5
   

Am I too old and fat to become an actress?

 
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 02:26 pm
So Drink..

I take it you are a member of SAG then?
0 Replies
 
DrinkCleanNoww
 
  1  
Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 05:22 pm
No I am not a member of SAG. I will be when I sign with the talent agency next year.

Nice how is your voice? You might get an opera gig, I hear fat ladies can sing Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing
0 Replies
 
Tai Chi
 
  1  
Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:32 pm
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
No I am not a member of SAG. I will be when I sign with the talent agency next year.

Nice how is your voice? You might get an opera gig, I hear fat ladies can sing Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing


Mad
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:16 pm
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
No I am not a member of SAG. I will be when I sign with the talent agency next year.

And you think other people should have realistic dreams... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies
 
DrinkCleanNoww
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:59 am
yo
There is a difference; SAG is not in any of my dreams, but it sure will help me achieve them.
0 Replies
 
caribou
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:33 pm
Nice,
I'm sorry that Drink has taken over your thread with his/her bad vibes and attention getting ways.

I hope you listen to what other people are saying and take Drink's comments with the grain of salt outlook that they deserve.


Can anyone say troll?
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  1  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 02:05 pm
Nice,
first off, as someone already said, 165 pounds at 5'5 is definitely NOT fat! But even if you were 185, that should not matter. Certainly not in local theatre or whatnot.
You could look around for local auditions at various theatre groups, try out for one or two seasons (while keeping a full time job) and see how you like it. It involves a lot of stress and yelling, as well as lots of good times, and it would give you a good idea of what's in the store for you. From there, you can be building your portfolio, going for bigger roles, looking into TV and film... but I'd start small, with theatre.
Most actors that I know who do work in theatre productions here in Boston do have full time day jobs though, and I think you'd have to have one for at least the first few years to make it.

Whether for living or just for fun, do go ahead and try it out! I did and I love every minute of it. Do not let people tell you you can't do it. You'll only know that IF you try... and chances are good that you will find yourself in it, too.
0 Replies
 
DrinkCleanNoww
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:00 pm
Caribou two wrongs don't make a right. Troll Laughing



Nice and Dagmaraka:
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women. At 165lbs and standing at 5ft 5in, Nice your Body Mass Index is a whopping 27.5. Which is considered Overweight. You are 2.5 points away from being considered Obese by the Department of Health and Human Services Shocked


Idea
Check out your BMI:
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/results_overweight.htm?pounds=165&inches=65
0 Replies
 
dagmaraka
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:16 pm
so what?

it still doesn't matter for what Nice wants to do. and I still wouldn't make fun of somebody based on their weight. It's in poor taste.
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:32 pm
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
Caribou two wrongs don't make a right. Troll Laughing



Nice and Dagmaraka:
Body mass index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight that applies to both adult men and women. At 165lbs and standing at 5ft 5in, Nice your Body Mass Index is a whopping 27.5. Which is considered Overweight. You are 2.5 points away from being considered Obese by the Department of Health and Human Services Shocked



1. That may be considered overweight by today's standards, but it hasn't always been so. It's all relative.

2. Don't believe everything you read. Governments and such are always revising their opinions.

3. I still don't think 165 lbs at 5'5" is fat, much less nearly obese. That's ludicrous.

4. Bone structure and weight was not taken into account, nor was muscle for that BMI.

5. BMI can go to hell, as far as I'm concerned. Who gives a flying shite?

What's much more important is self-image, overall health, and attitude.
0 Replies
 
DrinkCleanNoww
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:40 am
dagmaraka
Where did you get me making fun about her weight? I have not made fun of her.

Mame
Don't trust your government? I hope you have your own garden and use a bicycle for your transportation. Government provides almost all the structure in our lives, silly for you to run around and say Don't trust them. Get out and vote, that may change your views.
You are right, that may be overweight by today's standards, and it has not always been so. If you take a pair of jeans that was a size 3 10 years ago and hold it up to a size 3 today, the size 3 jean today will be equivalent to the size 5 jean 10 years ago. The standard has gotten larger wider heavier however you want to call it. 10 years ago 165lbs at 5'5 would be consider obese.
Government revises their opinions because weight has become a national pandemic. They are learning about our lack of control as some balloon to the 500lb. 34% of Americans are Obese. In 1999 61% of adult men and women were overweight or obese. I do not think that percentage went down. If it has show us all.
Self Image, John Candy and Chris Farley had it all but not the self image. This is why John Candy ate himself to death and Chris Farley Overdosed
Overall Health, how can you say BMI can go to hell if you think overall health is important. BMI helps guide you to a healthier way of life.
Its all relative
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:26 pm
Ignorance at its finest there, Drink, your knowledge of the history of weight and BMI in this country is about as informed as how you think the industry works....


