Am I too old and fat to become an actress?

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 12:10 pm
Re: To old and Fat?
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
To be real, I don't think you should go for it. Focus on something you could have a better chance and have less competition. Maybe in you next life. I am usually more optimistic, and it really is never to late to throw in the towel. But be real. Unless you get extensive surgery your only getting older. By the time your ready, life passed you by.

Life comes at you fast

You probably have a better shot at becoming an Olympian

This is not naysaying? Give your head a shake.
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm
naysaying
Yes that is naysaying. I guess I am naysaying, I said earlier I am skeptical if she will be able to achive any of this. So I am going to stick with that. Glad she has people like you to give her the support, but dont lose your voice over it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 12:35 pm
DrinkCleanNoww - If a person attempts something, she may or may not succeed. If she doesn't try, she automatically does not succeed. The probability is much better if the person tries.

Yeah, being an actress is a tough gig. But it is certainly worth the attempt.

I am much more curious about your negativity and pessimism. Is that your usual way of looking at challenges?
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:06 pm
phoenix
not at all
That was one of my earlier comments, I said I was usually more optimisitc. But the field she is entering into will more thank likly not support her. You are correct, she should attempt.

But why waste more time and achieve something more attainable. It would be a shame if Nice sacraficed so much to get so little. I suggested that she focus on something else, like option B in on her list, something that would turn more of a profit maybe. Inflation gas loss of business, Acting is a far shot.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Maybe she WANTS to be an actress, Drink.

Would you eat something you didn't want just because it was more readily available?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:38 pm
Mame- Exactly.

To me, the acting profession is a calling. If niceitaliansis has this need to express herself through drama, she should go for it, or she will kick herself when she is an old lady.

No one is telling her to quit her day job. She could take a class, get involved in community theatre, etc. In that way, she will get a sense of whether this is what she really wants to do with her life. If she likes the life, she could then take steps to make acting her primary vocation.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
Mame wrote:
Maybe she WANTS to be an actress, Drink.

Would you eat something you didn't want just because it was more readily available?

I frequently go to a cheap burger joint even though I don't want a cheap burger instead of getting steak at Smith and Wollensky because I don't have the monetary resources to go to Smith and Wollensky.

A...HA!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:45 pm
Kicky- But if you REALLY craved a Smith & Wollinsky dinner, you would not spend on something else, in order to have what you wanted.

Life is a series of choices. Some people like to play it safe, be comfortable, and mildly happy. Some extend themselves, take a risk,and go for the brass ring. Which is better? Only each individual can answer that for himself.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:26 pm
Re: Cypher
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
"Not the Marines, either, they have standards."
After correcting my grammar, your write this? Shame shame. Hard to believe your a seasoned member
Laughing Okay, well, with great difficulty I'm going to resist the temptation to continue playing grammar Nazi here. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what your point about member status was, but I'll just say that luckily for all of us, here at A2K you're allowed to attain delicious seasoning just by prattling. So stick around; maybe you, too, will be given some sort of sauce or marinade!

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously; I suppose you feel that you're just being the voice of reason. But to my mind, saying something like, "At 37 years old, you really think you can achieve your goals?" just comes across as plain mean-spirited.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:11 pm
Re: Cypher
cyphercat wrote:
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
"Not the Marines, either, they have standards."
After correcting my grammar, your write this? Shame shame. Hard to believe your a seasoned member
Laughing Okay, well, with great difficulty I'm going to resist the temptation to continue playing grammar Nazi here. Anyway, I'm not entirely sure what your point about member status was, but I'll just say that luckily for all of us, here at A2K you're allowed to attain delicious seasoning just by prattling. So stick around; maybe you, too, will be given some sort of sauce or marinade!

You're entitled to your opinion, obviously; I suppose you feel that you're just being the voice of reason. But to my mind, saying something like, "At 37 years old, you really think you can achieve your goals?" just comes across as plain mean-spirited.

Well, I'm the Second-in-Command Nazi Grammar SS - it's not "Hard to believe your a seasoned member", it's Hard to believe you're a seasoned member"....

By the way, a friend of mine was an accountant, and at 40 she went back to school to become a nurse. Nursing happily these days, she is.

Another friend, who was a prof, went back to school to become a lawyer - his age when he entered law school? 48.

There's also a lady who just graduated from our local university with a Bachelor's degree at the age of 83.

Anything is possible.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:14 pm
You know what Drink/Clean which sounds like Clean and Sober, but not Sane.

It sound like you are projecting your own lack of courage to take on the world and do your thing on someone else. That is awful and you should apologize. It doesn't even qualify as well meaning stupidity.

My dear aspiring actress if you have a dream and a sincere desire to work hard, make it happen. Nothing is out of reach.

Its okay to be who your are. Just give yourself permission and go for it.

