cubes - and even moving others to smaller cubes. To me it is a small thing, but small things can deflate people even more when things are uncertain.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:28 am
Linkat wrote:
I appreciate it sozobe.

I did have one uplifting experience today. A very good analyst asked me for feedback today on prior cycle work. He does not report directly to me, but I did review his work last cycle. It was so refreshing to be able to write positive remarks - I wrote probably much more than he was seeking - I think it was therapeutic for me. I am hoping he will get a promotion soon as he is some one who certainly deserves it. Hopefully feedback like this will help to push his promotion through.

On the negative side - we received a newsletter today. In it, with all the moves, it talked about space. They are now going to only allow VPs to have offices; others will be in cubes - and even moving others to smaller cubes. To me it is a small thing, but small things can deflate people even more when things are uncertain.

I used to have an office. I've been in a cublcle since 2001. Cubicle land sucks. They treat professionals like assembly line workers these days.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:06 pm
I just got an office -- I miss my cube. But I understand, Linkat, this will definitely make people feel even less valued.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
So I have a direct report - he was out sick the past few days - supposedly he have nothing due except one item which I ended up covering.

Find out today from my boss - he had a couple of other things due to her which he never followed up on or made sure was covered. Then he went to lunch instead of going to a meeting where his presence was important - it wasn't a meeting I was involved in, but my boss was and he never said anything - just didn't show up.

Looks like I have to kick him in the a$$.

I suspect he has gotten another job and isn't telling us yet.
0 Replies