Am I too old and fat to become an actress?

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 08:41 am
I am 37 years old and weigh approximately 165 and Iamb 5'5". I have no experience(except for when I was in school I was in a play and had 3 different parts and I tool drama in highschool), I realize I would have to go to school, but is it even worth my time to begin that journey bean Iamb 37 and a little thick? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 15,084 • Replies: 62
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:12 am
Yes. You're never too old or too fat. Whether you have enough patience and fortitude is the real question.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
Go for it.
Life isnt a dress rehearsal.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:45 am
As long as your goal isn't to play ingenues, be famous, or make bucket loads of money then you should have no problems. Lots of working actresses aren't 20 and thin.

Why do you feel you have to go back to school? The best training for acting is acting. That means going out and auditioning, getting cast, and doing all the things required to play the part to the best of your ability. Yes, acting does require certain technical abilities that can be taught in a classroom but you only learn how to really use them by doing it. Every major theater company has classes of some kind usually taught by actors. Take a few classes, ask a lot of questions and see what they have to say.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:02 am
No. Bette Midler is fat, looks like she got smashed in the face with a sledgehammer, is annoying as hell and is a successful actress.

Go for it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:07 am
I knew a "character actress" in L.A. -- basically that's what the non-model-types are called. She said that the field is glutted with pretty young things who want to become the next Julia Roberts (at the time, maybe Scarlett Johansson now, who knows), and that it leaves a relative vacuum for the "character" parts. Mothers, neighbors, teachers, busdrivers, whatever.

Character actors/ actresses rarely get the big bucks, of course, but hardly anyone gets the big bucks anyway.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:16 am
Camrin Manheim
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:42 am
This time of year community theatres are casting their winter shows. Why not go to tryouts?

The sister of a friend of mine--she's 72, dumpy and a bit frumpy--makes an occasional bit of extra income as an "actor" in group shots for commercials. Her career in show business started two years ago.
Amigo

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:48 am
niceitaliansis you have to try on one level or another. Even as a hobby or it will haunt you. I became a happier person when I decided to follow some of my passions even though I know it is very slime that I will see comercial success.

Do it for the love and fun of it and to have something that is yours in your life. It will cost you and there will be people that mess with yo just for trying but you will be happier.

Just go and check out the first step.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:58 am
Anyone remember Sydney Greenstreet?

Quote:
His film debut, occurring when he was 62 years old and weighing nearly 300 pounds, was as Kasper Guttman in the classic The Maltese Falcon (1941), with Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002113/bio
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
To old and Fat?
To be real, I don't think you should go for it. Focus on something you could have a better chance and have less competition. Maybe in you next life. I am usually more optimistic, and it really is never to late to throw in the towel. But be real. Unless you get extensive surgery your only getting older. By the time your ready, life passed you by.

Life comes at you fast

You probably have a better shot at becoming an Olympian
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 01:44 pm
Idea
you probably have a better shot at being an Olympian
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 03:16 pm
DrinkCleanNoww - She doesn't want to be a movie star...........she wants to be an actress. There are plenty of people earning a decent living playing character parts in local theatre.

As a very wise man, Joseph Campbell, once said,

Quote:
I even have a superstition that has grown on me as a result of invisible hands coming all the time - namely, that if you do follow your bliss you put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while, waiting for you, and the life that you ought to be living is the one you are living. When you can see that, you begin to meet people who are in your field of bliss, and they open doors to you. I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid, and doors will open where you didn't know they were going to be.

http://www.jcf.org/bliss.php
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:06 am
I dont think extras get paid.

And I really doubt she will make any kind of income anytime soon.

Although Rodney Dangerfield started at 19, got married at 27 then took a long break until 42.

But with all seriousness you know yourself best, make your own decision.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:48 am
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
I dont think extras get paid.
You maybe should have stopped that sentence after the first 3 words.

http://www.amazing.com/creations/show/3062

The only extra work I have ever seen that is not paid is on really low budget indie films with nonunion actors or on student films. Even non union TV spots pay their extras. When you are paying thousands or tens of thousands a day for director, camera and crew why would you risk some unpaid person screwing up your shooting?

Quote:

And I really doubt she will make any kind of income anytime soon.

Very possible but then making an income soon isn't a goal of someone thinking they have to go back to school.

Quote:

Although Rodney Dangerfield started at 19, got married at 27 then took a long break until 42.
Sounds like a lot of the overnight success stories.
Quote:

But with all seriousness you know yourself best, make your own decision.
Finally some good advice.
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:42 am
parados
I was being sarcastic about Extra's. Yes they get paid, but you do not want to be stuck doing extra work. Maybe 2-3 times then leave it at that.
And pay is not that great for the commitment and time it takes to do some extra work.

Rodney Dangerfield is not an overnight success story. He started comedy at 19 through 27. Got his wife pregnant had to change his profession for the kids. 42 got the time, felt it was the right moment, and started back up again. How do you get overnight success over that?

You need money to go to school, food, lodging, books and time. My perspective it took you 37 years to get to this point, you really think you will achieve your goals? Then again better late than never, right? I say don't sit around and wait for answers here and go make your own.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
Wow, what a downer you are, Drink... a person can do anything they want to do, didn't your parents ever tell you that?

Nice - of course you're not too fat! Look at all the chubby but successful actors out there - your size has NOTHING to do with it.

I agree with the others who said Go For It! You'll have fun, meet people, learn things... and there's always the local theatres who are constantly seeking people to do the bit parts - plus some of them hold classes in stage managing, acting, lighting, etc.

You can look on it as a hobby until you get trained up, then step out and find a decent agency to represent you.

Good luck, and don't listen to naysayers.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:07 am
Re: parados
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
My perspective it took you 37 years to get to this point, you really think you will achieve your goals?

Shocked Evil or Very Mad

That's an awful thing to say. (Not to mention poorly written.)

Hey, you know what would be a good career for you? Going to schools and beating the dreams out of children! You could have a presentation entitled, "It Took You 12 Years to Get Through Elementary School, You Really Think You'll Achieve Your Goals?"

"No, no, you're too dumb for med school, Timmy, here's the name of a military recruiter. Not the Marines, either, they have standards."
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
And anyway, 165 lbs at 5'5" is NOT fat. You're just voluptuous Smile And you'd be a hit in Renoir's day, let me tell you!
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 12:04 pm
Cypher
"Not the Marines, either, they have standards."
After correcting my grammar, your write this? Shame shame. Hard to believe your a seasoned member

No, I am not here to shatter dreams, I am voicing my opinion. This lady is lucky, this discussion seemed to be all one sided; "Go for it". Nice, it is very competitive and tough out there, not only in the field you are interested in, but daily life as well. (Bills, relationships, careers, education, and life) As I am sure you already know. So to answer your question; you know yourself best, are you capable to getting education loans, changing your spending habits, your schedule, and do you have the resources available to do this? If so, then do it. If not, think of something else. Always have a back up plan.

If you look at my previous posts, I said "But with all seriousness you know yourself best, make your own decision"

She came on here asking for others opinions, I am not going to sugar coat it with rainbows and gumdrops.

Yea my parents taught me to set goals and to achieve them, glad I started at a young age.

Like I said earlier "Then again better late than never, right? I say don't sit around and wait for answers here and go make your own. "

Can you still call me a naysayer? Maybe skeptical about if she will attain her dreams, definitely not a naysayer.
0 Replies