What the Hell? Give me your money not your vote.

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:12 am
I find it kid of ridiculous that Barack Obama is having a fundraiser in St. Thomas USVI on November 5th at the Ritz Carlton. I've heard that it is a $1,000 per person event to attend. Although we are considered a United States Territory and pay our taxes to them, we are not allowed to vote in presidential elections. Any other thoughts on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,689 • Replies: 24
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:15 am
Re: What the Hell? Give me your money not your vote.
islandgirl wrote:
I find it kid of ridiculous that Barack Obama is having a fundraiser in St. Thomas USVI on November 5th at the Ritz Carlton. I've heard that it is a $1,000 per person event to attend. Although we are considered a United States Territory and pay our taxes to them, we are not allowed to vote in presidential elections. Any other thoughts on this?

Be happy that you're not allowed to vote in federal elections. That means that you can't be complicit.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:23 am
That photo really brings back the memories, joe. I was working as a grip when that documentary was made. It took days of patient instruction before Harrison had Peter Boyle playing the ragga just right.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 11:30 am
The bad part is electronic voting machines have made "write in" voting very difficult. Poor Mickey Mouse.... he used to get quite a number of consistent votes back in the "old days". Laughing

Halfback
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 11:52 am
I find it odd that you would be angry over a politician finally interested in including the VI in the election process.

http://www.onepaper.com/stcroixvi/?v=d&i=&s=News:Local&p=1201843343

Barack Obama Will Bring Presidential Campaign to St. Thomas
by Source staff

Oct. 23, 2007 -- Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama will be the guest of honor at a big-ticket event Nov. 5 at the Ritz-Carlton on St. Thomas.
Organizers say the visit is not only a campaign fund raiser but also a demonstration of the candidate's interest in the region.
"This event has been planned for a long time," said V.I. Democratic State Chair Cecil Benjamin, one of the organizers of the visit. "Obama is interested in our problems, and this is a way for him to show he is interested."
The visit is a collaboration between Puerto Rico Democratic State Chair Roberto Pratts and the Virgin Islands, Benjamin said. Obama will spend some time in the territory before going to Puerto Rico.
Presidential candidates "can no longer ignore the Caribbean," Benjamin said, and both Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands may be poised "for the first time to be part of American politics." With its population of approximately four million, Puerto Rico is an important player in the presidential nomination, he said.
The reception starts at 8 a.m. Nov. 5 at the Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas. RSVPs are required. A donation of $2,300 will make the donor a "Friend of Obama for America," while $1,000 will make the donor a "Guest of Obama for America." The total an individual can contribute per presidential election is $2,300.
The local host committee includes Michael Bornn, Amos Carty, Julie Cassinelli and Sebastiano Paiewonsky Cassinelli, Josefina and Ricardo Charaf, Tom Crane, Marjorie Roberts and Daryl Dodson, Carol Nicholson Fulp and Bernard Fulp, Waring Partridge and Catherine York.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 02:01 pm
I find it odd that you think that I am angry about his fundraiser. It would be nice to have a vote in a presidential election. I do think that it is odd to campaign in an area without a vote. I also was curious as to other peoples thoughts. I appreciate yours.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 02:24 pm
Be grateful for small blessings Island Girl. Hawaii was given statehood much to the dismay of the rightful owners, the Hawaii people, and subsequently turned Oahu into a nuclear munititons dump.

If for reason there is a major nuclear accident there goes the Pacific Rim. It isn't called the Rim of Fire for naught. This is only one of many reasons we shouldn't be there

I am an activist and firmly convinced that Hawaii should be returned to its people.

I'm not looking for a political debate, just stating the facts.

The quandry is how to correct the destruction brought to the Sandwich Island by missionaries who destroyed the Hawaiian lifestyle and opened the doors to explotation by American business interests.

Frankly, the only difference here is that Hawaii is a state, VI is not .
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
Buuuuuuut, that is 4 million votes if congress can figure out how to give the Carribean constituancy the vote without giving them statehood.