You didn't understand my dig about being SAG. I found your answer quite funny however. Do you really think that getting an agent makes you SAG? Or are you suggesting that you can become SAG without meeting the requirements to join? But the fact that you think just wanting an agent will somehow get you one is quite humorous.

Size 3 in women's clothes? Rolling Eyes Let alone thinking that sizes have changed in 10 years. Sorry bud, but you don't know the first thing about clothing, history, or the biz.
0 Replies
 
cyphercat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:52 pm
parados wrote:

Let alone thinking that sizes have changed in 10 years.

Yeah, ten years sure doesn't sound right to me. I've heard something similar about a 3 now being what a 5 was some time ago, but it wasn't as recently as ten years ago. I was the exact same height/weight/clothing size ten years ago as I am now.
0 Replies
 
DrinkCleanNoww
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:51 am
Cypher Parados, you are right it was 1993, which is 14 years ago.

Parados you should not assume it makes an ass out of you and me.
I did not say anything you said

I helped out in the production of the B movie film Horrors of War (http://www.horrorsofwarmovie.com/) check it out Columbus International Film Festival, did 2 gym commercials with no dialog, have been taking classes to network and meet people to achieve goals and learn. CAM talent is a talent agency in town that would like me to commit. I cannot right now because of the ARMY and the DEPLOYMENT. When I get back I will sign with them to get more work and exposure. I will also meet the requirements to join SAG to join the union when I get back as well.

Parados our of all the replies that I have received on my comments, yours have been the worst. Congratulations, you are an idiot.
0 Replies
 
Mame
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 11:53 am
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:

Mame
Don't trust your government? I hope you have your own garden and use a bicycle for your transportation. Government provides almost all the structure in our lives, silly for you to run around and say Don't trust them. Get out and vote, that may change your views.
You are right, that may be overweight by today's standards, and it has not always been so. If you take a pair of jeans that was a size 3 10 years ago and hold it up to a size 3 today, the size 3 jean today will be equivalent to the size 5 jean 10 years ago. The standard has gotten larger wider heavier however you want to call it. 10 years ago 165lbs at 5'5 would be consider obese.
Government revises their opinions because weight has become a national pandemic. They are learning about our lack of control as some balloon to the 500lb. 34% of Americans are Obese. In 1999 61% of adult men and women were overweight or obese. I do not think that percentage went down. If it has show us all.
Self Image, John Candy and Chris Farley had it all but not the self image. This is why John Candy ate himself to death and Chris Farley Overdosed
Overall Health, how can you say BMI can go to hell if you think overall health is important. BMI helps guide you to a healthier way of life.
Its all relative


"You ask, Do you trust your government?" LOL Don't be a noodle. Govt is only people who are in charge... doesn't mean they know dick. I worked with enough doctors, professors, engineers and other "professionals" to know that 'educated' people can be just as stupid, ill-informed, and blind as anyone else, so NO, I do NOT trust my government.

BMI is only one factor in good health. A good self-esteem is just as important and what you were doing is eroding Nice's. Bad girl! Give yourself a slap.
0 Replies
 
parados
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:48 pm
Wow.. you worked "production" on a B movie.. Rolling Eyes

As a PA did you do anything more than get coffee? Laughing I'm sure your coffee making skills will do wonders for making you eligible for SAG.


Oh.. Women's clothes in the US come in EVEN sizes but I guess that makes me the idiot for noticing you used odd numbers which are children or juniors sizes.
0 Replies
 
kitkat bar
 
  1  
Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 08:02 pm
May I ask where this sudden interest in acting came from? I have been in the Theatre since I was in the 7th grade. Believe me, they need actresses of all shapes and sizes and ethnicities and ages. As for how you can perform on stage, anyone can act...those that are sucessful are because they have a passion for doing so. I'm young, thin, and thought I had the passion for acting but never got cast in anything. Thats why I decided to be a director instead. Make sure you do your research before auditioning for a play (or film for that matter), don't kid yourself in thinking you can just show up with no idea about the play, the characters, and you haven't acted in while and expect to get cast.
0 Replies
 
qgishere
 
  1  
Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 02:18 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
DrinkCleanNoww - If a person attempts something, she may or may not succeed. If she doesn't try, she automatically does not succeed. The probability is much better if the person tries.

Yeah, being an actress is a tough gig. But it is certainly worth the attempt.

I am much more curious about your negativity and pessimism. Is that your usual way of looking at challenges?



I think you've said it all :-)
0 Replies
 
dartemis
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 02:47 am
@Noddy24,
how did she get it started?
Setanta
 
  1  
Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 04:10 am
@dartemis,
You responded to a post that Noddy made more than four years ago. She has "passed on" since then. She won't be responding to your question.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/27/2020 at 05:34:36