Sg
0 Replies

niceitaliansis

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
Re: parados
to be honest with you its people like you that give actors and actresses a bad name, for someone who doesn't know me at all or what I've been through, you sure think you know where Iamb coming from just because of one question I ask. I really dent want any more of your comments.
DrinkCleanNoww wrote:
I was being sarcastic about Extra's. Yes they get paid, but you do not want to be stuck doing extra work. Maybe 2-3 times then leave it at that.
And pay is not that great for the commitment and time it takes to do some extra work.

Rodney Dangerfield is not an overnight success story. He started comedy at 19 through 27. Got his wife pregnant had to change his profession for the kids. 42 got the time, felt it was the right moment, and started back up again. How do you get overnight success over that?

You need money to go to school, food, lodging, books and time. My perspective it took you 37 years to get to this point, you really think you will achieve your goals? Then again better late than never, right? I say don't sit around and wait for answers here and go make your own.
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
replies
That grammar correction was intended for cypher. I didn't proclaim myself the grammar guru, I was correcting her as she did me.

Really I don't even think Nice is reading any of this. She hasn't responded to anyones posts. SO now it has turned to debates that will never end.

By the way I know actors who have given up everything, give all their commitment to acting and now live on the street.

An old friend of mine was in a band for how many years, close to 24. Spent lots of money trying to make it big, he was great and had steady following. He realized he was not going anywhere all those years so he got in over his head on loans to pump up his band. Now he has no guitar, he had to sell everything he had b/c of bankruptcy.

Anything is possible. Just analyze your anything and see what you have to do to get there.

ALSO I know a guy who ate cheeseburgers all the time b/c they were readily available and inexpensive. One week he decided he was going to save his money and go to Ruth Chris Steak House (AWESOME STEAK), took him over 3 weeks of ramens and budget cuts to get there, but he did. Loved every bite, that night he got so sick he threw up, cold sweats, b/c we were in college he just let it go. After 2 weeks he went to the doc. said he had E Coli. Ruth Chris Steak House said you cannot prove it was from their steak house b/c it was 2 weeks ago. Imagine how bad that sucked.
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:56 am
Here's another cautionary tale.

I knew a man who was a very successful anesthesiologist in his forties. He had always wanted to be an actor, and when I knew him, he had started doing some acting (one or two shows a year) with the local professional theater company where I worked. He told me that he was going to retire from his practice when he turned 50 and act full time. He died a month before he turned 50.

Like DrinkClean says, anything is possible.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:09 am
Actually, I was the one who said anything is possible, and on a more positive note, I have a niece who became a street kid at age 12. She and her dog roamed the city, bumming handouts and hanging out with other street kids for about 5 years.

One day she decided she'd had enough, moved home, went to an Alternate High School, got her diploma and entered university. She's now nursing all over the world.

Wanting to do something, like acting, and getting involved in it doesn't mean a person's going to become a star, or that they even want to become a star. I love the theatre, and for several years I volunteered behind the scenes. No way you'd get me up in public! But at least I was in a milieu that I found fascinating. I met a lot of great people and had a lot of fun. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Quite possibly niceitaliansis will get involved somehow and just enjoy herself. But if you don't try, you won't get anywhere, which is why I say Go For It. This life is too short to be chicken-hearted.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:11 am
You're an excellent example of that, mac11, with your recent successes in your weight loss. Thinking of losing that much weight may have sounded daunting at the beginning, but you took it one day at a time and look at you now. You're amazing.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:27 am
You only get one turn. Don't finish the game saying If only I had....
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:04 pm
Wow, thanks Mame!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:12 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

DrinkCleanNoww

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Re: parados
niceitaliansis wrote:
to be honest with you its people like you that give actors and actresses a bad name, for someone who doesn't know me at all or what I've been through, you sure think you know where Iamb coming from just because of one question I ask.

Hey I just gave my opinion. Get back to me when you achieve your goal let me know you made it, I will be happy for you.

SG, drinkcleannoww came from my new water system I purchased for the house That is how I found A2K, to make inquires on my new water system purchase.

I am in the Army, unfortunately about to deploy overseas for 12months, newly wed and happy, new house, nice cars, great dogs and horses at the stable, 12 classes to go for my bachelors I am only 24yrs old. Lack of courage? I don't think so.

When I return and graduate, I plan on continuing my education and practice in film. I have taken an On Camera Workshop Class, a Film Audition Clinic, an 8 Week Scene Study, Advanced Acting for Film, and a wkd Acting Boot Camp. Did stand up comedy and improve classes as well. Landed 2 commercials independently, did not sign with the agency because of my work/school schedule, cannot offer the commitment. I expect to take 5 - 7 classes overseas online. I should graduate shortly after my return. Then I will dive into acting, sign with my agent, network and book the commercial's. If things don't swing our way, at least I have something to fall back on.

Nice, I have no idea where you are in life, you came on here and asked a question, I gave you an answer. Man up and take life by the horns, quit asking for other peoples advice if YOU'RE not going to find it constructive.
peace
0 Replies