Would this require a constitutional ammendment, which would take a long time, or is there is another way. Or can congress pass a resolution impowering the people of PR & VI.

Gotta be something afoot.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:37 pm
Sglass, or in my mind I refer to you as Sea Glass, one of the most precious of our over used society returned in the form of a gem.

I'm not familiar with the destruction that you have described to me in Hawaii. But if you are an activist, you have another listener. I do hear what you are saying, and if true, very scary. I haven't had time to researdh myself, but will soon out of respect.
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 08:08 pm
Sglass:

For correctness purposes only... the Pacific Rim, as an economical term, refers to those Countries starting with New Zealand and working clockwise to the Koreas and Russia on the Bearing Straight.

For geographical purposes, I suppose the term could also be extended to include the US West Coast, Alaska, Western Canada and Mexico and all the Central and South American Countries bordering the Pacific.

Hawaii is hardly on the "Rim", either way you look at it.

Hawaii was given the chance to become a State and they took the offer. Puerto Rico has been made the offer in the past and has preferred to remain the way they are.

I am uncertain about the Virgin Islands.

Halfback
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:18 pm
Half Back,

I would like to bring to your attention that Hawaii, the Sandwich Islands, are indeed included as part of the Pacific Rim. My reference was geological.

I thought that I made it clear in my post that I am not interested in getting involved in trite political dialogs.

Sg
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:52 pm
It is not political.... Hawaii is not the RIM... possibly the hub, but assuredly not the rim.

I read your initial disclaimer..... me read good! :wink:

Halfback
0 Replies

Halfback

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:57 pm
I checked it out. I stand corrected...... Hawaii is, indeed, considered part of the Pacific Rim group of entities. Who wouldda guessed? Confused

My humblest apologies for calling you out on it. My bad! Embarrassed

Halfback
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:12 am
blatham wrote:
That photo really brings back the memories, joe. I was working as a grip when that documentary was made. It took days of patient instruction before Harrison had Peter Boyle playing the ragga just right.

That sounds like a great story. I only wish I knew what you were talking about. My avatar picture (special for Halloween) is a publicity still from Son of Frankenstein, with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:50 am
It struck me, though not you, that Lugosi in this photo looks the spitting image of George Harrison. A 'raga' (I misspelled it) is a Hindi musical structure/form (as in Harrison's sitar stuff). And Peter Boyle played Frankenstein in the Wilder film.

Boy, the joke is even funnier now.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:07 am
Island Girl,

As an introduction to Hawaii in general I would suggest James Mitchner's Hawaii.

There are historical inaccuracies, but all in all a very good read.

Sg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
blatham wrote:
It struck me, though not you, that Lugosi in this photo looks the spitting image of George Harrison. A 'raga' (I misspelled it) is a Hindi musical structure/form (as in Harrison's sitar stuff). And Peter Boyle played Frankenstein in the Wilder film.

Boy, the joke is even funnier now.

Here's a graphic representation that depicts my reaction to your initial post:

Your joke
|
|
|
|
|
My head

You need to put some subtle hints in your posts that warn the clue-deprived among us that you are making a joke. Perhaps adding "nyuck nyuck nyuck" as a postscript. That would be a big help.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:00 pm
Well, joe...the other option is further education such that your head isn't down there. What is "nyuck" in the latin?

http://www.thegamegallery.com/catalog/cardboard/pics/SU-273.jpg
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:07 pm
Island Girl,

Looks like you got your political thread hi-jacked by the "Good Old Boy Network" :wink:

Sg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm
Sglass wrote:
Island Girl,

Looks like you got your political thread hi-jacked by the "Good Old Boy Network" :wink:

Sg

Guilty as charged.

I'm afraid it isn't news for a dominating and resource-extracting political/economic/military power to take effective ownership and control of an external territory and then treating the people there like kitchen staff.
0 Replies